2006 CES Show Report....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
2006 CES Show Report....
« on: 7 Jan 2006, 03:53 am »
Spotted this report on the 2006 CES show in Vegas....mainly photo's so far. :)

lonewolfny42

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2006, 04:02 am »
You can check Enjoy The Music as well.... 8)

Hogg

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:00 pm »
Here's another link, SoundStage's report:

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/ces2006/

Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:09 pm »
Overall, pretty weak reporting so far...

George

Hantra

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:29 pm »
Thanks for the link to Soundstage.  

Their website layout is incredibly confusing.  I would have found that in probably 20 minutes.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2006, 07:03 pm »

You're not kidding. I think most are not much concerned with CES anymore. They are looking more towards events concentrating on audio such as RAMF.

lonewolfny42

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2006, 04:58 am »
Quote from: Response Audio

You're not kidding. I think most are not much concerned with CES anymore. They are looking more towards events concentrating on audio such as RAMF.
Hopefully some AC members attending the show may check in with their comments.... :)

Jon L

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2006, 06:20 am »
The Stereophile coverage is not bad...

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2006/

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2006, 10:58 am »
The only thing missing is pictures of Wolfy standing by all the speakers with a beer! :lol:

lonewolfny42

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:06 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
The only thing missing is pictures of Wolfy standing by all the speakers with a beer! :lol:
Wasn't always beer....sometimes I switched to wine.... :thankyou:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:07 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:   Where are the pics, then?

lonewolfny42

2006 CES Show Report....
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:15 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:   Where are the pics, then?
Since you asked....
    [/list:u]
      At Bugleboy's Rave....and....[/list:u]
      [/list:u]
        At Hogg's Rave...a little red wine with Vinnie.... :beer: [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
      2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:18 am »
      HEY!  How'd you get a purle AC shirt?   :x

lonewolfny42

2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2006, 11:22 am »
      HEY!  How'd you get a purle AC shirt?   :x
      Must be PhotoShop..... :lol: ....or the lighting.. :wink:

PhilNYC

2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2006, 04:23 pm »
      Hey folks...just posted some pictures from CES/THE Show.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to a ton of rooms, but here's what was able to check out:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=albuu78&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

JoshK

2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2006, 04:48 pm »
      Hey, great pics, Phil.  Would love to hear your comments about the sound of various rooms.  Which did you like best?   I'd especially like to hear your notes on teh Ascendo room and the C.A.R speakers (Halcro/Atmos).

PhilNYC

2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2006, 06:53 pm »
      Quote from: JoshK
      Hey, great pics, Phil.  Would love to hear your comments about the sound of various rooms.  Which did you like best?   I'd especially like to hear your notes on teh Ascendo room and the C.A.R speakers (Halcro/Atmos).

Often times when you go to these shows, after the first dozen rooms, everything kind of starts blurring together.  The rooms that were most memorable to me were:

- WAVAC/Venture:  This room was for me the best combination of a setup that had a very distinct sound that was very pleasing to listen to.  Very sensual and liquid sound, holographic but with good density and weight.

- Halcro/Atmosphere:  This room was one where I can say that I don't think I would ever want this kind of sound at home, but that it was very very very impressive.  It was the most lifelike example of dynamics that I have ever heard from audio gear, the closest thing to live dynamics.  As someone said to me in telling me to check out the room..."I don't know if I liked it, but those dynamics f*&^ed me up".  A Halcro amp that is capable of 1.1+ Gigawatts peak power into high efficency speakers...

- Blue Circle:  Gilbert decided to try to prove a point.  He said "If Dave Wilson can show off $50K+ speakers with an iPod, I can show off $50K worth of electronics with $400 speakers".  Unfortunately, the $400 speakers died in transit to Las Vegas, so he actually used $200 speakers (PSB monitors) instead.  This setup isn't going to win any "best in show" awards, but I thought it was going to sound like crap...instead, it sounded surprisingly good.  

- Antique Sound Labs/Analysis:  Something about planars that just makes that midrange sound gorgeous.

- VMPS:  Didn't spend that much time in the room (it was crowded), but I'll say that its the first time I was sitting outside of the usual tiny VMPS sweetspot and had it sound pretty nice.  Waveguides seem to do some nice things to help widen that spot.  

Beyond that, different rooms were just different flavors of stuff...big systems sounded big, small ones sounded small, and everything inbetween.  Particular flavors that I liked were the new Focus Audio Master 2.5/Vitus room, the Hansen Audio "Prince", surprisingly the new Acoustic Zen Adaggio/Red Dragon setup, and the Kharma/ASR room.  Disappointing rooms for me were the Nagra/Verity setup, Audience (prototype speakers), Naim/Harbeth.

KJ

2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2006, 07:03 pm »
      I'll try to post some pics tonight after I upload them from my camera.  Some of the rooms were very dark, and I'm not sure how well they turned out.  I never realized just how small most of the rooms were until I started walking around.  Not the ideal listening environment in most cases, but everyone seemed to make the best of it.  Overall, it was an enjoyable time.

-KJ

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
      • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
        • Musica Bella Audio
      2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2006, 07:05 pm »
      Hey Phil,
       Any chance you spent tim ein the SP Tech room? How was it sounding? Looks like they were using some nice associated gear.

PhilNYC

2006 CES Show Report....
      « Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2006, 07:18 pm »
      Quote from: Response Audio
      Hey Phil,
       Any chance you spent tim ein the SP Tech room? How was it sounding? Looks like they were using some nice associated gear.

I spent about a song and a half in the SP Tech room (I was touring the rooms with someone else, and we only stopped in each room for 1-3 songs, with a couple of exceptions).  We were listening to the floorstanding speakers, and as you can imagine, the room was quite small.  Still, pretty good sound considering the room...I've heard lonewolf's SP Tech monitors at my place, so I'm familiar with the sound (very dynamic-yet-not-fatuguing sound).  The floorstanders had that same sound, but perhaps were loading the room a bit too much.