Who still listens to their CD-1?

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Who still listens to their CD-1?
« on: 11 Oct 2006, 12:45 am »
I have been reading a couple of topics on CED players - best for the money and best sxounding, etc.

I still listen to my CD-1 exclusively, even though I have to manually load each CD, and keep from smudging them when possible.

This is a high quality player with tube output, and for the money 500-650, can't remember, it is a great value.

# 24 Bit/96 KHz Burr Brown PCM 1728 24-bit D/A processor
# Highest quality Matsushita transport with anti jitter circuit
# Two transformers--one for analog and one for audio
# 7 power supplies
# Dual 12AX7 tube analog output.
# 105 dB Signal-to-Noise (A-weighed)
# Includes remote control
# Dimensions: 19 inches wide, 4 inches tall and 12 inches long

Here is info on it  http://www.norh.com/products/cd1/index.html Alas, it is discontinued   :cry:

JackD

Re: Who still listens to their CD-1?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2006, 04:21 pm »
Still using mine in the main system, though admit I have been tempted to try one of the newer tubed units or the Rega Apollo

Jack

markC

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2006, 06:38 pm »
I'd still be using mine if it didn't die on me last March. It won't respond to commands from the front panel or the remote. Figure its got to be one of the control chips, but ones been on back order ever since the machine went down and the other, though available, is around $60. Without being able to get a schematic, I won't gamble on over $100 worth of chips without being quite certain that they are the problem. Too bad, I really liked the player.

stellavox

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2006, 11:26 am »
ALSO still listening to mine but have had to fix it a few times INCLUDING last night.  If you do ANY repairs to the power supply section you open up the possibility of intermittant ground or ground loops because of bad quality plated-through holes on the PC board.

Most recent problem was an increasing hum in both channels which turned out to be caused by a "high resistance" ground path from the CT of the audio power transformer winding.  A firm "wired ground" fixed it.

Charles 

stellavox

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2006, 11:17 am »
I'll buy anyone's unit   - working or not

stellavox@excite.com