Power Conditioners?

lextek

Power Conditioners?
« on: 13 Aug 2004, 01:42 am »
What are you folks using?  I am considering a PS Audio Ultimate outlet.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2004, 01:49 am »
BPT 3.5 Signature

Best out of all the ones I have tried:

Monster (various models)
ExactPower EP15A
Shunyata Hydra (original version)

George

TheChairGuy

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2004, 02:54 am »
Another vote for BPT...mine the BP-2 with upgrades (L-9 Power cable, cryo silver wire, hi current filter and Zsleeve)

Had (or have):

Monster Cable PowerBar 1100
PS Audio Power Plant 300
PS Audio Ultimate Outlet (not UO model)
CyberPower 1500AVR (if you count this as a 'conditioner')

orthobiz

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2004, 12:27 pm »
I can't decide.
Can't get through the hype.
So, I bought a PS Audio Power Director 3.5.
We get major league scary lightning storms and I
thought protection would be important until I can sort
out the details. Don't know if I hear a big difference (by
the time I plug all those pieces in, can't remember the
original sound) but I sure do feel better.

I wish there were some way to figure it out once and
for all...

biz

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2004, 12:40 pm »
Quote from: orthobiz
I can't decide.
Can't get through the hype.
So, I bought a PS Audio Power Director 3.5.
We get major league scary lightning storms and I
thought protection would be important until I can sort
out the details. Don't know if I hear a big difference (by
the time I plug all those pieces in, can't remember the
original sound) but I sure do feel better.

I wish there were some way to figure it out once and
for all...

biz

Biz,

I didn't have very good luck in the past with PS Audio products (both in terms of reliability and sonics).  Their power plants did my harm than good and ran very, very hot.

If you can spend the money, the BPT products will be a noticeable step up in my opinion and still provide the protection you seek.

George

StevenACNJ

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2004, 01:22 pm »
BPT 3.5 Signature here & best way to go

shokunin

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2004, 01:43 pm »
Using an original Shunyata Hydra.  Have not heard the BPT 3.5 Sig... yet.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2004, 02:02 pm »
The BPT would get my vote also.....  

Balanced power is a great way to go and the units I've seen from BPT offered good value.

byteme

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2004, 02:02 pm »
I've got  one PS audio ultimate oulet feeding my 5 channel amp and an outlet box that feeds my sub amp and denon 3802 pre/pro

Other than that I use two OneAC CP1102's which have been tweaked with cryo'd outlets, ERS paper and Dynamat Extreme.  One feeds my preamp and the other sits behind a Powervar ABC600 (similarly tweaked) to feed all the digital gear.  The second OneAC isolates the Transport from the DAC.  I'm quite happy with the improvements this has provided, in fact I was quite surprised that for the money there was as big an improvement as there was.

All told, for all the gear, cryo'd outlets, ERS and dynamat I'm probably about $350 into this.  Not including the PS audio UO high current which was $270 on it's own.

Marbles

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2004, 02:14 pm »
I use Acme silver cryo'd outlets in the wall for amps and for my PS Audio PP600.

Can't run amps into the PP600 though :-(

If I were to do it over, it would be the BPT 3.5 Signature

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2004, 04:45 pm »
Equitech 2Q balanced power conditioner.  The best money I've spent on an audio component.  

BTW, they've got a killer deal going on at www.equitech.com .  You can get one of their 20 amp Q balanced power transformers in a utility box for $500.  This is the same transformer used in their $2500 audiophile product.  Pay an electrician a couple hundred more to mount and wire the utility box and run a balanced, isolated 20 amp dedicated circuit to your listening room.  If you need more than 20 amps, get two transformers and wire up two circuits.

This is the method many recording studios use to balance and condition their AC power.  I don't know of anything else else under $2k that could beat this setup for power conditioning.

I'm not affiliated with Equitech; just a satisfied customer passing the word along.

Russ

Jon L

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2004, 08:12 pm »
That's a great deal at Equitech transformers.  Personally, I always felt their "audiophile" stuff was a bit pricy.  

Balanced power is great, but just like anything in Audio, including cables, one must try different solutions to see what you like best in your system.

I have gravitated towards battery-buffered AC regenerating solution myself, while others have done some very interesting stuff.  If money was no object, I'd build every component with huge batteries AND huge reservoir cap, and cut myself off from the evil power grid...

jimmyp58

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2004, 04:41 am »
Another vote for BPT....

Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2004, 11:26 pm »
You can't go wrong with BPT considering their 30 day money back guarantee. Nothing is 100% and if it doesn't work for you, you're out shipping costs. But frankly, I've heard any more folks swear by BPT conditioners than not. Me included. I have my whole home theater system plugged into a modified BP2.5 w/Bybee's , DynamiCaps, silver wiring, ERS(lots&lots), Hubbels, high current noise filter, L-9 power cord w/Z-Sleeve Ultra and a Bolder Bybee IEC adapter. Fact is I was totally sold on my BP2.5 when it was a stock unit but it was all the tweaks that brought out the best performance. This can now ALL be had with the BP3.5 Signature. Hope MHO helps. :D Regards, Robin

beat

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:50 am »
What about something from furman? Anyone ever check it out? My buddy swears by it for his recording studio. It seems to be reasonably priced also.
http://furmansound.com/

ekovalsky

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2004, 06:17 am »
Quote from: beat
What about something from furman? Anyone ever check it out? My buddy swears by it for his recording studio. It seems to be reasonably priced also.
http://furmansound.com/

I used to have an IT-1220.  It is a superb conditioner and a bargain at its price point.  Being a "professional" rather than "audiophile" product it isn't very pretty to look at, but it is certainly built like a tank.  You should be able to find a used one for $800 or less.  

Functionally it is similar to BPT, Equi=Tech, etc.  Of course it lacks the audiophile-approved outlets, silver wiring, auricaps, ERS paper, etc.  I cannot say how worthwhile these upgrades are for a power conditioner.

If you are willing to spend more, the IT-Reference is awesome.  At CES 2004 it was powering the system in TAD room, which was my vote for best sound.  The BPT 3.5 Signature (which I currently own) and ExactPower SP/EP units are excellent too.  I'd suggest avoiding the PS Audio Powerplants, in my experience the P1000 was a fire hazard and also very unreliable (it did sound great though).

zybar

• Volunteer
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:17 pm »
Eric,

Do you know pricing on the units?

I checked the Furman website and they don't list any prices.

Are you thinking of replacing the 3.5 Sig?

George

doug s.

• makin' music
Power Conditioners?
« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2004, 03:52 pm »
fullcompass.com carries furman.  i have found them to be wery competitive on pricing.  ask for joel at x1116.  according to their website, the list price for the it-1220 is $1579.
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--26331/index.html

the it-1230 has 50% more capacity (3600w, 30a) for $1879
http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--40767/index.html

hth,

doug s.

hmen

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2004, 07:40 pm »
I use a BPT 2 Signature. It's an incredible system upgrade for the money.

jym

Power Conditioners?
« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:06 am »
Has anyone tried a Richard Gray power conditioner? I'm wondering how it stacks up against the BPT.