I need some NAS, Vortexbox expert advice...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I need some NAS, Vortexbox expert advice...
« on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:29 am »
I saw this NAS server in an ad today and judging from the specs and included DVD drive with 1TB storage for $129 and the fact that its LG and can run some different OS's this might be a good way for me to start ripping and storing my music and free up space on my laptop for other things..here is what I got:
 Squeezebox DUET receiver that I control with ipeng ona ipod touch over wifi. I have a laptop that runs SB server and sends files via wired ethernet cable via a Belkin N+ router that I think is bricked. My question is based on the info listed on this webpage below do you guys think I could run Vortexbox software on this NAS server and use it to serve files to my SB Duet, taking advantage of the DVD drive to rip new CD purchases and either trnsfer my current muusic files to it or run them from a USB Hard drive I also have where I back up the music files from my laptop. There is some sort of web interface on this LG unit and a couple OS's mentioned it will run are Linux variants and Vortexbox is also Linux so maybe I can run it or use another type based on what will work with this unit...the ad mention itunes server??
 So if somebody has some time and knows this stuff check this unit out and tell me what "obstacles" I may encounter that I don't see because Network stuff make me glaze over...LOL.
LG N1T1DD1W Network Storage Server - 1 Bay, 1TB, DVDRW, White
 Here is the link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6391063&Sku=L49-9010

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: I need some NAS, Vortexbox expert advice...
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:06 am »
the LG unit runs a Marvell 88F6192 800 MHz processor, I don't think that will support Vortexbox.

Vortexbox requirements state "Any 500MHz P4 or faster i686 class processor should work well".

You need an actual PC to install VB, even an old one.

Wish I knew Ed, I installed it on an old IBM Aptiva, but gave it away in Nov.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:08 am »
It will work fine - meets all of the requirements. I looked at something similar but eventually ended up with the Green Machine as I wanted wireless capability.

You can download the latest vortexbox software (Ver. 1.7) at http://vortexbox.org/documentation/. Version 1.7 supports DVD ripping as well as audio. You'll need a monitor and keyboard for initially loading the software but after that it can sit in a closet.

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:15 am »
The list of supported operating systems refers to the client function of the NAS, meaning that any linux/windows/apple system in your home is able to recognize the NAS and transfer files to it.This list is not meant as alternative installations.
Also, you need to be aware that this product is on sale because it is discontinued. May not be a problem, but I just want to mention it. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822319015)
I suggest that you ask vortexbox tech support to be sure that you will be able to install the software.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2011, 04:58 am by wilbert-vanbakel »