Does a vintage system benefits from a superior cables?

Boris71

I know that the question regarding the impact of cables towards the sound quality is discussed controversial. What I understood so far is, that the better the system, the more you might hear a difference.
Honestly speaking I so far never experimented with cables. Do you guys think a vintage system would benefit from high end speaker / power cables? In my case we're talking about a preamp/poweramp combination from Sony. TA2000F + TA3200F. Is that good enough of a system to have an audible effect? So far I'm using the standard power cable and a standard copper speaker cable with 4mm2.
Any thoughts or experiences? Is it worth to go the cable route?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Does a vintage system benefits from a superior cables?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2022, 12:40 pm »
I suspect that answer to your question is... maybe.  Some amps respond more to better power cables than others.  Why not try a pair of used cables.  You can pass them along and not lose a bunch of money if they don't add anything.
Look for a Triode Wire Labs power cable, either the 7 or 10.  Should be able to find one for $300 or less. 
I find speaker cables more of crap shoot.  What speakers are you using?

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2022, 12:45 pm »
It all depends on if the system can resolve the difference, my advice would be to go to a place that allows you to get the cables on trial. That way you can try it for yourself, you can then decide if you can or cannot hear the difference.

Boris71

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2022, 12:57 pm »
Look for a Triode Wire Labs power cable, either the 7 or 10.  Should be able to find one for $300 or less.
I find speaker cables more of crap shoot.  What speakers are you using?
I'll have a look if there is something used to get. In terms of speakers I currently use the Goodmans Dimension 8, which I'm in the middle of refurbishing. As a fallback candidate the Klipsch Heresy II or the KEF 104/2 Reference.

my advice would be to go to a place that allows you to get the cables on trial.
That would be great, but impossible to find here. You don't even find a real Hifi-Dealer anymore - more or less everything is online these days.

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2022, 01:04 pm »
That would be great, but impossible to find here. You don't even find a real Hifi-Dealer anymore - more or less everything is online these days.

Some companies will do it online with a 30 day return policy.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2022, 03:39 pm »
What budget? I found the best "cheap" ones are Grover Huffman and Morrow MA-3 (stupid long break in period) then Hapa Audio though is far better than them. I don't really notice too much differences unless the music is really loud though.

Boris71

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2022, 06:19 pm »
What budget?
Did not think of a budget - and honestly speaking I rarely hear very loud… Guess I might stay with my cheap cables…

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2022, 07:52 pm »
The only way to find out in this case is to try various cables and see for yourself. No one here can predict an outcome in your system. Here's 3 different types of fairly inexpensive cables you can buy on Amazon and return them if they make no difference. All have been given decent reviews so any or all might be a good place to start depending on your priorities and budget.     
Micca 14 gauge AWG speaker cable.... $30-$45 depending length
Viborg MBU 1606 power cable....$80-$100 depending on length
Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnect.....$48-$60 depending on length

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2022, 08:03 pm »
What budget? I found the best "cheap" ones are Grover Huffman and Morrow MA-3 (stupid long break in period) then Hapa Audio though is far better than them. I don't really notice too much differences unless the music is really loud though.

The problem according to my experience, is that cheaper interconnects make small difference.  I actually compared the Morrow MA-3 to the Hapa Quiesencse Silver. in an A/B test.. the Hapa's were waaaaay better.  And they were waaaaaay more expensive.  Good cable can clearly provide noticeable improvements... but good cables are not a couple of hundred bucks usually. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2022, 10:57 pm »
Actually poorly designed components are most sensitive to cable differences.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2022, 11:04 pm »
Actually poorly designed components are most sensitive to cable differences.
Interesting.  Is there support for this statement other than your experience?

/mp

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2022, 01:41 pm »
I'll have a look if there is something used to get. In terms of speakers I currently use the Goodmans Dimension 8, which I'm in the middle of refurbishing. As a fallback candidate the Klipsch Heresy II or the KEF 104/2 Reference.

Consider an audiophile business based on a mail order, home trial, money back if purchaser doesn't like model. E.g. The Cable Company https://www.thecableco.com/. I'm confident there are others. Perhaps someone else can chime in with relevant pointers.

Another option is non-audiophile, professional wire. Mogami & Belkin are two names which come to mind.

Hope this helps,
/mp 
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2022, 05:24 pm by /mp »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2022, 02:46 pm »
Interesting.  Is there support for this statement other than your experience?
Yes, audio equipment manufacturing consultant Dick Pierce, first noticed this back in the 90's. With interconnect cables acting differently, it was traces to poor design of expensive components.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2022, 04:05 pm »
Yes, audio equipment manufacturing consultant Dick Pierce, first noticed this back in the 90's. With interconnect cables acting differently, it was traces to poor design of expensive components.

I read something years ago whereby the author said that home audio components should have huge copper ground plates and if they did differences in cables would disappear.  But the cost is prohibitive for most products.  Could that be what you're referring to?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:25 pm »
I read something years ago whereby the author said that home audio components should have huge copper ground plates and if they did differences in cables would disappear.  But the cost is prohibitive for most products.  Could that be what you're referring to?
No, the problems were poorly designed input & output stages.

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:26 pm »
I've noticed that some amps are more influenced by power cables than others- but I'm not sure it has anything to do with circuit quality.  Some sources reflect changes from interconnects more than other... my Oppo comes to mind, and other cd players before it. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:37 pm »
Another example of low budget equipment being more sensitive to problems than high-end setups.
At the classical music radio station, the GM receives a call from a listener. There is background hum on the host's mic. So he & I go into the room with the best sound system,room with the good sound system, nothing. At home that evening, I listen thru my hi-fi (better than the stations), nothing.  The next morning, my clock radio turns on, and there is the hum. The clock radio and a mid-bass hump the exaggerated the hum problem.

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2022, 06:38 pm »
Do you guys think a vintage system would benefit from high end speaker / power cables? In my case we're talking about a preamp/poweramp combination from Sony. TA2000F + TA3200F.

I would try to borrow cables before buying high end. The Sony TA2000F and TA3200F are from 1971-1977 and were designed and voiced using interconnect, speaker cables and speakers from that era. Modern high end cables will sound different but you might end up hearing things the designers never intended to be heard.

dpatters

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2022, 07:01 pm »
Why sweat over it. Just by some decent cables from Cullen or Blue Jeans and be done with it. We’re not talking high end components here.

Don P.

Sooopa

« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2022, 11:39 am »
I know that the question regarding the impact of cables towards the sound quality is discussed controversial. What I understood so far is, that the better the system, the more you might hear a difference.
Honestly speaking I so far never experimented with cables. Do you guys think a vintage system would benefit from high end speaker / power cables? In my case we're talking about a preamp/poweramp combination from Sony. TA2000F + TA3200F. Is that good enough of a system to have an audible effect? So far I'm using the standard power cable and a standard copper speaker cable with 4mm2.

I don't believe high end speaker wire will make any difference in a vintage system  Crack a case of any older box and see what type of wiring the manufacturer used.  I bet $1 that it is all very ordinary stuff inside