Feedback from the Capital AudioFest 2023

Triode Pete

Feedback from the Capital AudioFest 2023
« on: 13 Nov 2023, 07:34 pm »
A big thank you to The Listening Chair’s Howard Kneller with Kemper Holt!!!

Our Room 314 coverage begins at ~6:15...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4uvFGgCq4k

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

Re: Feedback from the Capital AudioFest 2023
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2023, 09:24 pm »
Some nice feedback from Brian Hunter from Part Time Audiophile... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2023/11/13/day-two-of-capital-audiofest-caf-2023/

Day Two Of Capital Audiofest | CAF 2023

"Next up we had the Border Patrol room paired with Triode Wire Labs, Living Voice and Innous. Another svelte combination, this room really stood out for amazing tonal structure and rich vocal recreation. While the low end was really tight (especially considering the unpredictable nature of show rooms) and highs were also very “right” the mids in the BP room were most lovingly recreated in the most palatable fashion possible. With a small break in the foot traffic for the unusually busy room, I forced Gary Dews of Border Patrol to play my slightly embarrassing reference track from Taylor Swift’s Folklore album. Cardigan is one of the less busy song from the less busy album, and the system consisting of the S20EXD amplifier with Western Electric 300B tubes captured the slowed down pop vibe just right (starting at $21.5k). In addition to the classic 300B tubes in the main amp, the BorderPatrol DAC SE-i R2R DAC (starting at $1,650) used also included a tube stage as well. The total sum with the lovely veneer on the Living Voice speakers made for a solid presentation sonically and visually."

Thanks, Brian!

Cheers,
Pete

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2023, 12:37 am by Triode Pete »

Triode Pete

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2023, 12:09 am »
Some great feedback from Stereophile's Ken Micallef... https://www.stereophile.com/content/border-patrol-triode-wire-labs-and-living-voice

Border Patrol, Triode Wire Labs, and Living Voice

Hitting the show circuit without their usual running buddy, Greg Roberts of Volti Audio (who is taking a much deserved break), BorderPatrol's Gary Dews and Triode Wire Lab's "Triode Pete" Grzybowski joined forces with Living Voice Loudspeakers of Long Eaton, Derbyshire, UK.

The Room 314 system included a BorderPatrol DAC SE-I ($1650), an Innous Statement Music Server with Next Gen Power Supply ($26,200), BorderPatrol S20EXD power amplifier ($21,500), and the new two-way, 93dB/W/m, 6 ohm Living Voice R80 floorstanding loudspeakers ($42,750 or $54,250 depending on ... what exactly?).

Triode Pete's contributions included The Obsession NCF ($1499), the new Digital American II ($549) and High Power Digital American II ($749) power cords, Spirit II interconnects ($399/pair, regularly used by yours truly), and Passion USB cable ($329).

These guys always give good room, the Living Voice speakers this year providing a different attitude than the usual Voltis do, focusing on nuance, subtlety, and elegance. Two Brits and a boy from (New) Jersey get it done!

Thanks, Ken!

Cheers,
Pete

putz

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2023, 04:49 am »
Good seeing you at the show Pete. Your beverage really hit the spot. :beer:

Jersey??

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2023, 01:39 pm »
Here's some superb coverage from Twitter Machine's Michael Lavorgna... https://twitteringmachines.com/caf-2023-standout-rooms/

CAF 2023: Standout Rooms

BorderPatrol / Triode Wire Labs / Living Voice

In an interesting twist on tradition, Border Patrol and Triode Wire Labs teamed up with Living Voice and their R80 speakers, this version sporting outboard x-overs. I recently reviewed the Living Voice Auditorium R25A about which I concluded, “I enjoyed, relished, our time together and just remember that when it comes to listening to music on the hifi, there’s nothing wrong with pure pleasure.” These bigger brothers sing with a similar but, you guessed it, more authoritative voice driven by the robust 16 Watts on offer from the Border Patrol S20EXD amp. That small component with the peek-a-boo opening onto a EZ80/6V4 tube rectifier is Border Patrol’s DAC, which I also reviewed way back in 2019, “If you’re anything like me, or Herb Reichert who remains one of my favorite writers (and people), your ears, heart, and mind may tell you the same thing—Julie Andrews be damned! This is the sound of music!”

The Gear:

Living Voice R80 Loudspeakers ($54,250/pair)
Border Patrol S20EXD Power Amplifier (starts at $21,500)
Border Patrol  DAC SE-i (USB) ($starts at $1650)
Innuos Statement Music Server with Next-Gen Power Supply ($26,200 w/4TB SSD)
Triode Wire Labs Speaker Cables ($starts at $1099)
Triode Wire Labs Spirit II RCA Interconnects ($399/pair)
Triode Wire Labs Passion USB Cable ($329)
Triode Wire Labs The Obsession NCF Power Cord ($1499)
Triode Wire Labs High Power Digital American II Power Cord ($749)

Thanks, Michael!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2023, 09:49 pm »
Good seeing you at the show Pete. Your beverage really hit the spot. :beer:

Jersey??

Hi Paul,
Very nice to see you as well!!!

As far as Jersey, you're a Jersey guy! I'm an Islander guy!  :lol:

Cheers,