Comparing MiniDSP 2*8 amd NanoDigi 2*8

ttan98

Comparing MiniDSP 2*8 amd NanoDigi 2*8
« on: 15 Jun 2013, 07:29 am »
Hi,

After reading the spec sheets of these 2 items and also this forum, this is my understanding of their capabilities.

Similarities:
Both accepts SPDIF audio signals

Differences:
MiniDSP has a built-in DAC whereas Nano uses external DAC(users may already own these DAC)

If I already own my own DAC then it would a natural for me to use the Nano instead of the Mini. My queries are:

1. Will the Nano configuration superior to the built-in DAC from the MiniDSP? This assume the external DAC is superior to built-in
    DAC from the MiniDSP.
2. Using Nano I don't have to worry about the "Digital Noise?" generated at the audio output?
3. Using the Nano approach DO I need to synchronize the DACs used?

Anyone who would like to comment on my presumptions/comments please do. If there are any misunderstanding on my part please let me know.

Background Info
-----------------
I currently own the MiniDSP 2*4, it is connected to output of my DAC via the analog inputs from my DAC. This is not a good solution as I converting digital to analog via DAC and then analog to digital via the MIniDSPand then back to analog to feed into  my amplifier. Hence my preference for any of the above solutions using either Nano or MiniDSP 2*8.  As my current ssytem stands I find the sound not that bad. Would I get a better sound if I replace my Mini 2*4 with either Nano or Mini 2*8.

JohnR

Re: Comparing MiniDSP 2*8 amd NanoDigi 2*8
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2013, 01:21 pm »
I've not used the nanoDIGI but from your description it sounds like that would be the way to go. Basically you would be inserting it as a digital signal processor between your source and DAC. Since you already have a DAC, it's cheaper too...

The disadvantage is that you need a DAC for each output channel (stereo pair).

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2013, 01:32 pm »
Yeah, if you're not going to use the nanoDIGI as a crossover then you'll have three unused outputs and maybe one of the other units might make more sense.  Maybe the OpenDRC unit?  (More processing power but it is more expensive.)

Cheers,

Dave.

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2013, 12:36 am »
Hi,

Thanks John and Davey, I am not sure how to use the OpenDRC even after reading the spec sheet.

I have an open baffle speakers, my implementation is as follows:

the mid-woofer, mid-range and tweeter(upper section) are integrated via the passive components however the woofer(U-frame) and the upper section are crossed via the MiniDSP 2*4. I am trying to improve on this system configuration. BTW I have 2 DACs one for upper and one for the woofer section

Davey I remembered you use nanoDigi with some success on the L521 open baffle. Can you briefly outline what you have achieved so far? Would you repeated this process and could have done differently? Or do you still suggest using OpenDRC if so can you explain how to do it?

Thanks for your time.

Davey

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2013, 03:03 am »
Ah, in your case you do need a crossover.  Maybe the nanoDIGI would work well for you........and allow considerable upgrade possibilities in the future.

I think it's informative/handy to purchase the plug-in (only ten bucks) for a miniDSP unit even though you don't have (or may not purchase) the hardware.  This allows to virtually operate the unit and gives a much better understanding of the capabilities/routing/etc.

Regarding the LX521 DSP unit.  It works really well.  It's simply a nanoDIGI unit connected to four FiiO DAC03's.  The majority of the effort was aimed at identifying suitable DAC's, setting up identical ASP transfer functions and programming for optimum gain structure.

Cheers,

Dave.