Do I need attenuators??????

rydenfan

Do I need attenuators??????
« on: 20 Feb 2008, 03:39 pm »
My Transporter from Dan is due to arrive tomorrow and somebody just informed me I will not be able to run my Transporter directly to my Amp without an attenuator? Have you found this to be true? If so do you have any idea where I might be able to get a good balanced pair right away? Thanks for the help.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Do I need attenuators??????
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008, 03:44 pm »
What is the gain on your amp?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 03:54 pm »
Parts express sells them. They come in different values of attenuation. 3-6 and 12. Sold in pairs. $25.90 a pair #266-240. #266-242. #266-244. They are usually used when going from pro sound to consumer audio. Pro sound is much louder.

Cheers
                                   Charlie

rydenfan

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2008, 04:03 pm »
Parts express sells them. They come in different values of attenuation. 3-6 and 12. Sold in pairs. $25.90 a pair #266-240. #266-242. #266-244. They are usually used when going from pro sound to consumer audio. Pro sound is much louder.

Cheers
                                   Charlie

Thanks. Unfortunately those are all RCA and I will be running my TP via XLR.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2008, 05:35 pm »
Doesn't the digital volume control of the TP still work with the MW output stage? 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2008, 05:56 pm »
I believe every feature is retained.

These guys talk a good game.  I don't know if price is good or not.
http://www.tweakaudio.com/Ultimate%20Attenuators.html

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2008, 06:56 pm »
Looks like a good product.  I just didn't see why you'd even need them at all unless you were worried about loss of resolution with the digital domain volume control in the TP.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:03 pm »
His speakers must really be sensitive?  27 db gain on the amp at input 1.4v.  Max out from Dan's transporter is 2.5v. 

rydenfan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:05 pm »
I do not wish to spend that kind of money on a temporary product. The reason I am thinking I need them is that if you read this thread you will see that when the TP is run directly to the amp it is too loud even at low volumes. The OP of the thread has a Transporter from Dan and he finds it too loud as well.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42698

These would be perfect except he seems to be so busy building attenuators that he is not even accepting orders right now.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/id2.html

I guess I will just try it out tomorrow night and see how I feel...

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:07 pm »
His speakers must really be sensitive?  27 db gain on the amp at input 1.4v.  Max out from Dan's transporter is 2.5v. 

I certainly might be worried for nothing, I am just not sure. FWIW, these are my speakers...

http://www.dali.dk/us/page245.aspx?sub=266&prod=248

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:29 pm »
If you find it too loud, couldn't you send it back to Dan to have the output attenuated from the factory?  I don't think you need a lot of different settings.  Since you should be able to use the digital volume control in the upper ~25% range without loss in quality, I would think you can just get the output adjusted at the factory.  What do you think?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:31 pm »
You could get XLR to RCA adapters from Parts Express and the attenuaters. Should work fine.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

Gaara

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:39 pm »
I have had good luck with Endler and Rothwell Attenuators.  Rothwell are fixed and Endler are adjustable like the EVS models linked above.  I used both these between my SWL 9.0SE and Jolida CDP, as well as the P.E. attenuators.  PE did not sound good, Rothwells there was a very slight difference in sound, and Endlers I didn't notice any change in sound quality.

rydenfan

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:43 pm »
If you find it too loud, couldn't you send it back to Dan to have the output attenuated from the factory?  I don't think you need a lot of different settings.  Since you should be able to use the digital volume control in the upper ~25% range without loss in quality, I would think you can just get the output adjusted at the factory.  What do you think?

I am going to initially try it and see what I think. I will only have it run directly to my amp for around a month or so until the Cary Cinema 11a is released. Maybe sooner if Dan keeps talking me into a 36.5  :drool:

rydenfan

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:44 pm »
I have had good luck with Endler and Rothwell Attenuators.  Rothwell are fixed and Endler are adjustable like the EVS models linked above.  I used both these between my SWL 9.0SE and Jolida CDP, as well as the P.E. attenuators.  PE did not sound good, Rothwells there was a very slight difference in sound, and Endlers I didn't notice any change in sound quality.

Thanks! Endler is what I want; unfortunately he seems to be so back-logged with orders that he is not even accpeting new orders rights now.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:46 pm »
Don't you have a preamp you could use?

Cheers
                              Charlie

Frank S.

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2008, 08:28 pm »
I just sold my preamp and I'm waiting for my new preamp to arrive. In the interim, I'm running the MWTP directly into my BAT VK600SE power amplifier via the XLR outputs on the MWTP.  I'm using the volume control on the MWTP and everything is working fine. I'm only about halfway up on the volume control (-23db), same as when I was running my BAT VK52SE.  At the low end of the volume control the sound level is very low form the speakers. Going direct is certainly working fine and the sound quality is decent. My speakers are SP Technology Continuum MKIII.

Gaara

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2008, 08:37 pm »
I tried a modded SB3 to my amp and liked it, but always feared that something would happen.  Maybe a little pop or something that normally isn't a big deal when you have a pre in between, but when it is direct to your amps there is nothing to stop it from damaging your speakers.  I also didn't like the amount of noise when the volume was really low, not sure if it is the same with the mwtp but with my SB3 direct to amp I could hear noise below around 50 or so on the volume.

rydenfan

« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2008, 08:47 pm »
I believe you are supposed to run the Transporter above like 85% volume in order to ensure that there is no data distortion, but I am not positive. I do know that Dan tells me to turn the volume up to 100% when a pre is involved, so that would lead me to the same conclusion.