Wood case for modded DUET and Power Supply

Wayne1

Wood case for modded DUET and Power Supply
« on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm »
Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio showed a DUET in a custom made case at RMAF last year.

I commented on it's very good looks.

Lou and I have worked on a couple of projects together since then. To thank me, he sent down these cases.

These are too gorgeous to keep to myself. I have to share this with all of you.

The foam he is using around the DUET and power supply also has some EMI shielding properties.

He tells me that if there is enough interest in these cases, he would consider making more of them.

Rough ideas of pricing would be maybe $300.00 for the receiver case and possibly $450.00 for both the receiver and power supply case together.

Wood available are walnut, cherry, red oak, maple quatersawn white oak.  He may also offer the ebonized walnut but that will be more.

If you are interested in these, get in touch with Lou (at) daedalusaudio (.com)

Tell him you saw this on my circle.  :wink:

Lead time of 4-6 weeks.

mcgsxr

Re: Wood case for modded DUET and Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:57 pm »
That is beautiful joinery on those pieces, I love the dovetails, wish I could produce such gorgeous stuff!

brj

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:13 am »
Wow, very nice!  I didn't realize that Lou was offering custom work...

Just out of curiosity, why were the sides of the power supply enclosed, but not the Duet itself?

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:35 am »
Well, one side of the DUET has to be kept open for the antennas.

The front is open to see the little light and so you can press the button.

The back for the cables  :wink:

If the entire unit was enclosed the EMI resistant foam would decrease the wi-fi signal.

Perhaps you might be willing to take some pictures of the cases sometime, Brian?

I'm sure your gear and talent would result in much better visual images of these beautiful cabinets.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:30 am »
Brian (brj) stopped by tonight and picked up the modded DUET, power supply and cases.

He has said he will try to take some shots.

I am sure his work will show off Lou's much better than I could.

As soon as brj send me some shots, I'll post them here.

brj

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:06 am »
It will probably be a few days, as I don't expect to be home during daylight hours until this weekend, but I'll see what I can come up with.  The gloss on the (beautiful!) cabinets will make flash photos interesting, and having a half-decent camera doesn't guarantee even half-decent photos! :lol:

(Translation, I am most definitely not a product photographer, but I'm happy to experiment!)

audio 1

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:40 pm »
Talk about taking a basic box and turning it into a work of art!  These are beautiful and I am sure that there will be a demand for these.

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:50 pm »
Beautiful  :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:09 pm »
It will probably be a few days, as I don't expect to be home during daylight hours until this weekend, but I'll see what I can come up with.  The gloss on the (beautiful!) cabinets will make flash photos interesting, and having a half-decent camera doesn't guarantee even half-decent photos! :lol:

(Translation, I am most definitely not a product photographer, but I'm happy to experiment!)

Will there be models posing with the equipment Brian?  I can make myself available to support the recruiting effort if need be....  :lol:

Once again Brian is underselling his photography skills....the enclosures look great, can't wait to see pics!

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:07 pm »
I need to break out the drool bib for those. Gorgeous.

:drool: :drool:

brj

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:42 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
Will there be models posing with the equipment Brian?  I can make myself available to support the recruiting effort if need be....  :lol:

Oh yeah, that's right... I forgot about Art's custom modified Lonewolf pose... a nice audio component lean with some Crown Royal in hand instead of a beer! :lol:  Hmm... perhaps next time! :)

Quote from: arthurs
Once again Brian is underselling his photography skills....the enclosures look great, can't wait to see pics!

They are very nice... and the system works very well too! :)

FYI, speaking as one who forgot to ask Wayne for the SqueezeBox Controller ( :duh: ), it turns out you can set up a Duet without the Controller using the Net-UDAP software, which requires Activestate PERL to run.  It isn't exactly point-and-click, however, so I'd only recommend it if you are fairly familiar with your router and home network settings and comfortable with a command-line interface.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2009, 06:57 pm »

Hell, I'll do hair and make-up!

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm »
Here are a few of Brian's shots.

Just a little better camera and photographer :wink:

I have finally installed this combo in my HT system.

It LOOKS fabulous and sounds even better.

The wood and the foam do seem to lower the noise floor a bit.

HIGHLY recommended.

DUET owners should get in touch with Lou about getting a case for your very own.

tyree91

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:48 am »
Wayne, beautiful work.  I wonder if a closed end Duet case would be possible for those of us who use Ethernet?  Regards, Norm

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:03 pm »
Wayne, beautiful work.  I wonder if a closed end Duet case would be possible for those of us who use Ethernet?  Regards, Norm

I'm sure Lou would be able and happy to build you such a case.

Drop him an e-mail here