Spoke with Curt Wishman

RobJ

Spoke with Curt Wishman
« on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:41 am »
After reading cannonball's thread "MB-100 Monoblocks (aka Le Amp) are available", I contacted Curt Wishman and inquired about the availability of the a pair of MB-100's and a Purist (owned these many years ago).  Curt responded and stated that he was looking into the lead time to build twenty-five (25) Purists.  Components would need to be purchased, and he was curious about audiophile interest as he has some reservations about making the investment.

Since there was recent chatter within the "Norh" circle about IRD, I thought that this would be the ideal place to inquire.  If he does build the purist, I intend to purchase one along with MB-100's  Would anyone else be interested in a Purist from IRD?  I will send the link to this thread in my e-mail to Curt and maybe he will pop in here at the circle. 

I don't work for Curt or IRD, I just would like to acquire a Purist (hard to find used).

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Spoke with Curt Wishman
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:13 pm »
I am definitely interested in a Purist - I was talking with tkp a couple of weeks ago about it

fredgarvin

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 08:01 pm »
I have one, I would recommend a Purist very highly. It's been my favorite so far.

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2012, 08:13 pm »
I have a Purist as well. It took 3+ years, and an AVA Ultra pre to get it out of the system. I will pass it along to the girl, she's the oldest and  shown more then just a passing interest in this hobby. I hope she does the same. Best value to date for the all the gear I have run through here. I certainly hope Curt drops by and says hi. Great product, and it would be great if he got orders for the 25 he wants to build.

JCarney

tkp

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:19 pm »
Since I already have the Purist, I would love to see Curt coming out with the Audiophile which bascially the Purist plus built in active crossover and HT bypass. 

IMHO, it is very hard to beat the Purist in term of accuracy and neutral sounding not to mention low level of noise floor.  Other preamp. might sound more musical and might even coming accross as more detail but most likely not more more accurate due to the use of mid price volume pot such as the Alp Blue Velvet potentiometer.  The Purist has a dual laddered stepped attennuator which cost roughly $ 300 - $ 400 a set when GoldPoint use to sell them.  At the retail price of $ 665.00, the Purist is a major bargain in my book.

If you want to know the cost of put in a pair of stepped attennuator in a preamp, just ask any audio manufacturer or modder about putting one in your preamp.  You probably will get sticker shock.

My number one rule when it comes to preamp is that if it does not have a stepped volume control (via mechanical switch or high quality electronic relay), it is not on my list no matter how much any one rave about it.

RobJ

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm »
TKP,

Received your PM but could not respond as I do not have enough posts here at Audiocircle.  Your questions pertaining to IRD products were forwarded to Curt for his awareness.  I also suggested he pop in here if he had the time even if it was just to say "hello".

JCarney and Fred, I have also had both the Purist and MB-100's but sold them approximately five years ago when I put the hobby on hold.  Regret the sale of both. 

JQP, glad to hear that you would be interested as well.  Now, just twenty-three more customers....

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2012, 04:15 am »
I would love it if the project were upgraded to an Audiophile also - and let's throw in a remote!

jqp

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2012, 04:18 am »
TKP,

Received your PM but could not respond as I do not have enough posts here at Audiocircle.  Your questions pertaining to IRD products were forwarded to Curt for his awareness.  I also suggested he pop in here if he had the time even if it was just to say "hello".

JCarney and Fred, I have also had both the Purist and MB-100's but sold them approximately five years ago when I put the hobby on hold.  Regret the sale of both. 

JQP, glad to hear that you would be interested as well.  Now, just twenty-three more customers....

RobJ

I approved your post - welcome to Audio Circle and the nOrh Owner's circle!

Just a few more posts and you should have a significant increase in privileges .

tkp

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2012, 03:24 pm »
I would love it if the project were upgraded to an Audiophile also - and let's throw in a remote!

Knowing how tedious and probably expensive it would be to implement remote function with the stepped attennuator, I would be happy with the Audiophile as Curt define it. 

Speaking of remote control with stepped attennuator, John Chapman of Bent audio successfully implemented one on the TVC many years ago which I did not put on my Bent TVC unit due to cost of new chassis and circuitry.  I did built one with remote control for a friend of mine and must say it was/is pretty slick.