Outlaw Partial Open Baffle

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
Re: Outlaw Partial Open Baffle
« Reply #140 on: 24 Mar 2015, 04:20 pm »
Two subwoofers.  Yes.

Added another sub I had sitting around not doing anything.  So now I have two 8" subs to accompany my OPOBs.  One sub sounded good, two better.  Much.  I see why Omega recommends two subs.  Happy listening all!

happyrabbit

« Reply #141 on: 17 Feb 2016, 05:53 am »
update !

latest layout :  5'  from back wall. 5.5'  speaker separation & 5.5' center line seated position.  Wow !  It's been over a year and I am still awed by these speakers. 

Dwight

Folsom

« Reply #142 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:09 am »
Which amp you using?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd go for 6' in the middle.

happyrabbit

« Reply #143 on: 17 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm »
magnus ma-200.   both my 45 & 2a3 are non-functional  :cry:

borism

« Reply #144 on: 17 Feb 2016, 11:57 pm »
both my 45 & 2a3 are non-functional  :cry:

What happened?

happyrabbit

« Reply #145 on: 18 Feb 2016, 05:40 pm »
The electra fidleity 45 main transformer developed a nasty hum.  I was advised not to use the EML 45's...  But I did.   The tridoe lab 2a3 died during the super bowl.  It died quitely.   it didn't explode and burn down the house so I am happy  :green:  I haven't determine the root cause yet.  I am kinda done with tube amplifiers.   

Dwight

borism

« Reply #146 on: 18 Feb 2016, 07:09 pm »
Dwight,
Sorry to hear. Don't give up on tubes, however. This must be a bad coincidence. I've been using tube amplifiers for at least 10 years without any major issues. Actually, your 2A3 tube experiences - as chronicled on AC - led me to get an EML 2A3 S for my Bottlehead Stereomour. Great tube.
Good Luck!
Boris

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #147 on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:34 am »
Dwight,

I second what borism said about not giving up on tubes.  The Electra Fidelity would be the one I would concentrate on fixing - nice amp.

Although the Triode Lab amps are lovely looking and can be ordered with nice iron, the circuit board mounted tube sockets are a compromise, hence Triode Lab's lower pricing.  Between heat bleeddown from the tube and flexing during tube rolling, the board could be a fail point.  I have no problem with circuit boards as long as the traces are heavy duty and no tubes are mounted on them.

Would I own an amp with tube mounted sockets?  Probably, but I would settle on a tube I liked and not roll, and I would make sure the ambient room temperature didn't exceed 70F.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #148 on: 19 Feb 2016, 02:35 am »
Dwight,

I second what borism said about not giving up on tubes.  The Electra Fidelity would be the one I would concentrate on fixing - nice amp.

Although the Triode Lab amps are lovely looking and can be ordered with nice iron, the circuit board mounted tube sockets are a compromise, hence Triode Lab's lower pricing.  Between heat bleeddown from the tube and flexing during tube rolling, the board could be a fail point.  I have no problem with circuit boards as long as the traces are heavy duty and no tubes are mounted on them.

Would I own an amp with tube mounted sockets?  Probably, but I would settle on a tube I liked and not roll, and I would make sure the ambient room temperature didn't exceed 70F.

Rob,

Another option to facilitate tube rolling without wear on the amp is socket savers.  I've had them in the Inspire for some time.  I may wear out the socket savers but, as far as the amp knows, I never swap tubes!   :icon_twisted:

..........Peter