Recommendations on car speakers

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Recommendations on car speakers
« on: 4 Jun 2012, 05:27 pm »
I'm in the market for speakers for my car.  Anyone have any experience with high quality car audio speaker brands that can rival audiophile speakers?  I'm pretty clueless.  Most of my experience in car audio comes from those idiots who blast their distorted one note hip hop/rap bass at an intersection on weekend nights.

srb

Re: Recommendations on car speakers
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2012, 06:11 pm »
Focal would be one.  Very good and fairly expensive.

http://www.focal-america.com/category/speakers/

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2012, 07:26 pm »
Wow :o, those are expensive except for the coaxial designs.

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2012, 08:09 pm »
These may be the best deal out there right now:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12224_Pioneer-TS-D1720C.html

A few years back they were over $500.00 for the same. 

Jim

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2012, 08:58 pm »
Where can I audition some of these speakers?  Please don't tell me Best Buy.

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:02 pm »
dracule1

are you adding speakers to the existing head unit? or adding an amp too? the better speakers really need better amplification than most stock head units

low.pfile

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:04 pm »
Where can I audition some of these speakers?  Please don't tell me Best Buy.

some midrange audio places have those wall mounted displays. but the car environment is so different than a showroom. mainly size affecting loading and reflection.

small and independent dealers might have a demo car

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:10 pm »
I was going to use the original head unit (205 watts) in my car. It is suppose to be a luxury vehicle, but I really don't know the quality of the head unit.  I really don't want to change the head unit because the vehicle electronics (Nav, climate, stereo, etc) are controlled by a the car manufacturer's special interface, and by changing the head unit, I might not be able to control the stereo with the interface.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:14 pm »
Yes, you're right.  Unless the speakers are in a car, it is pretty difficult to judge the sound quality based on wall mounted displays.  I guess I need to find a local installer who is familiar and carries Focal, Scan Speak, Dynaudio etc.

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2012, 09:57 pm »
Dracule1:

Most auto stereo dealers/installers of decent gear will be able to help you with the choosing of speakers for your vehicle based on their experience.

Whatever you end up with, I hope they put a big smile on your face!

Jim

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm »

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2012, 02:59 am »
Medium jim or others,
This thread is 'recommendations on car speakers' I would like some recommendations on 5x7 or 6 x8 speakers for my doors in my ford fusion.  I have separate tweeters in the front door  - do I need components or a coaxialsl?
Boston Acoustics Polk Infinity Alpine  I dont know quality in the car audio speaker area.  Home audio I know but not auto.
I just purchased the double din sized pioneer 4400 dvd receiver for my head unit.
Thanks!

medium jim

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2012, 03:29 am »
Medium jim or others,
This thread is 'recommendations on car speakers' I would like some recommendations on 5x7 or 6 x8 speakers for my doors in my ford fusion.  I have separate tweeters in the front door  - do I need components or a coaxialsl?
Boston Acoustics Polk Infinity Alpine  I dont know quality in the car audio speaker area.  Home audio I know but not auto.
I just purchased the double din sized pioneer 4400 dvd receiver for my head unit.
Thanks!

Hi Mr_Bill:

The best right now are Focal, Dynaudio, McIntosh as the high end of the cost scale.  There are some nice affordable speakers out there with Premier by Pioneer being my personal favorite.

Look for components not coaxial even if it means doing a custom installation.  Go in with an open mind to your local High-End Car Audio Dealer/Installer and do some Q&A.  Many will offer you a trial period on the high-end stuff so you won't get stuck with something your ears don't like....usually just pay a nominal fee to cover the labor. 

Jim

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2012, 06:47 pm »
I found a local installer who is a dealer for Focal, Dynaudio and German Maestro (founded by members of MB Quart). The latter appears to be even pricier.

Mobile tube amps  8)
http://www.butleraudio.com/car.php

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2012, 06:56 pm »
Mobile tube amps  8)
http://www.butleraudio.com/car.php

Yep, it's quite good. I use the TBD-475.

On the speaker side, don't discount the Polk line. Sure, they may not have the name bling of Focal and Dyn but they are quite good. I know somebody said 'don't tell me to go to Best Buy' but if you want to hear the entry line of Polk, they carry them. They are head and shoulders better than the rest on their walls. Myself, I'm using the SR6500s behind the Butler, their top components. BB doesn't carry them.

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2012, 06:48 pm »
Hi Mr_Bill:

The best right now are Focal, Dynaudio, McIntosh as the high end of the cost scale.  There are some nice affordable speakers out there with Premier by Pioneer being my personal favorite.

Look for components not coaxial even if it means doing a custom installation.  Go in with an open mind to your local High-End Car Audio Dealer/Installer and do some Q&A.  Many will offer you a trial period on the high-end stuff so you won't get stuck with something your ears don't like....usually just pay a nominal fee to cover the labor. 

Jim

Mr Medium Jim,
How about these?    Memphis Audio:  15-MCC6 - Memphis 6.5" MClass
This is a new brand for me and I heard them yesterday and they sounded real good.
Just have no clue about Memphis Audio

medium jim

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2012, 06:52 pm »
Mr Medium Jim,
This is a new brand for me and I heard them yesterday and they sounded real good.

I'm not familiar with them, but maybe someone else around here is...

Jim

mr_bill

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2012, 07:11 pm »
My other finalist:
T2652-S - Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Aluminum Component System

decal

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2012, 07:39 pm »
Mr Medium Jim,

I use Memphis Audio M-class speakers and  amps in my truck and really like them a lot.They are smoother and more detailed than the Kicker speakers I had been using for several years. IMO, Memphis is one of the best "affordable" companies in car audio today. Of course, as always, YMMV.

medium jim

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2012, 08:00 pm »
I use Memphis Audio M-class speakers and  amps in my truck and really like them a lot.They are smoother and more detailed than the Kicker speakers I had been using for several years. IMO, Memphis is one of the best "affordable" companies in car audio today. Of course, as always, YMMV.

Good to know!

Jim