Power Cables review: Mongo, MPC+, MPC

jn316

Re: Power Cables review: Mongo, MPC+, MPC
« Reply #20 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:01 pm »
Hey, Dave.

Please add me on the tour as well. You have all my information I believe. If you need anything else, let me know.

Gary  :D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:43 pm »
Yeah, stoopud me.  The whole StealthMarketing  (ie: low key, non-existant, borderline ignorant) thing.  I have since started putting labels on all of the cables.  Mongo is the big (Mongo 10ga) cable.  MPC/SourceOne (14ga) is the cable with Wattgate connectors and the MPC/SourceOne+ (14ga) cable is the one with the Furutech connectors.

Dave

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 16 Nov 2012, 03:48 pm »
I'm going to formulate some additional thoughts and get it posted this weekend.

In the meantime, can the person who is next in the tour please contact me with shipping information.  I'll try to get it to you before Thanksgiving.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:36 pm »
Here is a common conversation that revolves around cabling - especially when one gets used to a particular setup and then throws the wildcard of a new power cable into the equation.  First is the message from a likely victim:

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm still trying to wrap my head around your Mongo cord.  I plan on getting it out to [the next victim's name here], but its really got me torn.  I love the additional openness, coherence and dynamics vs the TWL 8+ but I am wanting for a little more warmth/emotional communicativity.  But now when I listen with my TWL on the uberbuss my system sounds a bit lifeless and duller.  On the other hand even my wife hears the improvements with your PC, but I can't help but shake a concern I may be more intellectually stimulated then emotionally.

This thing is much better then I expected it to be... ""

Now, my reply:

"Finding the proper balance of weight, slam and smooth detail (openness) is the hardest thing to do in a sytem that is already a good one.  This is the "fine tuning" (voicing) that separates excellent systems from good ones.

Have you tried it on your power amp with the TWL 8+ on the Uber?  Try it everywhere in your system until you find the balance that you are looking for.  Just because it is a 10ga cable does not mean that it should only be used in high current applications.  I (and others) have found that it is THE cable to use on digital sources.  My Tranquility SE loves Mongo - they have a thing   :lol:  .

Tell me what your equipment is and I'll tell you some other places to try it and the other cables in the package.

Happy listening!"

I've said it a million times - there is no cable that is perfect for every application.  Bright systems need a darker cable and darker systems need a livelier cable.  It ain't rocket science... it's just time (and sometimes money!!!) consuming.  Time well spent in trying everything one can is the best way to audio bliss.

Dave

EDIT - an added thought concerning cabling in general:

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! - When a cable sits unused energy states in the dielectric change and take a while to stabilize - in the case of teflon and polyethylene (my cables) this can take a week or more.  When the cables are not in use run them on your computer or something to keep it working.

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2012, 04:30 pm »
I’ve been meaning to post some additional thoughts on Dave’s cables, particularly the Mongo which was my main focus on this tour, but time has not been on my side as of late.

Now that I’ve got a free moment and am thinking about it, I figured I’d get this post up.

In a nutshell, I really enjoyed the Mongo.  It impressed me far more then I thought it would, with better resolution, dynamics and overall coherence than the Triode Wire Lab 8+ I used on my UberBuss.  It also seemed to set forth a wider stage with sharper imaging and I was pretty sure at fist I would buy it.  In fact, the emails anonimized by Dave above were mine.

Over time however, I found that there were a couple of areas that the TWL excelled at that I found myself wanting a bit in.  The TWL had bolder tonal colors and a more relaxed and emotional presentation.  By contrast the Mongo was a little leaner (not anemic or anything) and a bit more analytical in nature. 

This is NOT a negative, but just a characteristic that needs to be taken into account when matching components. 

I was very close to buying the Mongo, but I ultimately found my delicate balanced shifted just slightly outside of what I wanted and the TWL was a better fit. 

I strongly encourage anyone looking at power cords in this price range to check one out, its definitely one of the leaders of the pack as far as what is out there and could be exactly what your system needs.