Tuner Replacement

1ZIP

Tuner Replacement
« on: 3 Dec 2011, 04:38 pm »
My Caver TX 11 finally died. So, I'm thinking of the following as possible replacements:

1.  Near mint McIntosh MR-78

2.  Sansui 919 (restored and modified if I can find a mint to near mint)

3.  Sansui 9900 (restored and modified) I'm leaning towards this one.

Any feedback on the three would be appreciated.

warnerwh

Re: Tuner Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2011, 02:17 pm »
A modded tuner is an excellent idea. I have a Kt 7500 which is truly excellent. Jim Rivers at FMtunerinfo.com modded for me as a nice favor. The sound quality is of the best sound available at any price. The signal to noise ratio is over 90 and the quality of the sound can rival cd's if the broadcast is quality. An antenna is a must for best reception.
My point here being you could spend less and get true excellence. Of the best sound available at any price. There's Joseph Chow who will mod a tuner for you. You may want to go to fmtunerinfo.com and do some research.
If it were me I'd go with a tuner I liked the looks of and the Sansui's are of my favorites. The Kenwood Kt8300 would also be on my list. The way I ended up with my highly modded Kenwood Kt 7500 was an odd coincident of sorts. Btw not all vintage tuners mod well so do your research. You're going to be shocked if you're coming from a Carver tuner.
You can only get maximum performance with an outdoor antenna. I had a stock tuner when I bought mine and just the antenna made it sound much better and quieter. The key to getting a nice tuner is patience on Ebay or Audiogon.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2011, 02:48 pm »
My Caver TX 11 finally died. So, I'm thinking of the following as possible replacements:

1.  Near mint McIntosh MR-78

2.  Sansui 919 (restored and modified if I can find a mint to near mint)

3.  Sansui 9900 (restored and modified) I'm leaning towards this one.

Any feedback on the three would be appreciated.

I have a buddy with a TU-9500 he might be interested in selling.  :thumb:

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2011, 11:26 pm »
Warnerwh;

Thanks for the info.

Any idea what's a reasonable price for a TU-9900 in excellent condition?