I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

Freo-1

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #280 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:33 pm »
No question that the technology is good, BUT, it's still a pain in the rear to drive an electric car a long distance.  Until such times that is somehow overcome, don't think it will be the dominant vehicle.   

Makes me wonder where the industry stands with fuel cell powered cars.  A few years ago, those were all the rage.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #281 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:55 pm »
It seems to me that, until charging infrastructure is fully established, a portable gas powered 240V generator could be carried in the trunk on those occasional very long trips or for the rare times you ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere.

avahifi

« Reply #282 on: 25 Jun 2019, 11:18 pm »
Tesla already has a extensive Supercharger network along the whole US freeway network at about 100 to 150 mile intervals that typically add over 100 miles of range in about 20 minutes.  There is even a much larger network of level 2 destination chargers at hotels, campgrounds, many municipal centers and electric companies that charge at the rate of about 20 to 25 miles added per hour, fine to charge overnight while traveling. Many of these are free.

I will put in a 240V outlet in my garage soon and that will provide a full charge every morning.

The only exception is North Dakota, which is an electric black hole.  No superchargers there at all but Tesla says that will be fixed later this summer.

A portable gas powered generator will be way too slow, probably run out of gas before adding even 10 miles.

Frank

Freo-1

« Reply #283 on: 26 Jun 2019, 01:58 am »
It is still a pain to drive long distances with electric cars.  Here is a link to an article written about this subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/business/energy-environment/electric-cars-charging.html

I still feel fuel cell will be the eventual technology that replaces petrol cars. 

WGH

« Reply #284 on: 26 Jun 2019, 02:04 am »
.... or for the rare times you ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere.

That's what AAA Plus is for, $91 a year get free towing up to 100 miles, $119 a year gets you 200 miles.

Although once I was working on a job on the Gray Ranch in New Mexico, about 55 miles South of I-10 through Animas, N.M. at the end of the road, technically in the middle of nowhere and my Jeep Wagoneer had a transmission problem and I though I might have to be towed. AAA said "nope, we don't go there". Quadratrack got me out, I turned the Jeep into a front wheel drive vehicle.

artur9

« Reply #285 on: 26 Jun 2019, 03:08 pm »
Can you imagine if we did something like this?  https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/12/china-smart-solar-road-ev-charging/

Electric cars would take over from just about everything.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #286 on: 26 Jun 2019, 05:06 pm »
Can you imagine if we did something like this?  https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/12/china-smart-solar-road-ev-charging/

Can you imagine the complexity of a road repair?

martyo

« Reply #287 on: 26 Jun 2019, 05:52 pm »
Frank, here are the pics from my response #201 earlier in this thread from last September.

Bed and Breakfast in the Redwoods on Northern Calif coast, no cell service, but they have a charging station:

Enjoy the new ride!!

artur9

« Reply #288 on: 26 Jun 2019, 06:25 pm »
Can you imagine the complexity of a road repair?

Yeah.  I think highway repair is already up to $2M/mi. https://www.artba.org/about/faq/

kingdeezie

« Reply #289 on: 26 Jun 2019, 07:28 pm »

This is putting the cart before the horse, or the road before the car as it were.

The only way that charging the vehicle from the road would be worthwhile to anyone who actually enjoys driving their car would be some sort of wireless charging system. The impracticality of a system like that with our current state of technology is immense.

Even wirelessly charging a cell phone in 2019 brings a significantly slower charging speed. While that has, and is still, improving year on year, charging a static cell phone battery wirelessly is still a significant challenge, let alone a free moving motor vehicle.

Assuming electric car companies in China manage to get the technology to work correctly and reliably, it wouldn't likely in this day and age, have a positive effect on the battery. 120V connection to a Tesla only nets you 4 miles per hour. I can't imagine wireless charging off a road, while the car is moving, would even be able to manage that much.

Electric calls will take off in a very major way, as soon as battery technology matures significantly. There wont be any reason to own an ICE when a car battery is able to charge from 0-full in 5 to 10 minutes. With all of the research going on, hopefully that is coming very soon. 

avahifi

« Reply #290 on: 26 Jun 2019, 07:29 pm »
Maybe the reason why the audio system in a Tesla 3 sounds so good is because it is completely battery powered.   :D

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #291 on: 26 Jun 2019, 07:50 pm »
My new Tesla Model 3 has 325 miles of battery range right now.  I can drive from coast to coast without charging worries.

Right now it is slowly charging in my garage on a normal power outlet at 12 amp 117V and 4 miles per hour added.  When I install a 240V line for that it will increase to over 20 miles per hour, enough to have plenty of driving range on an overnight charge.

My local Supercharge station is only 3 miles away from my home and can provide about 100 miles of charge in 15 minutes.

The time for Teslas is now, not some undefined time in the future.

It is a blast to drive!

Frank

Philistine

« Reply #292 on: 26 Jun 2019, 08:12 pm »
i get 30 miles of range per hour from a 240V line, Superchargers charge at 500 miles of range per hour - this throttles back as the batteries start to heat up.  A recent software upgrade preheats the batteries when you're approaching a Supercharging station in order to condition them to charge at maximum rate.   A  recent 700 mile trip cost $20 in Supercharging fees....

stlrman

« Reply #293 on: 26 Jun 2019, 10:39 pm »
Frank , does your car drive itself? Can you put in a GPS and go ?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #294 on: 27 Jun 2019, 12:27 am »

Din't get in a fender bender with your Tesla. It'll be in the repair shop for a LONG time !!!!

WGH

« Reply #295 on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:40 am »
Congrats Frank!

And Arnold is Back!

Arnold Schwarzenegger Stars in a New Ad Plugging Electric Cars
https://youtu.be/rXodSqMpuUQ

Wind Chaser

« Reply #296 on: 27 Jun 2019, 09:09 am »
Congrats Frank!

And Arnold is Back!

Arnold Schwarzenegger Stars in a New Ad Plugging Electric Cars
https://youtu.be/rXodSqMpuUQ

Wow, double cool!  :thumb: :thumb:

artur9

« Reply #297 on: 27 Jun 2019, 12:29 pm »
Assuming electric car companies in China manage to get the technology to work correctly and reliably, it wouldn't likely in this day and age, have a positive effect on the battery. 120V connection to a Tesla only nets you 4 miles per hour. I can't imagine wireless charging off a road, while the car is moving, would even be able to manage that much.

When I'm sitting in traffic going significantly slower than 4mi/h the net effect will be positive I think.  As long as the road can charge the car at a rate that prevents the battery from being depleted it should be fine.  I don't think it's anywhere near there at this time, sadly.

Then there are things like https://www.momentumdynamics.com/ where maybe instead of parking meters we can have wireless chargers.  Going to a "gas station" is such a waste of time. There should be solar powered wireless chargers everywhere I take my car, grocery store, daycare, etc.  Constantly charging a little bit so I don't have to spend 1hr at a charger.

I think a mistake a lot of people make is they think EVs have the same operating characteristics as ICE.  "PersonA: OMG, I can only go 100mi?"  PersonEV:"Well, yeah, if you don't recharge overnight.", PersonA:"I don't have to go to an 'electric station'.?", PersonEV: "Not unless you're on a long trip"

Electric calls will take off in a very major way, as soon as battery technology matures significantly. There wont be any reason to own an ICE when a car battery is able to charge from 0-full in 5 to 10 minutes. With all of the research going on, hopefully that is coming very soon.

Fingers crossed!

charmerci

« Reply #298 on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:37 pm »
Here's a soon-to-come long range solar-powered assist EV  - the Lightyear One. 

rlee8394

« Reply #299 on: 28 Jun 2019, 01:50 am »
Placed my order this afternoon. Got a call from Tesla that they have one en-route to my area. Have a noon appointment on Sunday for delivery. Tesla is busting @$$ to deliver as many cars by the end of the month. If it makes it here for delivery by Sunday, I'll get the $3750 tax credit plus save $1000 on the black color.  :thumb:

-Ron