20 Amp Surge protector -- OK to replace with 15 amp cord?

Wayner

Re: 20 Amp Surge protector -- OK to replace with 15 amp cord?
« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2017, 09:07 pm »
OK.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2017, 06:31 pm by Wayner »

Don480

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2018, 10:04 pm »
Hi, I know this thread is old but I hope someone can answer my question.  I have three Crown itech amps which are 20 amp.  I have been using a Furman 20amp to 15amp adapter since I do not have 20amp receptacles in my home, and thus far I have never had any issues or tripped my breaker.  I am shopping for a BrickWall or ZeroSurge protector and trying to decide what the better route would be.  Purchasing a 20 am surge and using a single Furman adapter to connect to the wall or purchasing a 15amp surge protector and using the adapters with my amps which I am currently doing?  Pros and cons?  Which is optimal for performance and protection?

Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:25 pm »
Don, I cant imagine why you use all these electric treatment stuff.
These equips wont add more Tension/Current to your electric energy, they will only try do something.

Why you need protection?
?Do you will run your beloved hi-fi system during a storm?
?Do you need let your expensive system plugged on the wall 24/7?
I unplug my system from the wall after a listening.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #63 on: 23 Jun 2018, 12:11 am »
Don, I cant imagine why you use all these electric treatment stuff.
These equips wont add more Tension/Current to your electric energy, they will only try do something.
Why you need protection?
?Do you will run your beloved hi-fi system during a storm?
....................................... .......
I agree.
Surge suppression is about high voltage events. The only difference between a 15A and a 20A point of use surge suppressor is the style of plug and receptacle that they have.
Both 15A & 20A dual receptacles have the same internal current rating. The only difference is the pin style.

The best surge suppression is a whole home system, installed at/near the main breaker panel.

Don480

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2018, 12:21 am »
I always thought unplugging equipment is bad for the caps but I suppose it’s only bad if you have it u plugged for a long time?  What whole house surge protector do you recommend?  I assume I need to get an electrician to install?  I was looking at whole house surge protection awhile back and got so confused when came upon a company that offers whole house solution but also recommended surge within the house as well...can anyone clarify if that is necessary if I install a whole house solution?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2018, 01:19 am »
I cant inform about caps life as I have not see any test on it, seems this is a rule thumb. I cant inform on house surge protectors as I located overseas.

If I complaint my power company on surge protectors they will install one such device at a additional cost. Sorry this poor help.

It could help to know if your house or building have a working grounding for lightning protection.

Don480

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jun 2018, 05:49 pm »
I was looking at couple website and they discuss three different stages of surge protection: service entrance protection, branch circuit protection, and point of use protection.  Some companies recommend using both point of entry protection and point of use protection.  Seems a bit redundant but the argument they raise is internal surges.  Will the internal surges within the house damage my equipment over time?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2018, 11:06 pm »
Will the internal surges within the house damage my equipment over time?
The idea behind it is that they protect your equipment.
After I had a PC power supply fried by a lightning during a ligh rain that hit the ground at 50m from my building I dont rely in these such protective devices.
My suggestion is dont let equipment pluged on mains after use, mainly at night.

Doublej

« Reply #68 on: 24 Jun 2018, 12:57 pm »
Hi, I know this thread is old but I hope someone can answer my question.  I have three Crown itech amps which are 20 amp.  I have been using a Furman 20amp to 15amp adapter since I do not have 20amp receptacles in my home, and thus far I have never had any issues or tripped my breaker.  I am shopping for a BrickWall or ZeroSurge protector and trying to decide what the better route would be.  Purchasing a 20 am surge and using a single Furman adapter to connect to the wall or purchasing a 15amp surge protector and using the adapters with my amps which I am currently doing?  Pros and cons?  Which is optimal for performance and protection?

Thanks!

It looks like the Furman adapter has a built in 15 amp limiter. I guess the question is do you care about resale value of the surge protector. If not then I would get the 20 amp version and use one adapter on the end of surge protector. If you do care about resale value I would leave the adapters on the Crown cords and get a 15 amp surge protector.

In either case the total current draw of the three amps combined will be 15 amps.

Don480

« Reply #69 on: 24 Jun 2018, 06:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  Confused with the resale statement.  Does the 20amp surge protector have higher lower resale value?  Or is there a different reason why?  I’m not damaging any of my components by using the adapter?

Doublej

« Reply #70 on: 24 Jun 2018, 08:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies!  Confused with the resale statement.  Does the 20amp surge protector have higher lower resale value?  Or is there a different reason why?  I’m not damaging any of my components by using the adapter?

While you are not damaging anything by using the adapter, where I live I expect a 20 amp anything to have lower resale value because it is very rare to have 20 amp receptacles in houses.  The people I know would just rather buy a 15 amp version of an amplifier, surge protector, etc. that plugs directly into the wall without an adapter.  YMMV.

Don480

« Reply #71 on: 25 Jun 2018, 01:32 am »
So if I decided to go the route of no surge protector and unplugging my equipment at night then what are you guys using to expand the number of outlets without hindering performance?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #72 on: 25 Jun 2018, 01:59 am »
I could use a inexpensive power strip, this seems very good.
No fancy audiophiles models, this is even EMI, RFI and Surge ''protector'' as you like.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS6Block--furman-ss-6b-6-outlet-power-strip

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jun 2018, 01:08 pm »
A used surge protector has little resale value.
A modified surge protector has zero resale value.

The NEC and UL have nasty rules about modifying completed assemblies.

Don480

« Reply #74 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:09 am »
If I went with one of the recommendations listed in here via Sweetwater; would that not be the same thing as going with a Zerosurge or Brickwall?  Wouldn’t that device by Furman also cause a bottleneck from one receptical outlet?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:34 am »
Wouldn’t that device by Furman also cause a bottleneck from one receptical outlet?
Yes if your appliances consume a lot of power, if you have several outlets available for them better.

Doublej

« Reply #76 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:16 am »
If you plug the Crown amplifiers into different electrical outlets in the house that are on the same circuit breaker the maximum electrical current to all three combined will be 15 amps.

This is the same maximum current as plugging the three Crown amplifiers into the Furman power strip. So any sound quality difference won't be related to the maximum electrical current.

I you want more maximum electrical current for your amplifiers you need to plug each amplifier into a separate circuit breaker. Then you'll be able to consume 3x15 amps or 45 amps of total current.

bluemeanies

« Reply #77 on: 26 Jun 2018, 01:10 pm »
If you plug the Crown amplifiers into different electrical outlets in the house that are on the same circuit breaker the maximum electrical current to all three combined will be 15 amps.

This is the same maximum current as plugging the three Crown amplifiers into the Furman power strip. So any sound quality difference won't be related to the maximum electrical current.

I you want more maximum electrical current for your amplifiers you need to plug each amplifier into a separate circuit breaker. Then you'll be able to consume 3x15 amps or 45 amps of total current.

I agree with Doublej...the best way to go is to have installed two 20 amp circuits. When I built my room I included two outlets that were 20amps.
Also I got rid of my FURMAN ELITE and invested in a manual line fault protector from HOME DEPOT. I purchased more than one and they only cost me $25.00 each.
IMO line conditioners/surge protectors costing hundreds of $$ are a waste of money 💰unless of course you live in an area that is deluged with lightening storms, even then something like the FURMAN is not 100% guaranteed to protect your equipment.
Mother Nature is always in command!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #78 on: 26 Jun 2018, 03:29 pm »
The only significant limit on available current is the circuit breaker. When it trips the current is extremely limited.
In a circuit of old fashioned filament light bulbs drawing 15 Amps steady state, that circuit will supply the 150 Amp turn-on current to the bulbs.

The ratings for breakers, wires, receptacles and such, is a continuous steady state rating. Continuous is this case is 3 hours. While hi-fi amplifiers draw peak power for only very short periods of time.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #79 on: 26 Jun 2018, 05:00 pm »
Don,
What is the gauge wire that serve your outlets?
The wire is solid or stranded?