What is your main source of music?

SylvainQc

• Music, Tube fan, vintage gear.. living in Quebec
What is your main source of music?
« on: 16 Nov 2023, 07:42 pm »
Hi! I was wondering what is the main daily music source among us audiophiles. I imagine it is streaming? I rarely use my Meridian cd player as I mainly archive my cds on an SSD disk 2T in FLAC format, wich I read via my Bluesound Node and a Dac. I still use my Mission turtable as my #2 source.. and my Scott tuner fo Fm as third source. How about you guys? Of course, I use the Bluesound for streaming too.. wich makes this unit my main music source I guess, but I continue buying either cds or downloads from my favorite artists (that I put on my Disk drive) to encourage them and support them directly, especially local artists, as I know that streaming platforms only give them little for their hard work.

Mag

Re: What is your main source of music?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2023, 09:43 pm »
  I've been Streaming almost exclusively for the past year. I resisted Streaming for as long as I could but I got tired of hearing my favorite collection over and over. Streaming gave me access to new material at my finger tips, even though I still have tons of songs in my collection that I haven't listen too.
  Also with Streaming I can compare CD recordings I'm familiar with the Streamed version, the Streamed version plays it without the flaws, whereas the CD version has compressed certain dynamics.
  My best recording are from dvd or blu-ray which I have transferred to SSD which I listen to on the main rig. Lately because of my job I'm Streaming with wireless Ear-Buds on my Mobile app, they sound excellent.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2023, 10:00 pm »
This is one of those questions that's likely to generate strong opinions. For me it was no contest, streaming opened up the opportunity to explore more artists without getting stuck with CDs I didn't like all that much. Pretty soon I stopped buying CDs and started upgrading my streaming components - that was 8 years ago. I subscribe to Qobuz and Tidal to support the smaller high quality streaming services and so that a little bit more $ goes to artists.

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2023, 10:16 pm »
While at home, I would say FM tuner then Vinyl then cassette, while out on the move cassette via Walkman.

Bob Stark

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2023, 10:50 pm »
At home, CDs, followed by vinyl--I have to figure out the issue I have in that part that developed a loud hum.  Then CDs in the SUV, followed by cassettes.  All the CDs have been treated with Auric Illuminator II--the stuff is awesome!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2023, 11:01 pm »
Vinyl.  If I played a different lp every day, it would be about 10 years before I hit a repeat.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2023, 11:22 pm »
As this no à introduction I
will move this topic tô the Discless Circle.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2023, 11:30 pm »
Hi all.
For me it's You Tube via my laptop.
Convenient and a huge choice of music and video.

Double A

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2023, 02:52 am »
Primarily from my music library via Volumio or Strawberry music player.  From CD if I acquire something new.  Occasionally streaming from a few Internet stations.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2023, 03:08 am »
All my CDs on the HD, played on shuffle, my own commercial free radio station. Occasionally, get a slight desire to play a CD.
If I want to discover music, YouTube. For example, I never really cared too much for Gil Scott-Heron until I discovered his albums with Brian Jackson on YT. Wonderful stuff!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2023, 03:38 am »
I have several thousand SACD's ripped to a bunch of hard drives but honestly 90% of my music listening is Qobuz.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2023, 07:52 am »
Roon is the interface. It was Qobuz, but last six months its been SACD ripped to hard drive. Check in with Qobuz now and again.

dpatters

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2023, 09:47 am »
50/50 CDs and vinyl. I don’t stream at all.

Don P

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2023, 10:41 am »
Qobuz streaming through headphones is the most likely these days.  The audio room is in disarray presently or CD would likely dominate followed by LP.

psycho1122

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2023, 01:17 pm »
OPPO UDP-205 for CD's, SACD's, HDCD's, Blu-Ray Audio and DVD Audio. Astell and Kern AK Jr. for all my favorites ripped in FLAC for portable source.

jschwenker

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2023, 03:59 pm »
Musicians! Let snot forget them.  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2023, 04:41 pm »
For serious listening, use a Magnetar 800 via a GeerFab Digital Break Out Box to a coaxial input to a Devialet 1000 Pro.  Also use Foobar 2000 with music files loaded on USB sticks to the 1000 Pro via a windows 10 laptop.  Can either be streamed or via USB. 

For non serious listening, primarily use Tidal either via the optical input from the flat screen,  or via the  windows 10 laptop via USB.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2023, 05:14 pm »
   For me these days a dedicated CD transport/DAC combo. Streaming Qobuz or using server library as background music. Vinyl on hold.

charles

tomsch

« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2023, 05:18 pm »
Pretty much 100% streaming through Tidal these days. I packed up my CD player to make room for a streamer on my rack. I still have CDs that I can't find on any streaming service so I'll likely pull them back out at some point. Nice to have options.

Delta77

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2023, 06:14 pm »

For serious listening I use the InnuOS Zen to stream Tidal or Serve my CD library to the Spring3 via USB cable.
For Youtube, Pandora, and other streaming apps (Disney, Netflix, Ect.) I use an Apple TV4 with a USB to the tv monitor then an Optical cable to the DAC (Spring3).

Lately it’s been the InnuOS, about 33% of the time for music.
The Apple TV4 about 67% of the time for TV, music videos, and concerts.
About once a month I will use the turntable, mostly to keep it in good shape.

I sold my OPPO 205 because , I seldom listened to CDs, and I didn’t play movies at all. I also needed funds for a next level DAC. I was looking at Lampizator, and SW1X among others, but ended up with a Holo audio Spring3 kte with volume control.