My first XLS Build Complete

Pedro Gz

My first XLS Build Complete
« on: 12 Oct 2020, 06:56 pm »
I just finished my XLS Encores!  Hooked them up and they sound great!  This was my first DIY audio project and it could have been daunting, but with the videos from Danny and Peter, as well as all the build threads on this forum it was fun.  I chose a grey with semi-gloss clear to color match to some existing cabinets. My next project I'll try veneer.

One thing I did struggle with was figuring out how to cut up/install the No Res.  I only ordered one sheet, and when it arrived it was cut down to four 12 x 13.5 sheets for shipping.  I found plans on the forum for cutting 24"x27" sheets using a second sheet for No Res under the crossovers.  I wanted to get the most out of every piece so I put together a cut plan which I've linked to below if anyone else needs it. 

A full quality pdf can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1YjQcGjECS4cjwRCNm6_GJTisR3OWmm/view?usp=sharing

The plan is for one 12" x 13.5" sheet, and will fill one half of an XLS Encore.  It's labeled for a right side of the speaker assuming that you transfer the plan to the paper-side of the No Res, but the left side is the exact same cuts with the exceptions of the 2 cut outs (marked).   My advice is to mark out the cuts, do all the straight cuts, then put peices 3 and 5 aside and mark up the cut outs to make sure you have two of each orientation.   Here's photos (note my first sheet was my test sheet so it's already installed, so these are the three remaining sheets).

I numbered each piece in the order that I installed them.  The two cutouts that remain can be put together and installed as a square under piece 6. Here's a basic layout for the right:

and some photos:

I hope this is helpful to anyone starting this project.  Always do measure and test first (cut a paper version) to make sure it will work with your box before you start cutting.

If this topic has already been done in the forum my apologies - I haven't posted enough to allow searches so I didn't find one.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: My first XLS Build Complete
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:10 pm »
Those look great!  :thumb:

No Rez doesn’t need a whole lot of precision fitting to do it’s job.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:18 pm »
Man you were like a surgeon compared to me on that no-rez, it looks great. Nice job and thanks for sharing your plans.

How do they sound?

AlexH

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:34 pm »
I like the gray. Well done. Now sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2020, 01:07 am »
Well....cool!

Far better looking than my first. A few decades gone by and I may have improved my game some, so there's that.

Gray looks good with drivers, and I'm usually not a gray fan.

Thanks for posting.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2020, 01:35 pm »
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2020, 03:15 pm »
Nice work Pedro. That's an A for a first build.

Gray looks good with drivers, and I'm usually not a gray fan.

Gray is the new black. It does look good on Gz's build.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2020, 06:53 pm »
One thing I did struggle with was figuring out how to cut up/install the No Res.  I
I numbered each piece in the order that I installed them.  The two cutouts that remain can be put together and installed as a square under piece 6.

Good on ya for drawing up a template for cutting up and installing the NoRes.

Whle my sheet arrived in one 24 X 27" piece, I also found it challenging to determine how to cut up the No-Res so that I had properly-sized pieces for each cabinet. PeterJ's templates were helpful, but as my cabinets were made by Killian rather than Peter, Peter's templates did not line up exaclty, so I spent several hours making up paper templates based on Peter's dimenions, and then having to modify them to fit properly. I was finally able to determine and cut the pieces sized appropriately but it was a lot of work and effort.

My installation of No-Res in my cabinets looks very similar to yours.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:33 am »
Nice build.