STA-9

pewe

Re: STA-9
« Reply #360 on: 20 Nov 2020, 02:51 pm »
Here's pictures of my new Nuprime STA-9, got it today. Brand new from a dealer here in Sweden. As you can see I already have the excellent DAC-9. Early listening impressions are very promising. You also see one of my speakers - the mighty Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor.

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 02:31 pm by pewe »

trianglezerius

« Reply #361 on: 23 Jan 2021, 01:35 pm »
Hello. Does anyone use a tube preamp or a tube buffer with this amp? The reason I ask is because the amp is designed to sound like tubes.

Thx

Eisener Bart

« Reply #362 on: 24 Feb 2021, 05:07 pm »
Hello. Does anyone use a tube preamp or a tube buffer with this amp? The reason I ask is because the amp is designed to sound like tubes.

Thx

And keep in mind that in mono mode the tuby coloration is more then in stereo mode.

John Casler

« Reply #363 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:31 pm »
Keep in mind that the association of the 9 Series Components being somewhat "tube-like" is due to the care taken to provide pleasing "even-order harmonics" to the sound output.

That said, tubes are also associated with less than detailed high frequencies, and less than strong/dynamic bass.

Those characteristics are not mimicked in the 9 series.

Chops

« Reply #364 on: 2 Nov 2021, 02:59 am »

Thx

A bit late to the game here, but... Yes!

A very good combination to say the least. Even with the tubes off and the Freya+ in either of the other two modes, the STA-9's sound great. Very open, spacious, holographic. Once the tubes come on, more of the same, with a deeper and wider sound stage, a bit more warmth and body, and even more holographic.

Adalbert

« Reply #365 on: 11 Nov 2021, 07:45 am »
Hi all,
My name is Adalbert, live in Poland. I just purchased a set of dac-9 / sta-9 to feed my Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers. Unfortunaltely, I found them sounding somewhat harsh/bright, especially for cymbals. So I tried to bypass the dac-9 and put the signal directly from blueasound node - most of the harshness was gone. I also borrowed an IDA-16 and the integrated sounded fantastic with the Dyns. Anybody having similar experiences?

rustydoglim

« Reply #366 on: 17 Nov 2021, 09:17 pm »
How long have you been playing on the new set? Perhaps let it play for 50 hours or more to break in and then listen again?

Adalbert

« Reply #367 on: 17 Nov 2021, 09:35 pm »
I think it has already been at least 50 hrs now. It is difficult to describe a sound. I find it too 'intense' or 'overdone', especially for cymbals and vibraphone. Like it was too warm or having too much of the tube-like harmonics. I am not surprised that some prefer the combination of dac-10 and sta-9, for a better tonal balance. What I can do now before I sell the dac is to try more neutral speakers, can you suggest a well proven set to be fed by the dac-9/sta-9 ? Something more precise, with a metal dome tweeter maybe? Thanks.

UPDATE: Poor room acoustics has appeared to be the reason. I have rearranged the furniture and now it sounds as expected!
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2021, 05:18 am by Adalbert »

Eisener Bart

« Reply #368 on: 31 Dec 2021, 01:23 pm »
I am not sure that Dynaudio speakers will match with NuPrime Amps.

Fenek

« Reply #369 on: 1 Jan 2022, 09:37 am »
I prefer amphion speakers, they do a realy good Job.

p7842969

« Reply #370 on: 4 Mar 2022, 11:18 pm »
I have had the STA-9 paired with the DAC-9 for a year, it was very nice until I changed the DAC to a Topping dx pro 7.  Now with the Sabre DAC the STA showed even more detail.  I recently got a Schiit Freya plus to use as a preamp between the Topping as a DAC only and the STA-9 and WOW.  The sound stage opened up even more, the STA-9 really is amazing with this combination.  As with the previous post around this combo - I am impressed.
I have vintage KEF 80s and they sound fantastic to me - I actually bought them new.  The STA-9 really modernised these speakers and with the Freya plus the system sounds truly hi end.  I will get a second STA-9 down the track.

rustydoglim

« Reply #371 on: 7 Mar 2022, 01:07 am »
I will get a second STA-9 down the track.

Go for the STA-9X, it cost a little more (2 nice dinners) but the performance is at a whole different level.

p7842969

« Reply #372 on: 8 Mar 2022, 06:11 am »
I wish there were reviews about the sta9x, thanks for your suggestion though.  Has the sta-9x got 130 w per channel into 4ohm speakers as well as 8ohm?.  Also I can’t find one on sale in Australia yet. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #373 on: 9 Mar 2022, 10:40 pm »
I wish there were reviews about the sta9x, thanks for your suggestion though.  Has the sta-9x got 130 w per channel into 4ohm speakers as well as 8ohm?.  Also I can’t find one on sale in Australia yet. 

The power for 4 ohm is equal or higher, I have to get the measurement.
Please order from New Zealand dealer, he can drop ship to you.

rustydoglim

« Reply #374 on: 14 Mar 2022, 11:20 pm »
STA-9X power at 4 ohm is the same as 8 ohm: 2 X 130W / 1 X 330W
We typically design the amps to have as much power as possible at 8 ohm and 4 ohm, instead of lower power at 8ohm.

p7842969

« Reply #375 on: 21 Mar 2022, 10:08 am »
Thanks for your response.  Much appreciated.  At the moment the 9x is a touch expensive - although it looks great.  I just discovered a short term solution which is to re-use my NuPrime DAC-9 (DAC only) and feed this to my Shiit Freya plus (tubes setting) into the STA-9.  This combo really sounds even better.  The STA sounds even smoother and with more detail than with NuPrime Stack alone.  It’s more analogue - even more levels of texture to the sound.  And this is with vintage speakers.  I assume modern speakers would be even better.

mojo_65

« Reply #376 on: 13 Apr 2022, 08:08 am »
Maybe I am late to this thread but I just joined and this is my second message after my introduction first post...just to share my experience

I am a happy owner of the STA9 since 2017. It's been a surprising partner, considering the price it's such a capable amp... My former system was a active bi-amp using 2 Electro Voice 15" woofers and 2" drivers via electronic xovers and the STA9 was driving the bass channels. I needed to go balanced so it replaced a great 125 w tube amp... Surprisingly it was working even better than the former power amp, remarkable indeed.
Obviously that was not an decisive test for the STA9 because it was only appointed to the range below 800hz...

Recently I decided to steer away from a complex bi amp (soon I will not be able to take care of dozens and dozens of kgs...) bought a new pair of Focal Aria 926 and decided to keep the STA9 to drive them. And again I am surprised of the quality of the amp even though the price point might be unbalanced with the rest of the system.

Nevertheless the hifi journey it's probably never ending and now I am considering an upgrade, I would like to improve but not to risk loosing what I like about the sound of the STA9...
to be continued....  :wink:

p7842969

« Reply #377 on: 24 Jul 2022, 09:45 am »
I wonder if a second STA9 would be a significant upgrade in sound quality not just available volume, ie, dual mono. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #378 on: 26 Jul 2022, 08:24 pm »
Dual mono can improve the dynamic but won't significantly improve the sound characteristic.
You can consider getting the STA-9X.

simon740

« Reply #379 on: 23 Jan 2023, 02:13 pm »
Hello,

I have the Graham Audio Chartwell LS6 speakers and thinking about STA-9 with DAC-9.
Will be STA-9 good for this speakers? I listen jazz, blues, acoustic music, vocal...

regards,
Simon