Motorcycle Speakers

chgolatin2

Motorcycle Speakers
« on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm »
Hello all, I have a Harley Davidson Street Glide 2011.  I don't know if we have any riders on this forum but I figure we should have a few on here.  I originally went to Sturgis last year, had a great time and during my visit to a vendor I had them install J&M audio speakers, amp etc. 

After spending my hard earned money and listening to these speakers I became very unhappy.  So now I'm doing my search for better speakers so I came across Hybrid Audio Technology, Titan 2's speakers purchase them through Biketronics.com owner Mike Mehan.  Has anyone had their quest for a better sounding bike system?  What worked for you, etc?

Thanks~

Shakeydeal

Re: Motorcycle Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:52 pm »
I have a 2006 SG. Most of the press I have heard about the J&M stuff has been negative. I have been a member of the HD Forum site for many years and there have been many J&M threads there. Here is what I did.

I had a local car audio guy do my install.

JL Audio 650 CCX speakers in the dash
Alpine CDA-105 head unit
6' USB cable run into the right saddle bag to use with Ipod touch
JL Audio XD 700/5 5 channel amp in right saddle bag
JL Audio 8" sub in custom enclosure in right saddle bag

I have the four channels bridged to two for the 6.5s in the dash, and the single channel driving the sub. This system sounds very good to me and gives you another option on what can be done outside the motorcyle audio realm.

Shakey

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:54 pm »
I used to ride, but was more of a sportbike guy (sorry!).

I have heard HAT speakers in car installs, and they are excellent.  I have not heard them in a bike install.  They are reputed to be a little hot on the top end, but with wind noise etc that might balance out well.  In the cars I heard, they had EQ's, so no idea what they had done (if anything) to tame the highs.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2012, 06:44 pm »
ARC HAS SOME GREAT STUFF FOR BIKES http://www.arcaudio.com/motorcycle.asp

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2012, 08:15 am »
Is this stuff all waterproof?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2012, 10:58 am »
The two way speakers and sub are marine grade. The amp in the saddle bag isn't exposed to the elements. The Alpine head unit is not marine grade, but I have a cover for it if you get caught in the rain or when washing the bike.

Shakey

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2012, 05:16 am »
wow - i don't even listen to audio in my car; i couldn't imagine wanting to when riding one of my bikes.   :lol:

doug s.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2012, 11:36 am »
It gets addictive. I have my system on every time I am on the bike.

Shakey

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm »

Shakey

That is the whole idea :thumb:

Jim

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:39 pm »

Shakey

That is the whole idea :thumb:

Jim
i enjoy riding too much, to bother w/tunes.  that is the whole idea.   :thumb:

but, to each their own, more power to those who like to listen to music while riding.  i guess i could understand it, on a harley.  a buddy made me ride his heritage softail once; i was out on it for about an hour.  i yust didn't get it at all; i have more fun driving my scion gen-1 xb.  again, to each their own...

two days ago, i was out on the backroads north of fredneck, w/my ex brother-in-law; we swapped rides; i was on his 1000 v-strom, and he was on my motarded dr650.  what a blast!  too busy riding to bother w/music.   :thumb:  later today or early next week, we will do it again; this time, i will take his vfr800 interceptor, and he will take my hotted-up buell s2.  these thumpers and v-twins make their own beautiful music!  :green:

doug s.