Upgrading Aksa 100+N

LM

• Lyn
Re: Upgrading Aksa 100+N
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2009, 12:28 am »
Ht Dennis,

I could only agree wholeheartedly with your findings.  I gave up my stereo system of the moment and went to the surround darkside some 7 or 8 years ago as the new ?bees knees? now and tried Marantz and then Arcam equipment in an effort to improve the 2 channel to listenable.  But it was Hugh, the cad, that kept demoing his latest that convinced me I couldn?t live without quality stereo and the surround system IMO couldn?t do both well without compromise.

I kept the HT system for movies and music DVDs and it remains really great for that.  But then I added a separate stereo system based on an Aspen amp and pre and have never looked back.  There is something about a realistic 3D sound stage stretching away in front of you that no amount of surround submersion can replace, particularly with intimate music.

Incidentally, I have always been particularly impressed by the Lifeforce/Soraya heat dissipation.  Compared to my HT receivers, it has never run hot and remains no more than warm to the touch regardless of the temp of the day or how hard I?m driving it.

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2009, 02:15 am »
Lyn,

Yes this was quite an eye opener for me, I was anticipating much greater quality as the Arcams are reviewed as being one of the best surround systems out there. As CEO Phillip was present I think he too anticipated a different result. The depth, sound stage, imaging etc were no match for the Aksa combo, let alone the actual bass through to treble/harmonics sound quality. I suspect the source used could have had a fair impact too.

I just wonder some times after getting over the initial bells and whistles of an (unnatural?) surround system, whether listening to movies again through a great 2 channel system might well be much preferred in the long run.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2009, 03:21 am »
I just wonder some times after getting over the initial bells and whistles of an (unnatural?) surround system, whether listening to movies again through a great 2 channel system might well be much preferred in the long run.

You are right.  Multichannel can be very unnatural.  Something surely is wrong when the engineer has the cymbals coming from the rear speakers and the rest of the drum kit and singer somewhere up front.  Not quite what one hears at a live concert in my experience. :scratch:  In such cases, it's the mix and perhaps the format at fault, not Arcam - I personally rate their surround gear as tops.  Nevertheless, however well they do stereo compared with other surround system brands, IMO dedicated 2 channel will always sound best for most music though I accept that some people may disagree.

Two channel movies with a phantom centre can be excellent though unless it's 2.1, you do lose out on the LFE effects.  So I have the 2 separate systems, horses for courses and very happy with both (ecstatic with my Soraya).  But if it was a matter of having just one system where music is critical (as with me), I think a quality stereo that can also do movies would give a better compromise than a surround system that does movies well but gives average stereo.  My HT kit is only a fraction the price of the top 777 and 888 kit you quoted - I got astonishingly better value for money by getting the Soraya and GK1 for their top class performance in my stereo system rather than putting money towards any such HT upgrade. :duh:

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:07 am »
I have just finished the last experiments/fiddling before 16 screws will put the lids of the amps on permanently and so from now on I can just sit back and enjoy the music.

I have spent a few days changing bias from 60mv to around 80mv.

Whilst high bias seems to give a bit more bass impact, I feel that something else also happens at the top end. It seems to get a little bit harsher up high and some air around instruments is lost.

Anyway after around a week of experiments I have settled on 65mv as being my best compromise. I think the amps have also continued to "run in" as when I sat down today to listen to my familiar Alison Krauss "A Hundred Miles or More" CD, it is sounding the best I have ever heard on any system, you get totally engrossed in each song even though I've heard it many times before. Her voice, the reverberance of the room, the harmonics of the recording  and surprisingly even some unintentioned background noises I have'nt previously noted are palpable (good word borrowed from Hugh).

AKSA

« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2009, 11:29 pm »
Dennis,

Thoughtful, interesting comments about bias.  I too have settled on 65mV, just a tad over 68mA.  It does seem to enhance bass, but at the expense of smoothness in the top end.

I'm pleased that Phillip likes the new amps, he did hear your LFII, the early Soraya, I take it?

I'm now into a completely different design, simpler in some ways actually, but it always takes a long time to get the compensation exactly and precisely figured out.  I'm nearly there for my new 150W amp.

I hope to see you some time soon in Melbourne, Dennis!

Cheers,

Hugh

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #25 on: 27 Nov 2009, 12:46 am »
Hugh, 65mv, I am glad you agree, it confirms my hearing is not shot yet.

Good luck with the development of 150 watter, should keep the power hungry fraternity well fed and thus expand the number of potential customers.