Monitor 1

kenk999

Monitor 1
« on: 6 Aug 2003, 11:21 pm »
Hi All,

I am think about the monitor 1 but I can seem to find any review on this speakers.  Can someone please point me to the right directions?

Also is the monitor 1 difficult to setup?

Regards,

Ken

wshuff

Monitor 1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2003, 02:22 pm »
If you are talking about the RM1, I have never seen an official review of it anywhere, although I do think I remember reading a review over on HD by an owner.

The VMPS website does have a review of the RM2 from the now defunct Listener magazine.

Around the forums the RM1 seems to be something of the ugly duckling of the ribbon speakers, mainly I believe because it isn't tall enough to get the ribbons into the proper ear level.  Owners have reported that they have somewhat overcome that problem by tilting the speakers back.  I considered the RM1 but ended up with the 626R, which has the same single midrange and spiral ribbon as the RM1, but trades the dual 8" woofers and passive radiator for a 6.5 inch woofer and the ability to get the height where you need it with a stand.  If you don't need the extra bass of the RM1, you may find that the 626R is a more flexible choice, especially if you have a sub.

kenk999

Monitor 1
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2003, 02:58 pm »
Hi,

I did talk to Brian about the RM1.  Per Brian, due to my current room (20x20x8 - Square  :( , 626R would give me better performance.  

At the end of the day, I have ordered the 626R w/ FST, Cap upgrade, and SC.

I hope this is the right decision.

Ken

wshuff

Monitor 1
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:18 pm »
I have been very happy with my 626Rs with stock cap and spiral ribbon tweeters.  I hope you enjoy your pair.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Monitor 1
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:34 pm »
The FST and cap upgrades take a 626R's to a level of performance I've never heard in a bookshelf speaker before.  Getting the upgrades is definitely a good decision.

wshuff

Monitor 1
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:41 pm »
Geez, Tyson, I'm trying so hard to be helpful and not envious of the upgraded cap and FST.  You ain't making it easy!

:mrgreen:

HarleyMYK

Monitor 1
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2003, 03:50 pm »
I have a pair of the RM 1s and I think they are a great bargain!  For one, there is no need to buy stands.  Second they go down to 32 Hz, so a sub is not so necessary.  Although they are very good and serious speakers, they are  in my family room, and used 85% for casual listening, background, TV, and videos.  

I had planned to use them for the main system I am building in the living room, but my wife liked them so much she hijacked them into the family room to replace the nice Tannoy monitors we had there before.  (Now I am looking at RM 2, RM 40, or ? for the living room).