Bartok for everyone

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Bartok for everyone
« on: 23 Jul 2009, 04:03 am »
Since Bartok is considered "difficult" music, I'll throw my hat in the ring regarding music that is only respected at first.  But over time, you will come to love it, I promise.

To start off, I was watching "The Shining", one of Kubrick's masterpieces, and one of the pieces of music he uses is Bartok's "Music for String, Percussion, and Orchestra".  Which of course made me want to listen to some of the various recordings I have.  So far, I have to say that my favorite is:

Great performance, and a great recording in SACD format. 

Next up - the Piano Concertos!  Great music.  Spicy!  My preference is for something that really jangles! 

Angry music performed in an angry manner.

Next up - the most modern, angst filled music around (after Shostakovich, of course).  I'm talking about Bartok's incredible (miraculous) string quartet's of course!  For this, I must agree with Gramaphone - the Emerson recording just knocks your socks off:

Of course there's more to Bartok than that, but these are great recordings and great performances that should satisfy any Bartok-o-phile :)

Randy

Re: Bartok for everyone
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2009, 04:47 am »
 Don't forget "The Miraculous Mandarin," a ballet. This is considered the topnotch recording of the complete ballet, with an excellent Concerto for Orchestra as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Bartok-Miraculous-Mandarin-Concerto-Orchestra/dp/B00005Q670/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248324199&sr=1-5

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 04:50 am »
I have the Emerson quartets, they are great. But take a nap before you start, it's an adventure. As for Concerto for Orchestra, my favorite is

Kocsis

Awesome album, all the way around.  Anyone will love Bartok after learning this album. Then try the quartets... ;)

I tried a Bartok quartet on cassette in my late teens. I wanted to hear something different. It was  different alright, but I wasn't ready for it.   

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:32 am »
His violin sonatas are also quite interesting as well! I really like Tetzlaff in them.