LS-9's are completed

Danny Richie

LS-9's are completed
« on: 5 Aug 2007, 08:14 pm »
LS-9's are finished, and I'd have to say that a new milestone is in place. I have not heard a better speaker. Give me a week to get them more burned in and I'll be glad to have guest over for audition.

The kit price is $2,695 for everything (everything but the wood) needed to build out a pair. All is in stock.

Sorry about the picture being a bit dark. I lightened it some already. It is hard for me to get a good picture of these from as far away as I have to be to catch all of them in a photo.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: LS-9's are completed
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2007, 09:42 pm »
WOOHOO!   

:guitar: :drums: :rock: :hyper:

They look great!

Danny, now that I have calmed down, :wink: are you bringing the LS-9's to RMAF this year?

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2007, 11:09 pm »
LS-9's are finished, and I'd have to say that a new milestone is in place. I have not heard a better speaker. 

I'm not surprised.  The LS-6's were the best thing that I have ever heard.  Even more drivers powered by the "he who shall not be named" amp was bound to be about as good as it gets.  I can't wait to drive up and listen. You say that you will be entertaining visitors next week?  Put me on the list.

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2007, 11:19 pm »
Hm...$4,000 speakers on $60,000 amps...

Interesting...   :thumb:

If you ever find extra time, can you comment a bit more on differences between the LS-6 and LS-9?

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2007, 11:39 pm »
These look very intriguing...

Will they be available as a finished product or just a kit?  If available as a finished
product, will it be an AV123 product? We'd love to get a pair in for a future review.

Definitely looks like a very cool design.  Please keep us posted...

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2007, 12:07 am »
$60,000 amps...

Oh now, those amps are only $50,000.

Will they be available as a finished product or just a kit?

I will be selling them only as a kit.

If available as a finished product, will it be an AV123 product?

They will be offered as a finished product through AV123.

If you ever find extra time, can you comment a bit more on differences between the LS-6 and LS-9?

Let me spend a little more time with them and A/B them side by side and I'll give you a better idea of the differences.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2007, 12:13 am »
$60,000 amps...

Oh now, those amps are only $50,000.

Will they be available as a finished product or just a kit?

I will be selling them only as a kit.

If available as a finished product, will it be an AV123 product?

They will be offered as a finished product through AV123.

Let me spend a little more time with them and A/B them side by side and I'll give you a better idea of the differences.
yes, $4k awreddy assembled, from av123 sounds mighty intriguing indeed.   aa

danny, i see you are using them w/the tweeters on the outside; is this due to the room configuration, or is this how you recommend running them, regardless of room configuration?  most speakers of this type are run w/the tweets on the inside...

regards,

doug s.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2007, 12:13 am »
If you don't want to wait for the AV123 products, I would contact Denny (Daygloworange) about building a pair of LS-9's.

Having seen the work Denny has done on other pairs of speakers, I bet he could make these large speakers blend quite nicely into a room.   :thumb:

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2007, 01:09 am »
Wow, these speakers make me reconsider getting back into custom building speaker cabinets. If there were only more hours in the day.

Looks like one hell of a system there Danny (and Gary). If anything, maybe a bigger amp :lol: :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2007, 02:29 pm »
danny, i see you are using them w/the tweeters on the outside; is this due to the room configuration, or is this how you recommend running them, regardless of room configuration?  most speakers of this type are run w/the tweets on the inside...

I recommend tweeters to the outside.

It is the woofers that anchor the imaging, and the tweeters that add the air, harmonics, etc. So with them to the outside the sound stage is a little bigger and less stacked between the speakers.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2007, 04:13 pm »
Wow Danny, they look super!  :thumb: Now, if only AV123 would get theirs released......

cujobob

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2007, 08:11 pm »
May we see a picture of the bass management system you've talked about?

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2007, 08:19 pm »
I don't have the LS9 networks built yet as Danny is still tweaking or just finished but either way it takes ~75 days for the boards to be built and shipped... I will post a photo of the LS6 networks and bass mananger once I get the OK from the boss...

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2007, 11:23 pm »
If you don't want to wait for the AV123 products, I would contact Denny (Daygloworange) about building a pair of LS-9's.

Having seen the work Denny has done on other pairs of speakers, I bet he could make these large speakers blend quite nicely into a room.   :thumb:

George

Thanks for the plug, George.  :green:

I've had a few inquiries for custom finished LS 6/9's. I've got a couple of cool ideas I think would look real nice. I'd love the chance to build out a set. Keep in mind, these will have different parts to the crossover to the AV 123 versions. So if anybody wants a custom pair, I'll make a sweet deal on the first pair. The caveat is, is that I get to run them in my system for a while. I'm thinking of a set for myself.  :P

If anyone is seriously interested, PM me. My schedule will soon be full with other projects not related to audio.

Cheers

World Leader Pretend

• Rosenow Sound Authority
« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2007, 04:40 am »
And by the same token I am getting ready to start building a pair of LS-9s for a customer overseas, so if anyone wants a pair while I have the shop set up for them PM me or email me now! 

I will admit that I don't have near the hours or experience of Dayglow, et al, but I have a full woodworking shop and plenty of outside expertise at my disposal. :)  I recently finished building a pair of AV-3s, which I think turned out well. 

I would be glad to work out details and build a pair if anyone of you are interested.  My finish technique would attach stainless steel to the sides and finish the front and back in gloss black.  I'm not good with wood veneers as of now.  I do however have a solid supply of food-grade stainless steel that turned out excellent on the AV-3s.   :D

WLP

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2007, 04:56 am »
Dude,

That's gorgeous work. Maybe you can price out the costs for each type of enclosure you build. Looks like the AV1, OB5, and AV-3 are in your list. Those are great bases as well.

Best,
Anand.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2007, 01:55 pm »
It's become apparent that I'm not alone in sitting on the fence for the LS-9's. I got quite a number of replies to my offer. The good news is, it's actually forced me to rethink things a little. Most of the inquiries are very serious, so I might actually do a production run of the LS 9's.

We had temporarily postponed taking delivery of a custom CNC machine. I've been on the phone this morning with the manufacturer, looking at lead times. I might actually choose now to get the machine at this point in time, rather than later.  :thumb:

That'll enable me to offer custom LS 9's at a price I couldn't before. If there are enough firm commitments from the people who inquired, it'll enable me to take this important leap forward in our manufacturing. So in turn, I'm going to work out as sweet a deal for everyone who's interested. The ideas I have for these LS-9's should look killer!  :drool:

I will give everyone who responded a quote on the version that they asked for, and what I might have in mind. I'll also give everyone first crack at the super deal :green:. But the caveat still applies!  aa

Sit tight and I'll get a response out to everyone who inquired.

Cheers

World Leader Pretend

• Rosenow Sound Authority
« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2007, 05:42 pm »
Dude,

That's gorgeous work. Maybe you can price out the costs for each type of enclosure you build. Looks like the AV1, OB5, and AV-3 are in your list. Those are great bases as well.

Best,
Anand.
Thanks!

I'm actually in the process of updating my web-building client, but when I get it back up I'll be sure to do that. 

The three that I have on my site were the ones that I was originally planning on building, but I was contacted about the possibility of building an LS-9 kit for a client. 

I would like to also build a pair of AV-1s to showcase the smaller end.   
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2007, 09:58 pm by World Leader Pretend »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2007, 06:54 pm »
The super deal pair of LS- 9's are gone!  :thumb:

But, it the meantime, I've thought up a couple of things to save some more costs for everyone else that's interested.

I'll follow up with everyone shortly.  8)

Cheers

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2007, 01:16 pm »
Denny, you have a pm...