Popcorn Hour B-110 video and music server

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Popcorn Hour B-110 video and music server
« on: 21 Aug 2008, 02:42 am »
We are working on the chassis for Popcorn Hour B-110 video and music server (no CD or DVD ripping).
For more info about B-110, see http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=7&main_id=0&category_id=

The chassis will have the same form factor as other Nuforce reference series products and look like this:
Note that the Nuforce logo is laser itched so it reflects different color when view from different angle. The logo itself has no color.

You can pre-order (delivery should be mid October) by sending email to directsales@nuforce.com.  Introductory price is $499 (with B-110 pre-installed, no HDD or wireless card). Without the B-110, your price is $300 (chassis plus external switching power supply). Again, this is introductory price only for a limited time.

Toka

Re: Popcorn Hour B-110 video and music server
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2008, 03:52 am »
I was wondering if you guys were going to work on something like this.  8) Will your unit support 7.1 analog out? It appears the stock B-110 does not offer this feature even though the jacks are present.

mandolin!

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2008, 10:45 am »
Jason
Excuse my ignorance but what is the extra cost for? ($499 vs $199 for the B110 by itself).

jocko

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2008, 12:46 pm »
Jason
Excuse my ignorance but what is the extra cost for? ($499 vs $199 for the B110 by itself).
Probably related to why entire computers cost more than just a motherboard.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2008, 11:13 pm »
The extra cost ($300) is the chassis and the power supply. These parts cost more than the motherboard. You can get a cheap ITX chassis with power supply at half the price too. The power supply that we provide is external and fanless (similar to those laptop PSU)

I think some Nuforce customers won't mind paying a little premium to have matching equipment. The chassis also allow you to pack 1 terabyte inside.

mandolin!

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2008, 01:22 am »
Thanks Jason,

I spent my money on the Icon and S1 speakers, so i'll pass on this one...

EAmin

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2008, 02:25 pm »
Hi Jason!  Are you guys still moving forward with this?  I hope so.  This is a very exciting product that a lot of people can enjoy.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2008, 08:21 am »
yes, please stay tune.

KrK

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:43 am »
More news about the music server?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2009, 10:03 am »
No, there isn't enough demand.

bizon

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2009, 11:30 am »
I would also be very interested in such a product, especially if it features 7.1 out like Toka asked!!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:04 pm »
Stay tune for the ultimate media server coming out from Popcorn Hour and Nuforce.  The ultimate device will be one that rip CD, stream any audio and video, plus bluray transport.

Toka

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2009, 10:08 pm »
Stay tune for the ultimate media server coming out from Popcorn Hour and Nuforce.  The ultimate device will be one that rip CD, stream any audio and video, plus bluray transport.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Caar

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2009, 10:13 am »
Funny, just yesterday I contacted one supplier to get me the best price for Ripserver+Linn Majik DS.
If what NuForce is to release is similar (at a lower cost, I hope) then I'll wait to compare specs and decide.
Having in mind NuForce quality, customer service plus identical looks to the ref9 series, I would go for NuForce.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:28 pm »
Okay, I'll ask the obvious:  When will it be available?  This Spring?  :wink:

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:29 am »
No way. May be summer if we're lucky.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2009, 06:25 pm »
summer....I was afraid of that.  Hopefully Summer won't turn into Fall.

JayDoubleU

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2009, 06:19 pm »
Jason, can you tell us anything about sound quality? I am considering the Logitech Transporter and the Linn streaming devices, all of which sound really excellent, even compared to very high-end CD-players. Will your NuForce/Popcorn Hour device be as hiigh-end in terms of sound? Anything on the prospective price point, compared to the Transporter and the Linns? I have almost finished ripping my music collection, so it's time for a streamer. Should I wait or not?

Thanks!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:31 am »
To get high quality music from source to destination, we have to look at several important devices:

The source - must have lossless and error free ripping
The music server - what to do when you have multiple servers and some of them might not be a server at all (a family could have more than 1 since everyone in the family collect their own music!). For example, the audiophile dad has big collection on a NAS server, wife has some high-bit rate iTune files on her Mac, etc.
Transfer mechanism - no DAC -> ADC -> wire, prefer direct digital from source to destination.  If send by wireless, must not have interference with any existing protocol.
Destination DAC - S/PDIF in and then analog out to preamp or power amp depending on the DAC's design and your configuration
Many existing solutions are looking at the problem for specific application. Client such as LinnDS, Logitech Transporter require the use of existing WiFi network (that imply sharing of network bandwidth) and a music server.

We are working with partners to solve all of the above problems, including sending 24bit/96khz audio directly from any device (computer included) wirelessly (but without network bandwidth sharing) to any device.

I believe Popcorn Hour is coming out with a device that allows for direct 7.1 HD analog decoding on board, with optional blu-ray transport.
The Nuforce (wireless) Audio Mesh Network technology to be release in the summer will be the foundation and enabling technology of many things to come  :thumb:
Sorry, this is highly confidential stuff so I can only offer some hint.
I will start another topic later on achieving this dream.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:53 am »
I forgot to mention that if you can get the error free source file to the destination, then you only need to focus on getting a good DAC at the receiving end, assuming you already have Nuforce amp and preamp  aa
I think what you want to avoid is overpaying for solutions that can become obsolete or limit your system (ie whole house setup).
The LinnDS or Logitech device force you to select the transmission scheme (ie via WiFi and UPnP music streaming) and a DAC.

We think you should be able to:
1) send better than CD quality data wirelessly from any digital source to any receiver with the receiver deciding which source to talk to.
2) we want you to be able to send high quality audio from PC, MAC, CD player, blu-ray player, iPod, etc all over wireless network throughout entire house and even building with no interference with existing WiFi network.
3) manage all the devices in the network

If you can be patient and wait for 5 more months, we hope to bring upon a big change to the audio market.