DAC 9SE vs 9x

pjaizz

DAC 9SE vs 9x
« on: 15 Jan 2023, 01:35 pm »
Hey Everyone!  I'm considering buying either a used 9se or a new 9x DAC.  Can anyone that has used both address the "warmth" of the 9se?  I don't want a bright sound, but I do appreciate the detail. I have the CDT-8 and plan on using the I2S ports.  Mildly interested in the MQA capabilities of the x, but I already have the Meidian MQA DAC when I'm using my computer. Thanks in advance.

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: DAC 9SE vs 9x
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2023, 04:43 pm »
Nuprime's DACs never have bright sound, so don't worry about that. I think many manufacturers who use ESS's reference design ( demo board design) ended up giving ESS the "bad" name of being bright. The DAC-9SE uses AKM chip and it does have warmer sound and a very good DAC. The DAC-9X came along after DAC-9SE as the flagship DAC in the 9 series, therefore it has improved its design with more details. 

I think the trade-off between DAC-9SE is extra warmth vs neutral and more details.

pjaizz

Re: DAC 9SE vs 9x
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2023, 05:34 pm »
Thanks Rusty!  Sounds like the X is what I want, but the SE might be perfect for my system. Would love to hear from 9x owners to "hear" their views.