Status of GK-1 Builders

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:34 am »
Quote from: Rocket
hello larry,

well your 50% of the way there and i think the hardest part is what you have completed.  i'm thinking about completing a basic electronics course at tech this year as i think diy is the way to go.

hopefully someone living close to you may be able to help you with the chassis.

regards

rod

Thank rod for your encouragement.

People are all different. The electronics part is the easiest one for me and what left is the hardest.  :nono:

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:38 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Hi Larry,

Can you work well with timber?

If so, then build the case in wood, then have the metal cut and polished to size, and merely screw it onto the wood, making the box look like metal!  It saves on joining the metal, looks very accurate and neat, and gives you the necessary shielding.  It thinks it's a great idea.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Thank you, Hugh,

My last experience in this area was to chop wood for the bonfire and the axe was not mine.

It is a good idea. Just for me, the wood is as hard as metal.  :evil:   I may be able to nail together a few pieces of timber but I am sure I would not put it close to GK-1  :oops:

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:42 am »
Quote from: Malcolm Fear
Hi Larry
I buy the rack cases from Altronics. I bought a 3RU for the GK-1.
It assembles in 5 minutes.
I live in Gymea (Sydney), if you want a hand.

email me on malcolmfear@optusnet.com.au

Thank you, Malcolm. Very kind of you.

My difficulties are more in the custom design and making. At the end, I may end up with a rack case.

BTW, where did you get your shaft extension, locally or overseas?

Malcolm Fear

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2003, 09:15 pm »
Hi Larry

DACT make shaft extensions. I bought some from them when I bought the DACT stepped attenuator.

AKSA

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2003, 09:37 pm »
Hi Larry,

I will be making some shaft extensions for the GK-1 Stage 2;  design is complete, just need to get a suitable CNC company to do the work.  Initial run will be around 200.

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:46 pm »
Quote from: Malcolm Fear
Hi Larry

DACT make shaft extensions. I bought some from them when I bought the DACT stepped attenuator.

Thanks Malcolm,

Did you order it from any local dealer or directly DACT overseas?

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:58 pm »
Hi Larry,

I will be making some shaft extensions for the GK-1 Stage 2;  design is complete, just need to get a suitable CNC company to do the work.  Initial run will be around 200.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

It's a good news.

As I have not made up my mind how to go with this, I would like to see all options. Do you plan to make shaft extension seperately available ?

AKSA

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2003, 12:52 am »
I think making it available would be a good move commercially.  There is a crying need for these gadgets.

Cheers,

Hugh

Malcolm Fear

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2003, 02:18 am »
Hi Larry
I got the extensions from DACT directly. They are expensive, and not that great. The bushing is made of brass and welded itself to the DACT shaft. It was extremely difficult to work with.
Wait for Hugh's.

wazza

Extension shafts
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jan 2003, 11:55 pm »
Hi Guys
U can also get the shafts from Rod Elliot,he will make to order if required
http://sound.westhost.com/purchase.htm
He's based in Oz

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:19 am »
I think making it available would be a good move commercially.  There is a crying need for these gadgets.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi, Hugh,

I suppose you will make an announcement when the extension shaft is available.

Roughly how long will the day of announcement come, in weeks or months?

AKSA

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:53 am »
Ah, Larry,

You know me well!

I have the design with the fitter;  he will deliver a quote in the next 24 hours, and then production will begin.

I'd say two or three weeks at the most.  But not sure yet on cost.  It will use mild steel throughout with M3 grub screws.  Extension from existing shaft will be at least 250mm, permitting use with deep enclosures.

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:24 am »

I'd say two or three weeks at the most.  

It sounds good to me.

Just that no one offers me a case  :cry: so your baby, and mine, has to end up in a "professional" looking rack case; you know, I like a "sensational" one.

Docster

Status of GK-1 Builders
« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2003, 02:17 am »
I used Rod Elliots for my TLP but it wasn't a good fit for the end slotted ALPS pot as the grub screw was too far in!

A simple solution was to file of the hex end of a $2 shop screw driver attatchment and insert inside the extension and hold it still with the grub screw and a tight fit :oops:  . Thus the flat blade engages the slot if you get the drift...No doubt Hughs will be more elegant :)

Owen