Another X-LS Encore Question

kwhitman

Another X-LS Encore Question
« on: 13 Jan 2023, 07:46 pm »
I am sure this has been asked in the past but has anyone built a pair of Encores with the port in the front?  Not necessarily a round port it could be a small rectangular cut on the bottom of the face.  It might take making the cabinet slightly taller but was wondering how that would affect the sound.  I'm assuming the cut might have to be a specific size for the tuning, that is why I am asking.  I have a desire to build another pair with a front port so they could be placed in an entertainment center.  I realize that is not ideal placement but in this room that is the only option.  I know I could go with other speakers that are sealed but really love the Encore sound. 

Below picture is just an example of what I am referring to.   Something with a port like this.  Round is fine also.

Comments welcome. 

Kris

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Another X-LS Encore Question
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2023, 07:52 pm »
Another option is to plug the ports on the X-LS Encores. Or even build them as a sealed box. This will reduce the bass extension but if you are using them in conjunction with a subwoofer that wont matter.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2023, 09:36 pm »
Any insight from those who have run the Encores sealed in terms of how the bass might sound different vs the ported application? I have been enjoying my X Voce center channel for a while now, and while its hard to specifically tell which speaker is playing in a 5.1 I feel like the bass from the center channel is fuller and more tight than what I get out of the mains/Encores.

I have considered trying the encores sealed so 200hz down is the same across LCR in my home theatre. I have an F12SE Rythmik sub so extension isnt an issue.  I also have a peak at 110-120hz if memory serves correctly and thought the reduced output might help damp that down a bit as well.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2023, 09:44 pm »
I stuffed my Encore ports a few times and compared. It didn't make the difference I thought it would. The bass is pretty tight ported or sealed at least in my set up. I have not tried filling the cavity more with polyfill, but that might be a test as well to reduce bass in conjunction with plugging the port. I thought I read you can do a front ported XLS, but it chuffs a little from the port when they are front ported.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2023, 11:54 pm »
A front port like that would cause some issues with the Encores.

The simple answer is to plug the port and give them a listen. They work well in a sealed box.