Which speakers go with Nuforce Icon Amp?

davidday

Which speakers go with Nuforce Icon Amp?
« on: 30 Nov 2010, 08:34 pm »
Hi all

First post here.
I plan to buy the Nuforce Icon stereo Amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers and need some help/advice as to which speakers match the Icon amp.

My current setup is a headphone system:

iPod Classic -> Onkyo ND-S1 iPod Dock -> Nuforce Icon HDP DAC/amp -> headphones

I want to send the HDP's pre-out into the Icon stereo Amp to drive the bookshelfs.
I have limited space for the speakers, with max depth of 23 cm.
The shelf on which the speakers gonna be placed is 26 cm deep so need at least 3-4 cm room for the cables.

I quite like what paradigm and Klipsch can offer:

- Paradigm Micro Monitor bookshelf speakers
http://www.paradigm.com/products/paradigm/bookshelf/monitor-series/micro-monitor

- Klipsch - RB-41 II Bookshelf Speaker
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-41-ii-specifications/

Any other idea is welcome!
Please let me know about your thoughts.
Cheers, David

tritisan

Re: Which speakers go with Nuforce Icon Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:26 pm »
I've been pleased with my old Paradigm Atoms (purchased a Salvation Army for $7.50!) driven by the Icon 1. There is a slight hiss, and the amp isn't powerful enough to go as loud as I'd like. I have to turn to the volume knob to 12 o'clock before I can even hear anything. I have just ordered the Icon 2 upgrade, which has 50% more power, so hopefully that will be enough.

Otherwise, I am very impressed by the definition and overall presentation of my system, which is augmented with an M&K V-75 Mk II sub to nicely fill out the bottom end.

davidday

« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2010, 08:28 pm »
Hi Tritisan

Thanks for your reply.
Can you update me once you have tried the Icon 2?

Interested if the plus 50% gives enough power.

cliffy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2010, 10:06 pm »
How about the Nuforce speakers?

I run the original Icon integrated into the original S-1 with the Nuforce Icon subwoofer.
Great sound for near field listening.  I have them on my desktop about 6 feet apart from each other.

davidday

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm »
I've heared the the s-1 speakers and they are fine but i quite like paradigm - probably because one of my first speakers was paradigm. Klipsch is in the picture as i have the opportunity to try it in my own space - just like the paradigm micro monitors. will see which one is better for my taste