Scotch!!

gooberdude

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #160 on: 17 Mar 2007, 11:18 pm »
Carlman is hitting the winners with both Oban and Dalwheenie...been getting into the scotch lately.

dug into some aardbeg & laphroig but the peaty stuff is givin me heartburn.

Macallan 18 yr is good, and i've had a glenmorranghie that was tasty.

ctviggen

« Reply #161 on: 13 Apr 2007, 04:09 pm »
Right now, I have Signatory Port Ellen 24yr 1975  Oak Wood (I think), a Cadenhead Ben Nevis 14yr 1986, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and Hazelburn (8 yo, by Springbank).  I'd rate them in this order (best = Port Ellen), but it depends.  The Port Ellen is mellow and can be overshadowed by the others. If you have the PE first, it's very good.  If you have it after drinking anything else, it disappears.  All of them are better with water (a necessity with the Ben Nevis and the Ardbeg, as these are cask strength). 

gooberdude

« Reply #162 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:42 pm »
I'm sold on using bottled water only & spring water at that, to calm the scotch down a bit.  Not 50/50, but just a splash of clean h2o.

For a while i'd stick an ice cube in the glass, let it melt for a while & then enjoy.  The chlorine in tap water does kill the taste a bit & i don't think the cold from the cube assisted either....

I had a Glen Roth a few weeks ago, good stuff.    When i was home over Easter my cousins told me of a bar in St. Louis with 99 Single malts on hand.  Can't wait to visit again...

dwk

« Reply #163 on: 13 Apr 2007, 06:20 pm »

Well, on the 'other end' of the scale, I recently discovered "Jon, Mark and Robbo". (http://www.jonmarkandrobbo.com). They seem set on de-snootifying the Scotch world, and have a few offerings that look to be rather too cartoonish to be taken seriously. However, it turns out that 'Robbo' used to be the Master Distiller at Macallan, and so there's a bit more here than you might think.

I tried the "Rich Spicy One" and the "Smoky Peaty One" and give both a qualified thumbs up. the Spicy one reminded me of Macallan 12. The Smoky one didn't bring anything specific to mind, but is a perfectly drinkable mildly peaty sorta-Islay Scotch. Given that they run $30 per bottle, I'd say they're pretty good value.

On the other hand, the same store had Lagavulin on sale ($68 - lowest I've seen it in quite some time) and, well, it's on a whole different plane. Still without a doubt my favorite.

ctviggen

« Reply #164 on: 13 Apr 2007, 06:33 pm »
Laga is great.  I've had the Smoky, Peaty One, and I thought it was good for the price (hey, any scotch under $30 is good!).  Wow, 99 single malts.  That's a ton.  Here in CT, I can't really find a store with a good selection; I've taken to ordering off the 'Net. 

Scott F.

« Reply #165 on: 13 Apr 2007, 07:18 pm »
I can't remember if this got posted here or not but here is a pretty cool website devoted to Scotch.

http://www.singlemalt.tv/

ctviggen

« Reply #166 on: 17 Apr 2007, 11:39 pm »
I read a "how to taste scotch" article.  The guy recommended putting some water into the scotch, then capping the top of the glass wtih the palm of the hand, swirling for a while, and then uncapping the top of the glass and immediately nosing the scotch.  This really does help bring out the flavors.  A scotch like Hazelburn is almost impossible to smell (even with a scotch glass) without this technique. 

ctviggen

« Reply #167 on: 3 May 2007, 05:37 pm »
By the way, the Port Ellen I had was fantastic.  If you're into Port Ellen, you should get it now, as the bottle I purchased for $150 is now over $200.  It's not a bad investment bottle, either. 

gooberdude

« Reply #168 on: 3 May 2007, 06:22 pm »
Why do you think its necessary to cup your palm over the glass???     Or is it for aromatic enhancement?

I'm sold on only using bottled spring water in my scotch...nothing with flouride or chlorine should be added.

Over the weekend I tried some Irish Whiskey - Red Breast.   its a whole lot better than Jameson!

ctviggen

« Reply #169 on: 3 May 2007, 06:30 pm »
Red breast is good!  Holding your hand over the glass is just to concentrate the flavors in the air that's in the glass.  It really does work.  Also, if you're into whiskey, you have to get a glass dedicated to whiskey.  I have a glass specifically made for scotch, but a brandy snifter, on the small side, works well.  The glass has to taper at the top to concentrate the smells.  I've tried to drink scotch/whiskey in regular, open mouth glasses, and the smell doesn't concentrate enough.  I have one of these, but they're too expensive:

http://www.novascotiancrystal.com/products/sets/6626

ctviggen

« Reply #170 on: 3 May 2007, 08:03 pm »
I can find a ton of appropriate, relatively inexpensive glasses...if you want to order from overseas.  I can't find many in the U.S., though.  My friend bought a whole set, though, so it should be possible to find the right glass without spending an arm and a leg.

ctviggen

« Reply #171 on: 3 May 2007, 08:41 pm »

nickspicks

« Reply #172 on: 4 Jun 2007, 01:06 pm »
i know I've chimed in on this thread over its lifespan...
but I feel the need to speak up again as I recently got turned on to a very drinkable....hold your breath...., BOURBON.  I probably all ready brought this up prior, so consider this a refresh.

before you run for the toilet, try a glass of BULLEIT.  Runs around $25.  Not too sweet.  Good neat, or watered (i love it over ice).  Its a whiskey with good American culture behind it.  check out the web site.
http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/

I've been on a budget this year, and $60+ bottles of scotch have been absent from my cabinet.  Cheaper than Laphroig (my favorite inexpensive Islay), and so enjoyable....its been the only whiskey I've purchased in a long time.  No regrets...other than emptying one.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #173 on: 4 Jun 2007, 02:01 pm »
They may have originated from the same place, but Scotch and good golf game are mutually exclusive.  :nono:  I had one (or a few) too many Scotch at a wedding reception -- I think I was still getting drunker as I went to sleep.  I still made my 6 AM tee time feeling very woozy.  I should have just stayed home and slept off my hangover.  I ended up shooting 86, losing money and generally felt miserable.  When you feel dizzy looking down at a putt, it's not good.  By contrast, I shot 73 and made money the day before.  I should know better at my age  but I have a hard time saying no when the bartender keeps pouring....  :oops: :oops: :oops:

BTW, if you tip the barkeep even at an open bar event, they take care of you.  They were puring some good stuff by the end of the evening, which made it harder to resist.

gooberdude

« Reply #174 on: 4 Jun 2007, 02:15 pm »
I've had Bulleit on my short list to buy for a while, just ahven't pulled the trigger.   $25 a bottle is A-Ok with me.   8)

Last time I dabbled in budget bourbon, i tried a bottle of Origine.   Its made in the U.S. and is quite drinkable neat.   less than $20 a bottle.

lazydays

« Reply #175 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:13 am »
Bushmill's is actually Irish Whiskey, not Scotch, but I agree with you that is is a very good inexpensive whiskey, better than Johnny Walker Red (but not better than JW Black).  Purists will surely turn up their noses, but it's still pretty good stuff, IMO.  One thing about Irish whiskey is that they triple distill, which give a little more smoothness at an earlier age, and they also shield the liquor from the peat smoke, so you don't the the peat or the smoke infusion like you do with scotch.  But for a mixing whiskey, Bushmills is tough to beat.

Also, 2nd on the Laphroaig, the 10 year old is the best under-$40 scotch, assuming you like a peaty tasting whisky (and I certainly do).

And I think you will really like the cask strength Macallans, powerful and sweet.  Went through the bottle I had in no time flat.  Careful, it is a LOT of alcohol.

Reading thru this evaluation of various scotches and burbons was interesting, but taste only refers to one's pallet. What I like other's wont, and vice versa.
    I one of those that think scotch is a waste of labor, and wouldn't trade scotch for a good bottle of Irish whiskey at anytime. But that being said I have drank more than my share of scotch (when somebody else foots the bill), and did find Oban and Jura to be my favorites. As good as the 16 year old Jura is, I personally liked the Superstition better. And will agree with your thoughts on Taliskar. Back to Irish whiskeys one must remember that Jameson alone must make 25 different kinds, and Bushmills makes at least a half dozen. They're taste is not a scotch, but something unique in its own way.
They are a killer on ice, and will get you in a lot of trouble fast. With that said I'll take a good Irish whiskey over sctoch anytime with a good cigar to back it up.
gary

ctviggen

« Reply #176 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:01 pm »
It is all about one's own tastes.  Additionally, tastes change.  Scotches I didn't like in the beginning, I'm now beginning to like.  Taste can even change daily or during a bottle.  For instance, I had Black Bottle, which is a mix of Islay scotches, and it had some strange taste to me.  For the final two drinks, though, I thought it was great.  Similarly, I had Highland Park 18 and thought it had a strange taste.  I then had it again, sometime much later, and thought it was great.  Also, the main review compares Ardbeg 10 and Ardbeg Uigeadail and states that Ardbeg 10 is better.  I think it's the other way around -- Ardbeg Uig is better, by a long shot, than Ardbeg 10.  Ardbeg Uig is also cask strength, which means I was diluting it a bit (20% I think).  Although it costs more than the 10 year old, if you factor in the dilution, it's about the same price.   

As for Irish v. Scottish, I think most Irish whiskeys are too sweet.  However, I also don't drink any whiskey over ice.  Ice will change the flavor and (possibly) mask a lot of the sweetness.  I used to like Redbreast a lot, but now I find it too sweet.  There are others I want to try though, like Connemara, which is a peated whiskey.   

Also, if anyone wants to try some relatively inexpensive whiskeys, try rye whiskeys.  These aren't too bad and can be really inexpensive. 

ctviggen

« Reply #177 on: 7 Sep 2007, 10:11 am »
These are the current scotches I have, along with some notes.  I wanted to take detailed tasting notes, but with a newborn, I'm lucky to be able to post this message let alone sit down with pen and paper to take notes for a scotch.  Also, I'm lucky to have a friend to split the cost of these.  This helps, even for the cheaper scotches, as you never know if you're going to like them.

Bowmore Dawn Port -- OK.  Would not buy again.  I can't quite get my hands around Bowmore in general.  I'm not sure whether I like any of them at times.

Bowmore 17 -- OK.  Not sure I'd buy again.

Glengoyne 17 -- great.  I'd definitely buy again.

Glen Rothes 12, distilled 1994 (Signatory) -- great.  I'd definitely buy again.  These two Glens were a revelation to me, as they aren't an Islay, yet I like them a lot.  I started out liking heavy peat, but now sometimes I think the peat overwhelms everything.

Bowmore 15 -- OK.  Better than the 17.  Not sure I'd buy again.

Longrow 10 Sherrywood -- great.   I'd definitely buy again.  I've had Longrow before (the 10 and the 10 cask strength), but sometimes the flavors aren't integrated well.  Sometimes I'll like these and sometimes I won't.  The Sherrywood changes all of that, though.  I like it every time and it's complex.

Springbank 12 Bourbon wood -- Very good. I'd buy again.  I still like the very briny version of Springbank the best, but the Bourbon is good.

Belvanie 17 New Oak -- Great.  Definitely buy again.

Bruichladdich 17 -- Great.  Definitely buy again.

Auchroisk 1993 (13 yo) (Murray McDavid) (Made by Bruichladdich) -- Still trying to figure this one out.

Midleton Very rare 2005 -- Fantastic.  Beyond great.  It's definitely Irish, though.  Luckily, the sweetness is tempered.

Talisker 25 -- Fantastic.  Much beyond great.  It has a bit more alcohol bite than I'd have thought but is incredibly smooth and very flavorful.  It's cask strength, so you can dilute to your taste.  Expensive even when splitting the cost of a bottle.

Bowmore Dusk -- Terrible.  Wouldn't buy again under any circumstance.   Have to choke down. 

Bunnahabhain 12 -- Very good.  This is my second bottle of Bunna.  I was unimpressed by the first, but at that time I was an Islay lover and Bunna is not really Islay (even if it is on Islay).  After reading all the positive reviews of this, I decided to retry this.  It's actually quite good, if you forget its on Islay and just go by taste alone. 

ctviggen

« Reply #178 on: 7 Sep 2007, 10:11 am »
Oh yeah.  Michael Jackson passed away.  He was a beer and scotch taster of great importance. 

honesthoff

« Reply #179 on: 7 Sep 2007, 05:49 pm »
Oh yeah.  Michael Jackson passed away.  He was a beer and scotch taster of great importance. 

RIP Beer Hunter.  One week ago today of a heart attack at the age of 65.