SORAYA AND TUBE PREAMPS

AUDFILE74

SORAYA AND TUBE PREAMPS
« on: 26 Apr 2009, 04:23 pm »
hello Hugh, i was wondering, how does the soraya likes the output impedance from tube preamps. my pre  has a 200 OHM output impedance. how will this work with the soraya?

Occam

Re: SORAYA AND TUBE PREAMPS
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2009, 05:11 pm »
Audifile,

I'm not Hugh, but my Soraya is fronted by my CAT SL-1 (cathode follower output, with an output impedance of slightly over 200 ohms) and it is (to use a hackneyed expression) a match made in heaven.
As a general rule of thumb, one would like a load impedance of at least 10x the source inpedance. Your ratio is about 200x.

Regards,
Paul

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:07 am »
Hi Steve,

Paul is on the money;  any tube pre with a cathode follower output stage will find amps with Zin down to 10K a walk in the park.  The Soraya Zin is around 43K, pretty high, so easy to drive.  Thanks Paul!

The tube preamps that struggle are capacitively coupled from a plate loaded triode;  most of these don't go below 2K Zout, and these really need around a 20K load on the amp to cope.  Of course, this depends on the tube, but even if you used a big 300B, the Zout would still be around 500R, pretty high.

The best tube circuits in terms of drive are transformer coupled common cathode.  Let's choose a tube of plate impedance 5K, about average, and mu of say 40.  Let's put a transformer into the plate circuit, and run it 10:1 step down.  This would give us a gain overall around 4, that is 12dB, which is about right for a line level tube preamp.  The Zout of a transformer depends on the primary circuit divided by the square of winding ratio, so if the Zout of the tube itself were 5K, then dividing this by 100 gives a Zout around 50R.

You would load up the secondary with a 150R resistor (this reflects to the plate at 15K, about right for the tube ratings), and this transformer coupled plate loaded triode would give a very good performance into almost any load - and no caps!!  Of course, the trafo would need to be good quality, gapped, and well made in sections for best performance.

Cheers,

Hugh

AUDFILE74

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2009, 04:42 pm »
THANK YOU HUGH AND PAUL :thumb:

56oval

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 04:09 am »
My line stage pre using the 6H30pi into 600ohm OPT sounded great with Hughs Soraya amp.

Cheers