First Pics of "Bearded" Sound Anchor stands..

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2003, 07:36 pm »
Hey, cool looking stands.  Do the "beards" make a difference?  If so, what is it?  More bass, smoothness, etc.  I am thinking about making a pair of stands this weekend.  Was thinking about a pair using PVC but I could just make boxes and fill them with sand or something.  Also, how much were they?  Lastly, you may want to pull those away from the walls to get better imaging.   You may also want to try a rubber mat (available at any home store) to put under those spikes...although your security deposit is probably already gone. :?

Thanks!

J

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2003, 12:45 am »
Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting those.  I haven't even seen them, as you got the first pair Bob built.

They look very sturdy and the fit to the speaker looks rather good.

Seems to me he said they weigh almost 80# each.

Hope you like them.

ATB,

jasonc

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2003, 02:33 pm »
Jackman,
I can only compare these stands to the bar stools I was using before and you can imagine all areas have improved drastically.  I could remove the beard to see if there is a difference in bass which right now is tight and full sounding.  I suppose that would be the only way I could tell.
As far as the price, they're not cheap.  They list for 560.00 but John gave me a pretty good deal.
When it comes to setup I have to deal with the current until we get our house.  Any bit further out in the room will make for a less functional room overall, although I know the highs would surely open up more.  
Oh and the floor, it's all good. It's been scruffed up for years in different areas well before we moved in.  Right now I have pennies underneath the spikes.

jasonc

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2003, 02:50 pm »
Hey John.
The box's they came in said 79 lbs each so I would imagine they are roughly 5 lbs under that.  They're heavy SOB's but easy to pick up from the sides.  
Note- the MDF on the beard is about 3/4" thick and matches the dark grey of the steal perfectly.

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
Should the beard be on the other side?
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2003, 01:00 am »
I was surprised by the picture, which showed the beard only on the front of the speaker.  Doesn't it make more sense to have the beard either on the back of the speaker, on the side with the bass port, or on both sides?