HAL The Monoliths II planar speakers

HAL

HAL The Monoliths II planar speakers
« on: 23 Jul 2023, 01:01 pm »
Decided to try a test fit of the new Radian LM10n in The Monoliths open baffles.  They are a physical match and drop in. :)

Now to rework the dspNexus 2x8 crossover to work with these for improved dispersion characteristics!

This would be called Monoliths II!  :)

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: HAL The Monoliths II planar speakers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2023, 12:31 am »
Very nice!

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2023, 01:15 am »
First install of the Radian Audio LM10n planar and GR NEO3 into The Monoliths II test baffles. 

Will need to fill in the gap between the LM10n and the baffle.  Going to use Blu Tack as it does not harden and no residue.

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2023, 09:55 pm »
Now both Monoliths II speakers have the new Radian Audio LM10n planars installed.

Both sitting on the original 1x12 H-Frame modular subs.  Next is to wire them up to the dspNexus 2x8 system to start testing for the updated DSP crossovers.

Have the Orchard Audio Starkrimson 150W Monoblocks and new GaN SMPS to try with these.  Now a 3 way instead of a 2-way like the Magnetar II speakers at LSAF 2023.

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2023, 11:27 pm »
Now both Monoliths II speakers have the new Radian Audio LM10n planars installed.

Both sitting on the original 1x12 H-Frame modular subs.  Next is to wire them up to the dspNexus 2x8 system to start testing for the updated DSP crossovers.

Have the Orchard Audio Starkrimson 150W Monoblocks and new GaN SMPS to try with these.  Now a 3 way instead of a 2-way like the Magnetar II speakers at LSAF 2023.

The speakers look real good, Rich 👍 I’m also quite curious about any improvement using the SMPS.

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2023, 12:59 am »
The speakers look real good, Rich 👍 I’m also quite curious about any improvement using the SMPS.
Nick,
I used the new GaN 300W SMPS at LSAF and CAF this year and sounded great.

Would imagine that it would help with improved bass response for bottom end as well compared to the 250W original SMPS.  Not using them for bass response, so not really able to comment on that capability.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2023, 08:00 pm »
Time to wire up the Monoliths II's with Analysis Plus Oval 16awg cables for testing and listening. 

These are 2' long cables and will have gold plated copper fast-on connectors to the driver terminals.

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2024, 12:56 am »
The Monoliths II are setup for some testing.  The Parasound Z-Amp v3 fits besides the planars for 2' driver cables.

The CLIO system is setup with the calibrated measurement mic at center of tweeter height.

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2024, 01:23 am »
First set of measurements are done and DSP crossover for the Monoliths II's has been updated.

Have the dspNexus 2x8 running the new crossover and have signal through the planars. 

The Parasound Z-AMP v3 is driving the two planars.  Now to setup the 2x12 servo subs integrated with the planars.

Openly Baffled

• I'm an Open Baffle fan!
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2024, 08:30 am »
First set of measurements are done and DSP crossover for the Monoliths II's has been updated.

Richard, you have us all in suspense.
I am keen to hear your initial impressions of the LM10n and I bet there are lots of people keenly looking for a quality replacement for the Neo10.
Please share with us your thoughts,
Rohan

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2024, 11:25 am »
Richard, you have us all in suspense.
I am keen to hear your initial impressions of the LM10n and I bet there are lots of people keenly looking for a quality replacement for the Neo10.
Please share with us your thoughts,
Rohan
Rohan,
The thread on the Magnetar II speakers has more information on the LM10n's as a wideband driver covering 200Hz to 20KHz with the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover.  I showed them at LSAF2023 with two 3x12 OB servo subs with all attendees universally loving the sound.  The baffle is a modified version of the Monoliths II baffles for a single LM10n driver.

From my listening, there is no doubt that the LM10n is an improvement over the BG NEO10.  Even the mechanical housing is much improved over the BG. 

Once I have them both running, will post more listening impressions. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2024, 06:44 pm »

It may be me, but one of your servo-subs isn't as bright as the others.

:|

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2024, 07:29 pm »
It may be me, but one of your servo-subs isn't as bright as the others.

:|

Emo subwoofer.

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2024, 09:19 pm »
LOL!

That was the test Hot Rod Black automotive paint job on the original servo subs cabs.  Just did one to see how it looked.  The two 3x12's I took to LSAF2023 have that paint finish.

Made two new 2x12 servo sub connection cables today to complete the system.  The HX300-12OB's are now working with the planars.

The Monoliths II's are alive and playing music.  :)

Some level checks soon to make sure I have the driver levels matched.

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2024, 12:11 pm »
Did some DSP crossover rework of the Monoliths II with the CLIO Pocket system measurements and this is the on-axis farfield response in the room. 

Still have room modes to work on below 200Hz and possibly some tweeter response flattening that can be done.

HAL

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2024, 03:14 am »
At Danville Signal this week and modified their speakers to Monoliths II's with the LM10n planars.

Also have the two 4x8in servo sub towers here for listening session.  :)

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2024, 04:27 am »

You're not fooling us. You photo-shopped the cabinet colors!

:nono:

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2024, 05:06 am »
Nope.  No correction to colors at all from my phone picture.