The CLASS D stereo amp discussion

goryu

• Restricted
Re: The CLASS D stereo amp discussion
« Reply #80 on: 26 Jul 2022, 05:26 pm »
Check this little GaN amp out. Very high value with excellent sound quality.  I owned one for about a year based on a recommendation from here on AudioCircle.
https://premium-audio.com/mini-gan-5-balanced-2-channel-power-amplifier-3.html

I would recommend reading some of the reviews of the mini GaN amp. Here is a sample of reviewer comments:

"the measurements seem to indicate an amplifier that has both design issues and inability to meet specifications. The fact that the company took away the only measurement graph makes it suspect that maybe they had have modified the design and selling something different than what they originally intended. As it is, it is a waste of GaN technology as it brings nothing to the party but high expense.

I can't recommend the Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 amplifier."

"Distortion is fairly high causing SINAD which is the sum of distortion+noise to be worse than a number of budget desktop amplifiers"

"Noise performance by itself is not good either"

"What is not reasonable is high dependence on speaker load when it comes to frequency response"

That last point is important: load dependent frequency response means the amp will change character with the varying load, and will behave differently with different speakers. Most class d amps have solved this issue and have flat response with load, as it should be. This amp has a 25 year old design with a new fet device. Without a design which takes advantage of what a GaN device offers, it's just a pig with lipstick.

Stercom

« Reply #81 on: 26 Jul 2022, 05:31 pm »
I would recommend reading some of the reviews of the mini GaN amp. Here is a sample of reviewer comments:

"the measurements seem to indicate an amplifier that has both design issues and inability to meet specifications. The fact that the company took away the only measurement graph makes it suspect that maybe they had have modified the design and selling something different than what they originally intended. As it is, it is a waste of GaN technology as it brings nothing to the party but high expense.

I can't recommend the Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 amplifier."

"Distortion is fairly high causing SINAD which is the sum of distortion+noise to be worse than a number of budget desktop amplifiers"

"Noise performance by itself is not good either"

"What is not reasonable is high dependence on speaker load when it comes to frequency response"

That last point is important: load dependent frequency response means the amp will change character with the varying load, and will behave differently with different speakers. Most class d amps have solved this issue and have flat response with load, as it should be. This amp has a 25 year old design with a new fet device. Without a design which takes advantage of what a GaN device offers, it's just a pig with lipstick.

Wow thats brutal. I owned it and liked it. I'm guessing those quotes are from Audio Science Review? If so, what were Amir's subjective findings? haha 

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #82 on: 26 Jul 2022, 05:54 pm »
Wow thats brutal. I owned it and liked it. I'm guessing those quotes are from Audio Science Review? If so, what were Amir's subjective findings? haha

It's poorly designed and clearly seeking to profit from the GaN marketing hype. Some might like the sound in their system but ultimately it's flawed and won't perform consistently in any system due to the frequency response varying with load.

Stercom

« Reply #83 on: 26 Jul 2022, 06:02 pm »
Like I said I bought the amp based on suggestions here on AudioCircle from people who owned the amp and used the amp.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #84 on: 26 Jul 2022, 07:03 pm »
The Orchard Audio Starkrimson Class D monoblock amps using a GaN output stage have been very good in my system.  Mine are the original version that is 150wpc.  They also have a 250wpc version now.

GregC

« Reply #85 on: 26 Jul 2022, 07:37 pm »
Cherry Amps also use GaN output stages and sound outstanding.  I have not heard Leo's amps, but I bet they also sound great.

ASR slammed Wyred 4 Sound DACs based on measurements, yet the 10th Anniversary DAC is by far the best DAC I have ever heard in my system.   

MttBsh

« Reply #86 on: 26 Jul 2022, 08:14 pm »
Cherry Amps also use GaN output stages and sound outstanding.  I have not heard Leo's amps, but I bet they also sound great.

I too am a big fan of the Cherry amps. I own and listen daily to a Stereo Maraschino w/60 V power supply, for under 2 grand it would be very hard to beat. Tommy O'Brien, the designer sadly passed away last December and there's no word on anyone picking up the reins. 

skifasterslc

« Reply #87 on: 26 Jul 2022, 08:24 pm »
I am enjoying my Buckeye Hypex https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/hypex-nc252mp-amplifier-2-channel  driving JBL 580

GregC

« Reply #88 on: 26 Jul 2022, 09:07 pm »
I too am a big fan of the Cherry amps. I own and listen daily to a Stereo Maraschino w/60 V power supply, for under 2 grand it would be very hard to beat. Tommy O'Brien, the designer sadly passed away last December and there's no word on anyone picking up the reins.

I spoke to Tommy a few weeks before he passed away.  I am a long time customer of his.  I was both shocked and saddened when I heard of his passing.   

I have Golden Cherry mono amps (blue LEDs and stay awake feature), along with 60V power supplies that Tommy upgraded from switching to linear power supplies for me.  Tommy told me that I was one of 12 people to get the linear power supplies so that was rare.  I also have a King Cherry with 60v power supply for my center channel and a STM MK2 with 60v supply for my surrounds.

goryu

• Restricted
« Reply #89 on: 26 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm »
Haven't followed the Cherry class d amps for quite a while- sorry to have heard of the designer's passing- but I don't believe I ever read or heard that they used GaN devices. That would be news to me.

I think it imperative for people to understand that just because a piece of equipment measures poorly doesn't mean there won't be people who think it sounds great. There really is no accounting for taste.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #90 on: 26 Jul 2022, 11:55 pm »
Back in January 2022 I splurged (for me at least) and bought a class D Hypex-based Nord One NC500DM MKII Dual Mono Stereo Amp.  It is shockingly good and sounds fantastic!  Seemingly unlimited clean power, tremendous detail and soundstage, along with very impressive specs.  It has a modular, user replaceable, discrete op amp input buffer.

I've been very happy with it. Colin, at Nord, is also very pleasant to work with.

Full details and specifications can be found here:

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-nc500dm-mkii-dual-mono-stereo-amp

The MKI (I think) was measured here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/