Transit time Hypex to USA; USA tariff varies; XLR vertical now

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Transit: In the past six months Hypex ship same business day or next.  Order early/id August total transit time 1.5 business days including Saturday.  Averaging about one calendar week...Siliconray likewise sometimes ships same day (at least for me).  But transit time is long.  I'm sure faster time via FX/UPS would cost more than the chassis. 

Tariff: Two identical builds within about three weeks of each other, both shipped directly from Hypex to me via UPS.  One was $60 total UPS customs tariff and broker fee, classified as "1x 4.9% microphone parts," the other about $73, amps one percentage, power supply lower percentage.  Bottom line, all over the map, but moderate variation...Strangely customs held a recent chassis for 8+ days even though no tariff due on any chassis.  Go figure. 

XLR rotation in chassis: Finally last two Siliconray chassis (stereo and mono bloc) have XLR screw holes in correct location for vertical plug with push release top dead center.     

drmike

hey jim,
I got a couple of cases from you a while back (dual  mono), they had the cocked xlr punchouts. would it be possible to get two of the newer backs? if so, how much?
thanks,
Michael stevener

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
hey jim,
I got a couple of cases from you a while back (dual  mono), they had the cocked xlr punchouts. would it be possible to get two of the newer backs? if so, how much?
thanks,
Michael stevener

Howdy Dr. Mike,
Write Jane at Siliconray and ask her for a price.  Over the past couple years I found Jane and previously Mike (still there, higher up the food chain) to be more than agreeable.  They are professional.  They are less wordy than me, but that's a plus, right? 

I'm happy to install the new panel for free.  Just give me a heads up and let me know to expect the rear panel.  I'll give you a holler when the panel arrives so you can ship your amp.  I order chassis regularly from them.  They could toss your panels in my next shipment to save shipping cost (bill you for slight upcharge if any).  Just ordered another pair of monos this week.  Looks like another stereo amp soon.   

The only soldering required is the little ring terminal earth.  All the rest unscrew or unplug.   

Cost here is only return shipping, less than $20 CONUS for mono pair.  If insurance desired add about $16.  We've had zero claims shipping our guitar/violin seasoning device (and other items) to New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, So. Africa for almost three years.  Bruce Rozenblit reported similar, never insuring his Transcendent OTL amps world wide shipping (he calls it self insuring).  It's your call on the insurance, but it would be painful if yours was the first lost or damaged.

Stereo chassis XLR appears truly vertical, see images.  When taking mono images a couple days ago (to be posted) I noticed XLR is about +2 degrees clockwise, only visible directly comparing west vertical edge of XLR vs. west chassis vertical edge (from rear).  Impossible to discern from front or in use.

The mono bloc panel XLR holes are threaded while stereo is not, requiring lock washer/nut. 

Since your build (IIRC) I now hide the AC mains in the uppermost corner, and will do this on yours if/when I swap the panel.