Matrix Audio Mini-i 4 Music Streamer

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Matrix Audio Mini-i 4 Music Streamer
« on: 1 Feb 2024, 06:41 am »
Can anybody tell me about the Matrix Audio Mini-i 4 Music Streamer?

I never used a streamer before, but can something like this be used in conjunction with a computer with music files on it?

My plan is to use it on a "mini" network: a switch with the computer, the streamer, and no internet.

Stercom

Re: Matrix Audio Mini-i 4 Music Streamer
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2024, 09:52 am »
The short answer is yes it will work but I'd suggest you watch some YouTube videos on the basics of music servers/streamers. There are LOTS of different programs and servers you could use. For example, many people like to use Roon to organize and play their music. This Matrix Audio streamer isn't Roon certified and apparently this reviewer couldn't use Roon with it. He did find it had excellent performance though. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/matrix-audio-mini-i-4-streamer-review.49332/

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2024, 08:58 pm »
I just want to store music files on a computer (Daphile or Windows7), and use the streamer as a controller/DAC.

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2024, 05:29 pm »
It's impossible to answer with 100% certainty, because I don't own one, but I think it should work just fine. It is a USB DAC, so you can run a music player on your PC and send the signal to it via USB. And it does have a volume control, which can be defeated if you'd rather use the one in your player program.

I do own a mini-i Pro 3, which is a very nice piece of gear. Besides a great streaming DAC, it also has a very nice headphone amp. I'm listening right now.

You might want to compare the mini-i 4 to the "Pro" version, to see if the extra features are worth the added cost for you. It's my impression that the Pro versions might hold their resale value a little better.

Hope that helps.

JMW73

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2024, 11:23 am »
It's been a little bit since I shopped them, but I remember other streamers having more capabilities for less money.  The Matrix is cool looking, but not super capable.  I ended up with a Cambridge Audio CXN-V2, and they just released a new model.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2024, 06:43 pm »
I know nothing about streamers or streaming, but someone is selling one and I needed to know how it can be used as a controller to music stored on a PC.

Mike-48

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2024, 04:09 pm »
Some thoughts, as you are contemplating a type of setup that is not terribly difficult (millions have done it) but does require some knowledge.

Typically, some form of software is used to control playback between a server or share with music files (your PC) and a network-connected renderer (the Matrix). The control software is usually run on a phone or tablet, though sometimes, it can be run on a PC. Matrix provides its mConnect software, which I've not used, but you could see if a manual is downloadable.

The classic and serviceable version of this is a DLNA server running on the PC (or NAS), a control point running on a phone, and the renderer (Matrix).

One issue is that in the dedicated LAN you propose to set up -- or in any LAN -- each device must be assigned a unique IP address. Does your switch include a DHCP server to do that?

I hope that's helpful.