Help me choose the best Omegas for my room/system.

Rischa

Hello,

This is my first post in the Omega circle. I'm trying to choose the best Omega speakers for my listening space and system, and was hoping for some advice from members here. I currently drive a pair of Tekton Lores with a Decware Super Zen SE84UFO2 (2wpc), but would like to upgrade my speakers in advance of ordering the new Decware 25th Anniversary Zen amp (also 2wpc).

The main criteria I have for listening is good imaging, with frequency response coming in second (though still important). I listen to, roughly, 40% Jazz, 40% Rock, 15% small-group/chamber classical, and about 5% symphonic, all at low to moderate volume levels.

I'm mainly looking at the tower speakers, but I'm open to monitors if that's what would work best for me. My budget is flexible enough for most of the Omega models. I've attached a schematic of my listening space below.

Many thanks for your thoughts and advice.

mick wolfe

Re: Help me choose the best Omegas for my room/system.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2018, 06:12 pm »
If that's all open space as shown, it's very similar to my HT/casual set up. 2 watts is going to leave you woefully short on headroom unless you listen in the 70 db range. Even (like me) if you're listening at the far end as shown, total room volume  comes into play. If I were choosing an Omega to fill that space/volume, it would be one defined as "high output" and using the 6" Alnico or 8" driver/drivers as a baseline. A few RS5 variations might work, but when I've used my RS5 "omni's" in my HT/casual space, they came off a bit strained trying to drive that size/volume of a room. Once again, this will depend on how loud you listen. I probably listen as loud or louder than most. An Omega sub would be a nice addition as well. Also think you'd be better served by the Decware amp in the 25 watt range. Hope that helps more than hurts  :?

Rischa

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2018, 06:41 pm »
If that's all open space as shown, it's very similar to my HT/casual set up. 2 watts is going to leave you woefully short on headroom unless you listen in the 70 db range. Even (like me) if you're listening at the far end as shown, total room volume  comes into play. If I were choosing an Omega to fill that space/volume, it would be one defined as "high output" and using the 6" Alnico or 8" driver/drivers as a baseline. A few RS5 variations might work, but when I've used my RS5 "omni's" in my HT/casual space, they came off a bit strained trying to drive that size/volume of a room. Once again, this will depend on how loud you listen. I probably listen as loud or louder than most. An Omega sub would be a nice addition as well. Also think you'd be better served by the Decware amp in the 25 watt range. Hope that helps more than hurts  :?
Thanks for the input. I actually get more than enough volume in this space for my needs. If you're saying Omegas won't give me as much volume as my Lores, then that's something to consider. The Super 8 XRS are rated the same sensitivity as the Lores (98db), so I assumed at least this model would work for me, only better, since the Lores have a power-sucking crossover. Maybe I assumed incorrectly, though.

Rischa

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2018, 06:52 pm »
I should clarify that my goal isn't to fill the room with loud music, it's to create a holographic soundstage with great pinpoint imaging at moderate volume levels from my listening position (marked with an x on the map). I'm already achieving this goal with my current system, but was hoping Omegas would improve things further considering they're better speakers than my Lores (or so I'm assuming). Many thanks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2018, 07:17 pm »
  Just ask Louis. That simple. Love to see you have your speakers on short left wall with lots of open space behind you.

charles

Rischa

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2018, 08:08 pm »
  Just ask Louis. That simple. Love to see you have your speakers on short left wall with lots of open space behind you.

charles
Thanks, I'll definitely talk to Louis before purchasing. Unfortunately most of the left short wall is taken up by a fireplace. WAF factor and room layout limit the set-up to it's current configuration. It sounds pretty good considering the compromises made.

marioed

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2018, 09:30 pm »
I'll second Charles suggestion to talk to Louis. I have a room setup similar to that in your diagram except my long wall is about 25' and I have a L leg about 12' long and 15' wide off the wall where the music rack & speakers are. After giving Louis a detailed description of the room, my setup, what I was looking to improve about the speakers I was using then and my budget he recommended the Junior 8xrs. I'm using a decware se84ufo to power them. I couldn't compare them to the Lores since I've never heard a pair but I will say the synergy between decware amps and omega speakers is pretty amazing. My normal listening volume for the se84ufo & Junior 8xrs is the volume knob at around 11 o'clock.

Regards,

Ed

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2018, 11:24 pm »
Thanks for the input. I actually get more than enough volume in this space for my needs. If you're saying Omegas won't give me as much volume as my Lores, then that's something to consider. The Super 8 XRS are rated the same sensitivity as the Lores (98db), so I assumed at least this model would work for me, only better, since the Lores have a power-sucking crossover. Maybe I assumed incorrectly, though.

No, only was suggesting larger driver Omega's (which you've now mentioned) would be a better fit in a room that size.  Also, if you're happy driving the Lores with a 2 watt amplifier, the Super 8 XRS should be as good or better in this regard as well. With that said and as others have noted, the true voice of reason here would be Louis.