Which NuForce Product? Icon or uDAC?

ayz

Which NuForce Product? Icon or uDAC?
« on: 17 Mar 2010, 09:07 pm »
I have these desktop speakers:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX5aDeluxe.html

So since they are bi-amped to 70W, i don't really need the amp properties of the Icon, unless I'm mistaken.

I was thinking on the Icon, I would be using a 3.5mm -> 2XLR cable to hook up the speakers to the Icon's line-out. On the uDAC, i'd use RCA -> XLR cables.

Give this situation, is there any real benefit to me getting the Icon over the uDAC besides just the Icon having additional analog inputs? I also sometimes use headphones (Sennheiser 595's) so I don't know if the amp properties of the Icon would make the headphones sound better than on the uDAC.

Also, when can we expect the uDACs to come back in stock on Amazon?

Thanks

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Which NuForce Product? Icon or uDAC?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2010, 10:08 pm »
No question about it, uDAC. Go with Icon HDP if you need the high-end performance.
Computer to uDAC to M-audio active speaker.
Plug in the headphone to uDAC and the speaker output automatically cut off (that's what I do listening at night on my desk).

You can carry uDAC with your laptop too. Awesome budget high performance gadget for $99.
We should start to accept orders again tomorrow. uDAC has been out of stock for more than a week.

ayz

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:25 am »
sorry, quick follow-up question. on the uDAC, if I hook up speakers to the RCA outputs and a coax line to the digital output, will it send out a signal to both or does one trump the other? thanks.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:14 am »
if I hook up speakers to the RCA outputs and a coax line to the digital output, will it send out a signal to both or does one trump the other? thanks

It won't work. You can only choose to have the analog or digital output (to get the S/PDIF output, you have to turn off the volume control).