Running in new modules.

Rhythm Willie

Running in new modules.
« on: 12 Mar 2010, 10:19 pm »
I purchased new power supplies and modules off Hugh late last year to replace my 100N+ monos which I put together in 2003.

I am a fairly sceptical person when it comes to a number of myths in hifi having wasted a lot of $ in my younger days and learnt my lesson about paying a fortune for exotic gear, cables etc,  with performance underwhelming and finding cheap total parts lists inside. "Running in" was one area that I had reserved my opinion on.

AKSA and Hugh are right up there with my best purchase decisions in 35 years of enjoying my hobby.

I was a bit disappointed initially with the bass performance of the new set up compared to the 100N+'s, even adding some other amps and biamping them to the bass speakers(massively powerful/high capacitance monoblocks).

After about 2 months of running them in this configuration I decided to disconnect the bass amps and try the new AKSA's full range - what a change, they now have a great grip and control on the bass speakers and notes are clearer in the mix. Looks like it was worth the wait, the other amps are going into the HT setup.

So having the other amps to compare as a "reference" has convinced me quite clearly that my mind was'nt just "getting used" to the sound and I am converted to the idea that some components do need running in.

AKSA

Re: Running in new modules.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:21 am »
Hi Dennis,

Many thanks for your post, very interesting indeed.

Some years ago in Melbourne, a customer, now using LF100s, had a very large pair of 600 watt monoblocks.  These had long warranty, beautifully made, very heavy, and incredibly expensive.

We played a few CDs from his very nice CD player and huge, four way Jamo speakers.

Nice sound, but a bit diffuse in the bass, no real sound field to speak off, a bit raggedy at the top end.

Then we put in the LF100 to test them out.

Bass was far stronger, tighter, and articulate.  Sound field was defined, broad, deep, and even tall.  Top end was crystal clear.  It was a surprise just how good it all was.  I was as happy as my host;  it came as a revelation to me as I have never had the resources to test my products against the best in the market.

Theo sold his large, expensive monos, bought the LF100s, and God is in his heaven.  It seems you have come to the same point, and I thank you for taking the time to tell the forum!

Nice autumn weather in Melbourne, soon the cool season will be arriving.  Trust you and the family are well, thanks again for the post,

Cheers,

Hugh

Rhythm Willie

Re: Running in new modules.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2010, 12:36 am »
Thanks Hugh, I am just about to leave for Adelaide to shoot at Adelaide Archery Club(one of my other hobbies) in the Parklands around Adelaide.

It's been pretty hectic in Adelaide recently, what with the Adelaide Festival of Arts, the Fringe Festival, Womad Festival and now the Clipsal V8's car race which draws a crowd of over 100,000 people a day and the temporary track which incorporates parklands not far from the Archery Club and city streets.

Should be interesting shooting today, firstly to find a park near the club and secondly coping with both the noise of racing cars and those F18 Hornets that suddenly appear not far above you. The Archery Club certainly has a beautiful setting however. Both music and sport get your mind off the "pressures of life".