New speakers in the works!

Brian Bunge

« on: 27 Jul 2004, 01:18 am »
It's been awhile since I posted anything so I thought I'd post some teaser pics of some speakers I've been working on.  The first pic is an MTMWW tower along with a WTMW center channel.  The second is a TM monitor.  They are just raw MDF cabinets at this point, but they will be using the Vifa D25 aluminum tweeter along with the new PE 5.25" and 7" aluminum woofers.

Let me know what you guys think.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:32 pm »
Well, I've been wondering what happened to my old bud from Georgia!
Interesting looking cabinets.  I've been thinking we need a replacement for the SCH center channel and it looks like you've got it.  That should have some customer appeal.  Those towers should be able to put out some low-distortion high-SPL sounds.  Finish 'em and let us know how they sound.  I'll call you one of these days.  I am overwhelmed at work - they powers that be gave me another division to take care of.  I'm convinced it's a plot to drive me crazy.  Oh well, it'll be a short drive. :?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2004, 09:52 pm »
Hank,

Well, this center is slightly larger than the SCH center.  This one is 11.5"H x 28"W x 16"D. :)

I figured they were keeping you pretty busy since I hadn't heard much from you lately.  I'll have to email you my cell phone number sometime so we can talk.

robertwb

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2004, 07:32 am »
I've heard some of those "inexpensive" aluminum cone drivers sound pretty good so these should be pretty impressive

the ones I heard were from MCM-but PEs look identical-and the ones I heard were 2.5 ways with 5" woofers-they had pretty good bass all by themselves

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:44 pm »
Robert, yes, the new PE aluminums appear to be quite the sound bargain.  And, with Brian's aluminum cone obsession :lol: , drivers with other cone material just didn't make his list.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:25 am »
Robert,

Are you referring to Mike Knapp's speakers?  If so, my Metals use the same 5.25" woofer.  I'll compare the Metals to these new speakers and see what I think.

Hank,

Yes, for whatever reason I really like the aluminum cones.  One thing I have noticed is that bass response seems more articulate with the aluminum cones vs. the paper cone speakers I've heard.  Or maybe it's simply the XO design.  I guess we'll have a better idea which is true in the near future.

robertwb

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:12 pm »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
Robert,

Are you referring to Mike Knapp's speakers?

yep-those are the ones

Brian Bunge

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:41 am »
Here's an updated pic of the center channel cabinet completely veneered and with 5 coats of poly.  It's ready for the XO parts that will be arriving next week.  I also took pics of the surrounds but the color just didn't come out right.  We'll be veneering the towers on Saturday.  I'm expecting them to look the best of all! :)

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:57 am »
WOW!  great job on the wrap!  Those look great.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:30 am »
Thanks, Max!  They really have turned out great.  I'm really eager to see how the towers look.  Busy grain like this obviously stands out more on larger surfaces so the towers should be real eye-catchers.

Rory B.

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2004, 04:01 pm »
The RAD Metal Theater?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2004, 03:27 pm »
I thought I'd post a few pics of the tower speakers for everyone to see.  I should have all the crossovers built soon and have them ready for the customer to pick up.  I can honestly say that I feel these cabinets are the best that we have ever turned out.

Here's a full frontal view of one cabinet:

Here's a side view:

And here's a closeup of the side that really shows off the figuring in the cherry veneer:

I should have pics of the veneered sub in a week or so.  We will be doing the veneering next Saturday.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:13 pm »
Well, it's been a while since I posted and I just realized that I never showed any finished pics of the towers.  Needless to say I'm totally thrilled with how this entire package turned out.  Very flat frequency response, great bass and clear highs.

Anyway, here's a finished pic of the towers.  Look for some announcements concerning new products and a slight name change to the business very soon.

Jason1

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:22 pm »
Those look awesome! Do you plan on adding them to the RAD line up?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:33 pm »
Yes, these along with the center and surrounds will be added to the line-up very soon.  Rory had mentioned calling them the RAD Metal Home Theater and that may very well be the name.  Wish I'd taken good pics of the completed center and surrounds before delivering them to the customer.  But we're doing a lot of work in his house (mounted the surrounds last week), including possibly building an A/V cabinet to house his equipment, so I'll definitely get some pics soon.  My dad is also building the same system so we'll have pics of that soon as well.

I may even offer an MTM monitor using the 5.25" woofers and maybe even one with the 7's.  That's probably a good idea seeing as there's going to be a big gap in price between the current MTMWW towers and the little two-way TM monitors.  An MTM would offer better dynamics and efficiency over the TM monitor as well so that's definitely something to look into.