O.B Build

Derockster

O.B Build
« on: 6 Nov 2016, 08:32 pm »
Hi,

I am about to build a pair of OB speakers and was wondering what size baffle would be recommended if i use a Tang Band 5 inch driver?

Tang Band W5-2143 5" Paper Cone Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter5"Power Handling (RMS)30 Watts
Power Handling (max)60 WattsImpedance8 ohms
Frequency Response55 to 20,000 HzSensitivity90 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter1"

Regards

Cleaton

gils

Re: O.B Build
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2016, 11:20 pm »

hello,

the speakers is bad for OB, QTS= 0,38, you will not have low frequency, usable medium.

cdt.gils

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2016, 12:37 am »
It would be asking a lot for a 5 inch driver to deliver bass on OB.

As suggested, that driver could make a good mid/high driver but will need the support of a helper woofer to deliver a full range experience.

Lots of folks like the Eminence Alpha 15 as a sample helper woofer.

JohnH12

• John H
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2016, 12:55 am »
Without DSP the unequalized response has an F3 of 300 hz.  Max SPL with a 100 hz high pass is only 90 dB. 

This driver is really a mid range that would mate up well to a larger 15, or a hybrid woofer box crossed in the 400 hz range.

Derockster

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2016, 02:43 am »
All,

Thank you for your response to my query. My initial thought about using this driver was as a mid/high driver and use a pair of 8 inch passive subs with outboard electronic crossover and bass amp which I already have.

Any thoughts on baffle sizes?

Derockster

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2016, 06:04 am »
All,

Thank you for your response to my query. My initial thought about using this driver was as a mid/high driver and use a pair of 8 inch passive subs with outboard electronic crossover and bass amp which I already have.

Any thoughts on baffle sizes?

Derockster

mid/high no problem,the 8 " drivers are for bass,it goes like this, ported box more bass ,sealed box (still good bass), ob make the baffle as big as acceptable ,good luck...MHO :thumb: