Some really good potato chips

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 13 Jun 2005, 11:06 pm »
I have always thought that the Cape Cod brand chips were some of the best out there (I apologize in advance if these aren't available outside of the Northeast US), especially the Dark Russet variety.

Well, I now have a new favorite:

Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper

This is a spicy chip that really tastes great on its own or can be used in some dishes (for example, crush the chips up and use them to bread some chicken breasts).  

If you are drinking beer with the chips, a really nice Hefeweizen or crisp Pilsner is an excellent match.

Anyway, you can order the chips from the Cape Cod website (http://www.capecodchips.com) if you can't find them locally.

George

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2005, 11:24 pm »
George,

Agreed on the Cape Cod chips - really good stuff and they can be found, sporadically, here on the Left Coast.  Ditto on the Route 11 'dirty' chips...all the better with rich, crispy peanut oil (instead of normal cheaper corn, safflower, sunflower oil) used.

Not too shabby are Lays Naturals (ridged)....they are lower in fat by 30 or 40% and still taste half decent.  

Hey, I don't know if you have any in your neck o' New York yet, but Trader's Joe's Hawaii Kettle chips are very good AND very cheap.  I think they are in Queens now and I know they are in DC and Mass. now.

I'm a natural and sea salt purist kinda' guy, none of that bbq or salt & vinegar sissy stuff for me  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2005, 12:19 am »
I have a Trader Joe's about 10-15 minutes from my house and will check those chips out on my next visit.

If you order the Cape Cod chips from their website you pay $2.50/large bag + shipping.  Since my local Target store sells them for that price, I just grab a few bags when I am there.  

George

birdwizard

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2005, 01:35 am »
I'm the assistant manager of a Trader Joes and you guys just made
my day :)

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2005, 02:07 am »
Kettle Chips also sells at Trader Joe's, I believe, and they also have a salt and pepper ridged chip that is quite tasty.  The yogurt and green onion variety was good as well.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2005, 02:40 am »
Quote from: birdwizard
I'm the assistant manager of a Trader Joes and you guys just made
my day :)

Trader Joe's rocks.  I moved to NC and can't stand not having them... So much so that we 'stock up' every time I'm in DC.  Soy Vay, the nuts, the Thai stuff, the coffees... All my favorite stuff is there... and at reasonable prices.

What do I have to do to get one in NC?  Should I just open one? ;)

-C

birdwizard

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2005, 04:22 am »
Carlman,

Trader Joes is cheap partly because we have our own distribution and warehousing. So we're limited to spreading close to our current stores.  

The good news is that you will eventually get a Trader Joes in North Carolina, maybe within 4 years or so. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Charlotte will be the first location in NC.

Its nice to hear you are fond of TJ's :)

- Jason

eric the red

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2005, 06:38 am »
Sorry boys but the best potatoe chips in the world are Saguaro chips out of Arizona closely followed by Tim's Cascade Chips from right here in the Pacific N'West :hyper: http://www.taquitos.net/

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2005, 01:26 pm »
Jason, thanks for the TJ tip... looks like it'll be a while for us.. :(

BTW, I have always liked 'Zapps' chips from New Orleans... They have the best seasonings...

I also like just about any kettle chips that aren't too greazy.. which is tough to find... the Cape Cod's are a favorite... Utz is Ok but I've had better.  I really like Utz's cheesy poofs. ;)

-C

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2005, 06:59 pm »
Tim's Cascade-style are great!  I'm with eric the red!  Jalepeno flavor is my personal favorite.   :D

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:08 pm »
mmmmm, cheeeese puffs.
Ever try the white cheader flavor?

Carlman

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:39 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
mmmmm, cheeeese puffs.

Oh yes... I love it with Foster's beer for some reason.  However, Smartfood will always be my fave for white cheddar popcorn.

Soundbitten

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2005, 08:11 pm »
bacon rinds

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2005, 08:48 pm »
I'm starting to like popcorn:

http://www.popcornlovers.com/default.htm

It's easy to make, too, using the Alton Brown method:  put the popcorn in a paper bag, stapled at the top.  Microwave for the required time.  Put on butter, salt, etc.  I just picked up four varieties of popcorn, and it's amazing how different they are in taste, texture, etc.

electricbear

chips
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2005, 08:49 pm »
The best chips ( or crisps) are to be found in the uk. They have some awesome flavors like Lamb and Mint Sauce, Curry, Pickled Onion and even Hedgehog flavor. They also have the best Salt and Vinegar.

zybar

• Volunteer
Re: chips
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2005, 09:20 pm »
Quote from: electricbear
The best chips ( or crisps) are to be found in the uk. They have some awesome flavors like Lamb and Mint Sauce, Curry, Pickled Onion and even Hedgehog flavor. They also have the best Salt and Vinegar.

Having traveled a lot to the UK, I find it hard to believe a phrase such as "the  best" would be used with ANY of the food in the UK.

George

eric the red

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2005, 11:55 pm »
Mmmmmm....lamb and mint sauce flavored chips. How about some fried chicken skins in a bag, squid crackers or octopus flavored chips? Check out this thread http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?page_code=25  :hyper:

chadh

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2005, 02:15 am »
Terra makes all sorts of chips.  Many are funky vegetable chips: sweet potato (nice), spiced taro (really nice), parsnip (surprisingly not vile).  But their potato chips are without a doubt the finest I've ever tasted.  What's their secret?  It's all in the potato.  Yukon golds are the most awesome potatoes ever, and Terra's "Yukon Gold" potato chips are the most awesome chips ever.  They make great salt and vinegar as well.

I was eating cape cod chips this evening.  very nice.  But the Terra Yukon Gold chips are in a whole different league.  I get mine at Whole Foods.

By the way, why would I want hedgehog flavoured chips?

Chad

jermmd

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2005, 02:34 am »
What does hedgehog taste like?  I've never tried one.  There's some roadkill hedgehog I passed on the way home that might be worth investigating.  If I like it, I'll definitely have to try the chips.

hmen

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2005, 03:29 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
mmmmm, cheeeese puffs.

I've never understood Cheese Puffs. The texture resembles hardened styrofoam and after you eat them you have to surgically scrub your hands to remove the artificial color.  At least with potato chips and popcorn you know what they came from. Cheesepuffs in no way resemble anything in nature. Has anybody ever heard of home made Cheese Puff's?