custom rack!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
custom rack!
« on: 29 Nov 2014, 06:56 am »
One of a set of custom racks we just finished. this is the one we saved for the shop, a bit of a Steam Punk Mission style, very solid and sweet looking. Not sure if we would do these again but if so they would be in the $5k range.

vinyl_lady

Re: custom rack!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2015, 06:44 am »
I am one of the lucky ones who is the proud owner of new Daedalus custom audio racks. I started talking to Lou about finding some really high quality wood racks to replace my SolidSteel racks. The SolidSteel are good racks, but I wanted natural wood that would be more in tune with my Daedalus speakers and BOWs. As I was looking at different options including Kanso, Lou offered to make a couple of racks for me and I said go for it. I finally blocked out the time to assemble the racks, tear down the equipment and put it all back together on the new racks. Here are some pics.

This photo shows the sides and top & bottom shelves before assembly

Assembled rack without and with shelves

Before:

After:

Obviously, the most time consuming part was disconnecting and reconnecting all the equipment. It was an all day job. The racks are incredibly solid, stable and very heavy since they are all maple and walnut. Did I say they are absolutely gorgeous?

Thanks Lou!

Laura

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 09:55 pm by vinyl_lady »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2015, 10:39 am »
Congrulations Laura on your new audio racks

Absolutely beautiful

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2015, 11:13 am »
Congratulation vinyl_lady.
Sure look sturdy and with all the heavy weight equipment,
it sure won't be taken away by a tornado or a thief,
which ever comes first. :lol:
...and nice looking too.

Guy 13

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2015, 02:24 pm »
Look sweet!  Does the wood change the tone of the music at all compared to steel?

Is that a P5 in the rack?  How's it work for you?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2015, 02:29 pm »
Real wood= real tone. :thumb: :thumb:
Other option are wood table for those that own few equips.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2015, 02:38 pm »
Beautiful Racks!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2015, 02:47 pm »
Looks great!

The before and after pic really shows why you put the effort into doing this, what an improvement .
Just curious what the big maple block shown in the before pic is now supporting or being used for?

maxboy00

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:07 pm »
If I may ask, what model speaker you have to go along with that great gear you have? The rack is also nice looking and top notch of course. . . Congrats!

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:09 pm »
If I may ask, what model speaker you have to go along with that great gear you have? The rack is also nice looking and top notch of course. . . Congrats!

If the system profile is up to date it says "Daedalus DA-1.1 version 2 with AP crossovers on maple/walnut/maple bases with spikes on Herbie's decoupling gliders"

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:39 pm »
Very nice alteration/addition to your system Laura. Congratulations, will look forward to seeing it at some point in '15 if I'm lucky.  :thumb: Looks like you've rotated in some new gear as well. As would be expected, nice work Lou.  8)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:49 pm »
Very nice.

What's the red circled item? 

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:09 pm »
Looks like a PS Audio Noise Harvester

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:10 pm »
Looks like a PS Audio Noise Harvester
Ah, would've thought it would be best to plug that into the wall outlet where the power strip is plugged in. 

Phil A

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm »
Ah, would've thought it would be best to plug that into the wall outlet where the power strip is plugged in.

From memory I believe they also recommend it plugged into a power strip.  I have a bunch of them.

Wig

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:16 pm »
Audioprism quiet line filters are quite effective as well.

Wig :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:19 pm »
From memory I believe they also recommend it plugged into a power strip.  I have a bunch of them.
Oh OK. 

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:20 pm »
Audioprism quiet line filters are quite effective as well.

Wig :D

I have them as well.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:58 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. I will try to answer some of the questions. Phil A has done a great job in my absence this morning (we have the day off and I slept in).

Pete, the SolidSteel racks have MDF shelves floating on aluminum cones. Since I spent Dec. 31 putting the racks together and unhooking and rehooking the equipment, and yesterday was the greatest college football day since the BCS took away the traditional New Year's Day bowls, I haven't had a chance to listen much, but will this weekend and will let you know what I hear. The Daedalus racks are all maple/walnut sandwiches so I expect them to be good sinks for any vibration, etc.

The P-5 seems to work well for me. I live in an older neighborhood (homes built between 1900 and 1925 and most have knob & tube wiring unless rewired) and the overhead power lines have been in place for a long time. I have incoming power that fluctuates from 116 to 121 volts and averages 3.4% to 5.1% TDH. I use the Multiwave setting and the power out is a perfect sine wave 120V with a TDH of 0.1%. When I listen late at night after my neighbors have gone to bed, the incoming power seems more stable and the TDH is on the lower end of the range; plus the Noise Harvesters barely flash, if at all.

Jason, Phil is right. Those are PS Audio Noise Harvesters. I have a lot of them in all of the unused outlets in the music room plus a few spread throughout the house as well as the two in the Power Broker. The Power Broker is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit along with the P-5. The two amps and pre amp are plugged into the Power Broker and everything else is plugged into the P-5.

Tommy,

the 4" maple block (from Mapleshade) is sitting in my basement right now. It really made a difference when the TT was sitting on the top MDF shelf of the SolidSteel 6.4 rack. The top shelf of the Daedalus rack is a 2.5" maple/walnut sandwich and for now I am assuming I won't need the maple block.

Phil is correct about my speakers. They are Daedalus DA-1.1 version2 with AP crossovers. The wood is cherry. I also have two Daedalus BOWs in cherry. Here's a pic.

Phil, thanks for helping me out by answering some of the questions. Let me know if you have other questions. Appreciate the nice comments. Lou really did a terrific job with these racks.