Lio as a preamp only (AVC) question

pgastone

Lio as a preamp only (AVC) question
« on: 9 Feb 2020, 10:43 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I have been looking to try a new preamp (currently Primaluna Dialogue Premium) and I have been interested in the LIO AVC.  I have a couple of questions:
1.  Are the additional modules like the Dac 2.0 and the phono still available should one want to add those?
2.  In one review (DARKO) I saw that the LIO can be used either as a pure passive by bypassing the tube buffer using internal jumpers. I just wanted to confirm this can be done without any additional parts. The reason I ask is that I would like to test how the passive version just using the Slagle volume control would sound in my system compared to the tube buffering.

The reason for all of this is that as good as I think my PL is I suspect that blue velvet pot may be muddying the signal a little.  As such I have been looking to try some alternatives and the LIO strikes me as very interesting option.

The PL is driving a pair of Pass labs XA60.5 which in turn are driving Thiel 3.7's.

Many thanks in advance to you and other forum members for your thoughts.

Vinnie R.

Re: Lio as a preamp only (AVC) question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:48 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I have been looking to try a new preamp (currently Primaluna Dialogue Premium) and I have been interested in the LIO AVC.  I have a couple of questions:
1.  Are the additional modules like the Dac 2.0 and the phono still available should one want to add those?
2.  In one review (DARKO) I saw that the LIO can be used either as a pure passive by bypassing the tube buffer using internal jumpers. I just wanted to confirm this can be done without any additional parts. The reason I ask is that I would like to test how the passive version just using the Slagle volume control would sound in my system compared to the tube buffering.

The reason for all of this is that as good as I think my PL is I suspect that blue velvet pot may be muddying the signal a little.  As such I have been looking to try some alternatives and the LIO strikes me as very interesting option.

The PL is driving a pair of Pass labs XA60.5 which in turn are driving Thiel 3.7's.

Many thanks in advance to you and other forum members for your thoughts.

Hi pgastone,

Welcome to the VR forum!

1) I only have new L2 DAC modules (based on the DAC 2.0, but with added super-regulator).  I also have a few trade-in LIO Phonostage modules (but they sell quickly, so
let me know if you want me to reserve one for you).

2) This is correct.  You can run the AVC/Tubestage in passive AVC mode, or AVC + Tubestage mode (only two jumpers need to be swapped to do so - its easy).
Even in passive mode, the Slagle AVCs will have no trouble driving the 20k input impedance of the Pass XA60.5.

I see you left me an email - I'll be back in the office this evening and will reply.

Thank you,

Vinnie

pgastone

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2020, 10:57 pm »
Thanks for your reply Vinnie- you pretty much answered what I needed to know.  Ok so no Dac 2.0 modules lying about but you have some phono ones.
With regards to the latter am I correct that for MC the maximum is 60db using built in transformers? 
And assuming you have it with one type of module one can change the loading remotely?

I realize these are trade-ins but out of curiosity would it possible to try the phono module?  If it isn't I understand.

In any event I would be interested - when you have a sec maybe you can reply to the email I sent you and maybe you can give me a sense of the cost etc.

Many thanks again!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:05 am »
Hi pgastone,

I just responded to all the questions in your email.

Best regards,

Vinnie