Anyone see Barbie and too embarrassed to post?

Randy

Re: Anyone see Barbie and too embarrassed to post?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2023, 11:13 pm »
Audiophiles (mostly, but not exclusively, old  guys) isn't exactly the target market for Barbie.

Yes, it's targeted at the brain dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7aJtGphVs&t=32s

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jul 2023, 11:09 pm »
My wife has expressed an interest in <our> seeing the movie, so I may be the first one to watch it in the next day or two.
Looks like you will have to face this serious assignment.
Went to the grocery yesterday Friday and several cash girls on the coffee break were excited talking about this movie, from what I hear they were planning go together using Barbie clothes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfsibwR5x4

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2023, 12:03 am »
Fuhgeddaboutit

CurtisIIX

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jul 2023, 02:14 am »
Yes, it's targeted at the brain dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7aJtGphVs&t=32s

Who's the brain dead?

Barbie viewer: I'm spending $12 to watch a silly movie with my friends.
Audiophile: I'm spending $400 on this power cord so the music electrons can move better.

I think that we would all be better off if we didn't take the things we like [or other people like] too seriously.

I'll probably rent/stream this movie out well after its pop culture influence has expired - but that is consistent with my movie viewing habits.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2023, 03:28 am »
Its interesting how things that women like is often denigrated by men.  Especially if it's 'too girly' like in this thread. 

LarryD56

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2023, 04:07 am »
It's often too predictable that if men are attacked and portrayed as being weak, immoral, and spineless that that is okay and acceptable. Well I am not weak, immoral, and spineless and this movie is just another attack on good men. There are a few of us who refuse to allow this BS to degrade us. Go to hell Barbie!

Yours truly,       L.D.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2023, 05:19 am »
Barbie viewer: I'm spending $12 to watch a silly movie with my friends.
Audiophile: I'm spending $400 on this power cord so the music electrons can move better.

Spending money on the cord actual is a better use of money. At least you have something.

Nowadays, they push movies so fast that it will be streaming in record time. Watch it at home without having to pay for anything (parking, tickets, overpriced soda and popcorn, etc.).

$12?

I just looked it up an they were $16.

zoom25

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:15 am »
Yup. Saw it today and wore pink too. Good times. :popcorn:

Oppenheimer tomorrow!

Enjoy :)

Zuman

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2023, 04:14 pm »
Not gonna go, but my two adult daughters and my niece are going today. I'm certainly not going to denigrate those who go to see it (my daughters are smart, fun, well-balanced professionals with advanced college degrees and I respect them because of their values and accomplishments, not just because they're my daughters).
This is one of the completely immersive "Barbie Worlds" my daughters constantly created on our upstairs landing more than 25 years ago when they were in kindergarten...

RandyH

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2023, 04:20 pm »
I wasn't too keen to see it until I found out Ted Cruz launched into a crazy tirade against it. 

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jul 2023, 05:04 pm »
$12?

I just looked it up an they were $16.

Just checked our local Cinemark multiplex. Barbie tickets are $8.25 with free parking.

The immersive "Barbie Worlds" looks amazing, thanks for sharing.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2023, 05:30 pm »
Zuman,
Looks like Barbie had one too many martinis with Ken.

As for the movie, not my thing but it probably has some laughs in it.

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2023, 05:44 pm »
It's got a good Rotten Tomatoes score. 

I'd go see it, especially over Oppenheimer.  The latter seems a bit too intense for me.

ctviggen

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2023, 05:47 pm »
I wasn't too keen to see it until I found out Ted Cruz launched into a crazy tirade against it.

Is this similar to Ted Cruz's tirade about the Dr. Seuss foundation's stopping production of six books? 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ted-cruz-dr-seuss-joe-biden-backlash_n_6040949fc5b6829715055156

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:15 pm »
Just checked our local Cinemark multiplex. Barbie tickets are $8.25 with free parking.

Some people have to pay to park. But, I randomly looked up tickets locally and they were $15.99. I'm sure there are ways to get discounts, including waiting for whatever it is to go to the budget theater so you can watch it before it get's phased out.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:17 pm »

Is this similar to Ted Cruz's tirade about the Dr. Seuss foundation's stopping production of six books? 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ted-cruz-dr-seuss-joe-biden-backlash_n_6040949fc5b6829715055156

No politics!

GeorgeAb

« Reply #36 on: 2 Aug 2023, 05:08 am »
I would like to see it, look great. Likely will see Oppenheimer first. I need to jump on Oppenheimer before it leaves theaters, likely this upcoming weekend. 

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: 2 Aug 2023, 11:56 am »
I saw it last night and hadn't read any reviews. A simply delightful movie, don't know what the fuss is about. It's for adults, not young children.

artur9

« Reply #38 on: 3 Aug 2023, 01:11 am »
I would like to see it, look great. Likely will see Oppenheimer first. I need to jump on Oppenheimer before it leaves theaters, likely this upcoming weekend.

My brain got whiplash going from Barbie (huge Margot Robbie fan) to Oppenheimer (quite the cast there)!

dB Cooper

« Reply #39 on: 3 Aug 2023, 02:11 am »
I saw it last night and hadn't read any reviews. A simply delightful movie, don't know what the fuss is about. It's for adults, not young children.
So was Bild Lilli, the German doll Barbie was directly patterned on. Only thing is, Lilli was based on a comic art character that was kind of a tramp. The dolls were marketed to adult males, often as gag gifts. The story is told well on Wikipedia so I won't repeat much of it here. But the short version: Mattel's Ruth Handler saw one on a trip to Europe, bought it for her daughter (perhaps unaware of its history?) and decided it fit the concept of an adult-body doll she had in mind (and had to fight for). Several years later, Barbie was launched. A couple more years Mattel bought all rights to the German doll and shut down production, completing Lascivious Lilli's transformation into squeaky-clean Barbie. Here they are side by side in case anybody thinks Barbie wasn't strongly influenced by Lilli right down to the subtle side-eye:

« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2023, 04:06 am by dB Cooper »