Nuprime Dac10h + ST10 or 2 x STA-9

Starboard

Nuprime Dac10h + ST10 or 2 x STA-9
« on: 1 Dec 2016, 12:50 pm »
Hi!

Well, I am like many in big doubt which power amp to choose between ST10 and STA9 in mono conf.? I have oportunity to listen both setups with my Dac10h but not in A-B test. I also noticed that STA9 in mono change the sound signature when selecting between high and low gain on DAC10h and because of that when on HG I found lots of similarities with ST10 sound feed by the same Dac10. Now I am completly confused which way to go, 2xsta9 or st10 as natural partner to Dac10. Any comment will be helpful...!?!  :?

Tnx

triumph

Re: Nuprime Dac10h + ST10 or 2 x STA-9
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2016, 01:22 pm »
I, for one, am a big fan of bi-amping, so I like the idea of having 2 amps.  Plus, it gives you the opportunity to go with active filters / DSP for a pair of 2-way speakers.

But, there's also individual taste, or simplicity, so it's really up to you.

There's also the amp comparison post if that helps.
Here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138606.0

zwizardofoz

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2016, 01:44 pm »
If you intend to do bi-amping with dsp filters you need to rethink getting rid of the crossover in the speaker too

www.linkwitzlab.com is where you can find out about all that.

I have a friend who is about to finish his LXmini's and is pairing the MiniDSP to dual STA-9's (one for each LXmini side) and using an Oppo HA-1 as the preamp/DAC
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2016, 06:17 pm by zwizardofoz »

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2016, 05:20 pm »
Assuming that you are not trying to bi-amp or other setup that must have two STA-9, I think the deciding factor is your music preferences. If you  listen to mostly classical and jazz, then go with ST-10. Otherwise, hard to go wrong with DAC-10 and STA-9 combination.

zwizardofoz

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2016, 06:19 pm »
Or run the 2 STA-9's in bridge mode optionally or bi-amp without DSP using splitter cables...remember to remove the speaker binding post jumpers :P

resovia

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2016, 03:18 am »
Starboard,
If this helps.

I had both at home STA 9 and ST10 at the same time. I kept ST 10, it gives more holographic image which was better for my living room system, but STA 9 is amazing value and performer especially considering the cost. When I turned it on for the first time my impression was "what... this thing can do that?!!". If nuPrime didn't have ST 10 I would be happy with 9.

echim

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2016, 11:11 am »
Greetings!

I am also interested in this dilemma.

I just don't understand why is ST-10 better for classical and jazz.

One more question. Isn't it the best way to connect DAC-10h with left channel XLR on one STA-9 (in mono mode) and right channel XLR on other STA-9 (also in mono mode)? That way it should be balanced?
Because I found out that if STA-9 is connected in stereo mode, it's not balanced.

Thanks

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:09 pm »
In "most" systems, I tend to think the ST-10 would be the preferred amp for accuracy, imaging, soundstaging, and detail.

A "pair" of STA-9s have the advantages of more power, and a "slightly" more relaxed sound (often said to be more tube-like)