Need Advice - Monster AVS 2000 or PS Audio 10?

Bghead8che

Need Advice - Monster AVS 2000 or PS Audio 10?
« on: 7 Jan 2013, 03:21 am »
I own a Monster AVS 2000 and a HTPS 7000.

My System is as follows:

TV                      Sharp Elite 70"
Amp                   Anthem P5
Processor          Denon 4520
Subwoofer         Rythmik 15"
Blu-Ray              Oppo
Satellite             Dish DVR

Does anyone know how much the Monster(s) can handle?  Would I need 2 or more of the AVS 2000s?  I don't want to run the risk of blowing the Monster or the attachd equipment.  Is there any way of using the numbers (like amps drawn) to determine how many I would need?

Ideally I would like to hook up everything through the AVS 2000 / HTPS 7000.

Also, I am considering going for a P10.  I called PS Audio and the rep recommended hooking up my front end pieces but not my amp, tv, or sub.  Is this correct?  $5K power conditioner can't handle an amp, tv, or sub?  Which pieces of my system do you think the PS Audio could handle? 

Thanks,

-Brian

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Need Advice - Monster AVS 2000 or PS Audio 10?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2013, 04:42 am »
Well, your Monster HTPS7000 can display how many amps are in use. So LOOK at that display to see how close it is to  the maximum.
So can the AVS2000.
(I used to own an AVS2000 but sold mine as i really did not need it. I still own but no longer use my HTPS7000SS.)
I use a Furman REF20I for most of my stuff including my amp.
I also own a PS Audio P-600 I bought after I found out it is one of a very very few devices for power which can alter the frequency of the A/C. So I have my P600 set to output 110hz sinewave A/C power for my digital stuff.

One point about PS Audio is that the units all regenerate power. So you have to realize they can only transform about half the energy they use into output power. And they should not be stressed much. So using them they should not be asked to give more than half the rated power output.. or you are going to wind up with not so great power.
And the output is NOT perfect, just better than the power going in.
(I had owned a PS Audio PPP and also sold that to buy the P600.. I was not too impressed  with the PPP)

I found I did not actually need the AVS200 as my power only fluctuates a little. And the  AVS does reduce the quality slightly.
My Furman REF20I is better sounding than the Monster was. It costs over twice as much, but I found one used over on Audiogon a few years ago for $1,500. and close enough to go pick up in person.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:08 am »
Try plugging your amp directly into the wall and listen.  An audio friend here recommended that to me and I haven't looked back.  Remarkable transformation, dynamics improved, the amp sounded much cleaner, soundstaging was better, I was amazed.  I still use my Pure AV for preamps and turntables, and a big honkin' iso transformer for digital components, and never worry how much power is on tap.   

Bghead8che

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:59 pm »
I did a little more research. 

The monster can handle 1800 watts.  The P10 can handle 1500 (suprising considering the price).  Now I need to add up the draw of my components and see what the total is.  I know the Anthem P5 draws 1800 X 2 so it definately won't be hooked up to either!

-Brian

srb

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2013, 06:49 pm »
I know the Anthem P5 draws 1800 X 2 so it definately won't be hooked up to either!

Brian, I can see why you could have a "Big Headache"!  That P5 is a monstrous beast @ 130 lbs., 22-1/2"D and two power cords!

Although I doubt that you would ever drive to full power consumption on all channels, do you plug it into two separate house circuits?

Steve