Kodak Files for Bankruptcy and the Decline Film Stocks ....

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Kodak Files for Bankruptcy and the Decline Film Stocks ....
« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:05 pm »
I don't know if this offering is kosher in this circle or, more specifically, in this thread but I have a Nikon FM2 in excellent condition that I rarely ever used. I bought it used about 20 years ago from a friend who was a collector. I doubt if I shot more than 20 rolls of film with it. I would like to sell it along with the lens that is attached. The lens is a Tokina AT-X 357. 35-70 mm. F-2.8. The only reason I know that is because I still have the box it came in. I don't know much about cameras. If no one here wants it, can you tell me what it is worth and where to sell it? I'm guessing the market is very soft for these.

brooklyn

« Reply #41 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:57 pm »
I remember when I was a kid watching Walt Disney on a Sunday night on a Motorola black and white TV and one
of the commercials was for Eastman Kodak. I used to love those commercials, I found them very interesting.

Below is a link on You Tube for a Kodak Commercial… $74.00 would get you a color Camera..

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqNDmkNKeo

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #42 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:01 pm »
it's kosher, MJ!  When I took over the thread we checked and got the OK for it!

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2014, 04:52 pm »
Thanks, Bob. Any idea what it's worth or who might want it. I haven't used it since the late 90s. It just sits in a camera bag with some desiccant and an old flash unit. It's all part of the Perreaux project. Getting rid of things that are not in use. So far I've sold 3 amps and a preamp.
Anybody want a little used, non-traveling Yamaha stage piano? It's called the P-120. My son practiced - grudgingly and under duress - for about 3 years under my wife's whip for half an hour a day. That ended in about 2005 when he switched to drums. Since then it has been idle. It has never been out of our house since the day I unboxed it.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #44 on: 24 Aug 2014, 05:04 pm »
Tom, go ahead and start an Eye-Fidelity "for sale" thread.  I had a buddy looking for just that camera, but he found one a few weeks ago.   :?

SET Man

« Reply #45 on: 2 Sep 2014, 03:36 am »
I don't know if this offering is kosher in this circle or, more specifically, in this thread but I have a Nikon FM2 in excellent condition that I rarely ever used. I bought it used about 20 years ago from a friend who was a collector. I doubt if I shot more than 20 rolls of film with it. I would like to sell it along with the lens that is attached. The lens is a Tokina AT-X 357. 35-70 mm. F-2.8. The only reason I know that is because I still have the box it came in. I don't know much about cameras. If no one here wants it, can you tell me what it is worth and where to sell it? I'm guessing the market is very soft for these.

Hey!

The Nikon FM2 is probably one of the great Nikon MF camera. My uncle bought one back in the early '90s. To check the current market price, just check eBay and local listing like Craig's List.

I remember when I was a kid watching Walt Disney on a Sunday night on a Motorola black and white TV and one
of the commercials was for Eastman Kodak. I used to love those commercials, I found them very interesting.

Below is a link on You Tube for a Kodak Commercial… $74.00 would get you a color Camera..

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqNDmkNKeo

Thanks for the link. It was fun to watch for sure. $74 back than was a lot of money. And man! How far we've come.

And that's why most of your parents and their parent didn't take lots of pictures back than. But what they left us with are truly treasures. And look at we now, just snap away and stick them in the HDD of our computer.  :roll:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2014, 04:56 am »
Hey!

Well, there's a bit of a good news on analog film photography...

http://petapixel.com/2014/08/27/italian-film-company-ferrania-start-manufacturing-film-mid-september/

Italian Ferrania company will start making film again. It is a bit surprised to see but I hope this is true and hope they can pull it off.

Wonder what they will come up with. Would love to see B&W and 400 ISO chrome. If they do pull this off I will definitely buy some to try. :D

By the way, do watch the film it is fun to watch.

Although this is not new but Ilford recently opened photo finishing lab in CA that will process your film by mail on real photo paper!

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/29/ilford-opens-up-photo-lab-in-california-will-process-your-film-by-mail/

And here is the mailer...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1015183-REG/ilford_101513_prepaid_film_developing_mailer.html

I have to say that starting a film factory and film labs today sound crazy, well maybe there are enough film users out there for them to see profit.  :scratch:

Take care,

Photon46

« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:19 am »
Thanks for the news update Buddy! I'm not really surprised this is happening though. I've talked with people in the film/photo paper distribution business in the past and was told that the biggest problem with the film industry was the disconnect between the economy of manufacturing scale that the film industry was set up for in its heyday vs. the size of the current market. Old manufacturing facilities were designed to operate efficiently at a certain production capacity and that capacity was vastly greater than what today's market has shrunk to. Film manufacturers know they can sell a certain amount of film to the arty crowd but that figure is too low to allow for profit in the context of the big production facilities of the past. If you shrink the size of the manufacturing plants, the calculus changes. Problem was, with the world's economy in a prolonged funk, nobody wanted to take a gamble on the investment. I suppose with some evidence of an improving economy, it was bound to happen that some investors would take the plunge.

The situation is analogous to what happened in the photogravure industry (a process we work with a great deal at our printmaking studio.) As commercial printers abandoned rotogravure, the production of carbon tissue shrank every year. Finally Macdermid Autotype, the last large scale producer of carbon tissue called it quits a few years ago. All the remaining fine art studios using the process bought all the remaining stocks and put it in their freezer chests and we hoped for the best. Sure enough, after a few years, smaller production facilities have popped up and their are some new sources for new production carbon tissue (at much higher prices than in the past though.) Capitalism, like nature, abhors a vacuum!

SET Man

« Reply #48 on: 13 Sep 2014, 03:20 am »
Hey!

Photon46, good points there. Kodak was a giant and the demand for film is much lower now. One thing you've go right for sure is the higher price. But I kind of expected that, let's hope it won't be too much  :?

Talking about film, I live in NYC and sometime I would come across people with film cameras. Recently I was a Whitney museum on Wednesday and saw two people with manual focus SLRs. Most of the time these are younger 20's to 30's something, some of which you would describe as hipsters.

And I've heard that there are some people going back to shooting film again, let's hope this will be enough to keep film going. :D

Take care,