Virtue Two.2: Speaker Selection

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Virtue Two.2: Speaker Selection
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2011, 04:38 am »
We've had 4 or 5 inquiries into Piano and those are queued for the last units in stock.  These require adjustment of the trays and are taking a bit longer to prepare.  Net-net, I'm not willing to prioritize a new Piano production before we see the Virtue THREE and DAC leave the dock.  Since Melissa won't let me go into debt anymore, I can't be more ambitious.  Piano is fantastic and I hope we can make more in early 2012.

badgerdms

« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:39 pm »
I was looking at the Virtue 2 and this was more or less my question so I hope people don't mind if I expand upon it just a bit.  I've heard the S-520s (a couple of years back) and was very impressed for the price.  Other thoughts have been the updated Silverline Minuets, the Era (now Peachtree) D4 and the Monitor Audio RX1.  Not sure if there is any experience with any of those, but would love to hear about it if there is.  I'm using a Mac Mini into a Bel Canto 1.5 DAC.  Right now I'm using the original Nuforce Icon and S-1 & W-1 speaker/sub combo and am looking to upgrade with the Virtue 2 and one of the ablove listed speaker pairs. Music is all rock, country and jazz--no classical and listening would be all near field.

Thanks!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2011, 06:53 am »
Badgerdms,
Can you post in the ONE/TWO speaker thread?
Seth

hifinovice

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:23 am »
If budget permits, should try listen to the Nola boxer.  It is pretty amazing. :D

jhm731

« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2011, 11:03 pm »

badgerdms

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2011, 09:40 pm »
If budget permits, should try listen to the Nola boxer.  It is pretty amazing. :D

I did--it took me less than two hours of listening to buy them.  I'm currently driving them with a little Synthesis Ensemble that I borrowed from my bedroom--which sounds great with them but it needs to go back to the bedroom at some point.  Anybody tried the any of the Virtue products with them?

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm »
I did--it took me less than two hours of listening to buy them.  I'm currently driving them with a little Synthesis Ensemble that I borrowed from my bedroom--which sounds great with them but it needs to go back to the bedroom at some point.  Anybody tried the any of the Virtue products with them?

The up-and-coming model Three amp should work great with these speakers.

Obriendigital

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:31 pm »
I am starting my system and looking at Totem Mites.  Good route to go?  This thread was helpful in pointing out the CBM 170se too.  Looking to spend 500 or so.  Then move up to some GR research speakers in the future.

dboulet

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:44 am »
I thought that I remembered Seth mentioning that Virtue amps don't pair well with Totem speakers. I think that it was here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82160.msg790141#msg790141 . I haven't tried them personally.

catartica

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2011, 10:59 am »
hello, I own a Virtue Sensation and I'm interested in the Vienna Acoustics speakers, especially in the Mozart Grand model; has anyone listened to this combination? thanks Stephan

bardamu

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2012, 03:36 pm »
Hello,
My secondhand sensation is on its way to europe. My choke input outboard power supply only needs a frontplate and a cover to be made. I will use it in a 2.1 with an active svs subwoofer.
Once i did get the advice to take a look at the Gallo acoustics speakers. I am interested in the classico cl-2 model. I did find a shop in Sweden that can send it to me. The Amercian shop will only ship inside the States. Most of the dealers here don't put a lot of work in promoting these speakers.
Anyone did allready have a listen to these speakers connected to a virtue amp?
Here the classico cl-2 will be far more expensive than a sensation amp so i wanna be sure it will not be a mismatch like some of the Totems seem to be.
Thanks in advance, Edward

ismarketing

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2012, 06:41 pm »
I'm running a 2.2 with a pair on Silverline Audio Minuet Supreme Plus's bi-wired with Anti-Cables.  Just glorious sound. Dynamic, open, surprisingly strong/clear bass, and imaging to die for.  Only complaint - can be just a touch damped down at the very top end.

Also - the Minuets are small and beautifully finished.

http://www.silverlineaudio.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=91

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jun 2012, 02:33 am »
I love the Silverline Preludes, Usher S-520s, Ascend CBM-170, Omegas are nice.  I run Fritz at home (love Fritz).  Also, Zu speakers are forward for some.  I love the excitement of them with our amps.  This is by no means an exhaustive list!

abernardi

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:57 am »
Believe it or not, I'm running a pair of Tannoy PBM-6.5 near/mid field monitors (very cheap) paired with the Sensation, upgraded caps, Dodd tube buffer, little closed box wharfdale sub.  Invested in good power cables, IC's and speaker cables and tubes.

VERY GOOD 3 dimensional natural sound.  I wouldn't have believed it because I've had these speakers forever.  They're very lively (not over bright), but nothing spectacular.  But with the right electronics and cables they really shine.

bardamu

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:01 pm »
Hello Abernardi and all the others,
Right now i am using a set of Tannoy revolution signature dc-4t with an svs active subwoofer. I just did buy a secondhand sensation m901 to give the tannoys an easier life with the 80hertz filter. The system is mainly used for tv and movie because i have a big stereo system as well.
A member here called Ozarktom did direct me to the Gallo speakers but he isn't using the model classico cl-2 i am interested in. The price in Europe is however pretty high almost double the price in the States. Actually my tannoys are more expensive here than the classicos in the States.
I am a bit restricted because the speakers have to be small the classicos will just fit. I want a life like sound and usually life like is related to high efficiency. If i listen to the news on my audio system and i am going outsidethe room i have the idea someone is talking inside my room. With the other set up i can hear the tv is still on.
There aren't much of the american speakers available here just the big ones like magnepan, klipsch. Here it is the English, the Germans and the French that domninate the market. The price of labour and parts can be compared. The Gallos are 795$ a set in the USA having to add transport and taxes they will be 1100$ or even more.
I cannot order the Gallos in the Netherlands. In Sweden they cost the equivalent of 1550$ just have to pay the transport and no taxes because of European community. So 1650$ total. They should be a real bargain if they are still better than the local loudspeakers! Gallo in the States will only sell inside their country. If i would live in the States i could buy a classico cl-3 cheaper than a cl-2 model here.
I hope someone did have a mighty good experience with one of the classicos on his virtue amp. Anyone?
In the attachment a photo of a real loudspeaker ( bass bin and speaker American design too but the bin was home made never again ) Hope that the attacment did work
Kind greetings, Edward

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:31 pm »
There is some good news on the Gallo Classico line if you are a consumer. Gallo has decided to sell direct on the Classico line. The Classico CL-2's were $1295 a pair, now $795 a pair.

And the Classico CL-3s, that won a Blue Moon award last year from 6Moons are now $1595 a pair, formerly$2395. the III's ae 88db efficiency with one watt. These migft not be great with the Two.2.

bardamu

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jun 2012, 02:14 pm »
Hello,
These prices are only if you are in the Usa. If you order from their website you cannot fill in the form with other countries than USA. A pity because i like the way they look and i can imagine they will sound right if you just '' feed '' them 80hertz and up.
Still have some time to choose a new speaker. Maybe after branching my sensation with my choke input power supply i will be surprised by the gain in qualioty compared to my cambridge integrated. Then i can start swapping the 100 nf caps. I will use the switch to compare 2 100nf at the time. I will have a Russian paper in oil, a Russian teflon, a siemens which seems to be paper in oil 2 ( i did open up one, it did have 2 roles inside which were in parallel ) a 63 volts French polystyrene with 2 ouput leads on each side, a Jahre silver mica. The french polysterene is very tightly wound, it is small i think it could be very nice. Have about 20 or more( if i start searching for them) so i can make a nice pair.
One of the recommended speakers here has the SCR caps in the crossover i think my 100nf will all be better.
I think using the speakers only above 80 hertz will give them an easier life . Maybe the differences in between them will be reduced?
Kind greetings, Edward

bardamu

« Reply #37 on: 1 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm »
Hello,
If Europeans are buying loudspeakers from the States. I think the '' other side '' should buy European speakers.
Because I just did buy a secondhand sensation m901 which is still at the customs so i commited a sin and did buy a French set of speakers for my 2.1 movie set up.
THey are called elipson planet L ( there is a M too which is smaller). They are available in high gloss white black and red. Maybe i should have gone for the black ones. They are packed in paper crates like they do with eggs and a pair of gloves is included to avoid staines.
My virtue isn't jet connected but i already love the way they sound. If you need big sound levels you will have to add a sub i think. Their sound is natural coherent and spatial. There is a distributor in Canada  because there are some French speaking people in Canada too.
This brand has made loads of design like speakers in the past so they didn't copy other manufactures but they did set an example.
I hope the virtue will amplify its merits even more.
Kind greetings, Edward

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #38 on: 2 Jul 2012, 02:40 am »
Fantastic!  Thanks for the European speaker recommendation.  It's totally insane to send speakers to Europe.  I am smarting from how much money I spent back in 2005 Fedexing speakers to and from China.  Idiotic!!!

cynan

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2012, 06:42 am »
I just snagged a pair of Audioengine P4s on sale for a desktop setup with an original TWO. Haven't got them yet. If space is concern, they're probably worth looking at as they're some of the smallest "full-range" (gets to below 60Hz) bookshelves I've seen and are intended for desktop use. They also get decent reviews, albeit, at $250/pair probably don't compare to some of the other speakers suggested here.

I like Ascend speakers, and imagine the 170s would pair well. I have a pair of Sierras and love the sound with Virtue amps (some might consider them not quite doing the Sierra's justice in the bass department - but I've been very satisfied) and have heard them both pre/post NrT tweeter upgrades; both fantastic.

Another recommendation if your desk can accommodate a slightly larger bookshelf (ie, normal sized) are the HSU HB-1 Mk2. Starts at $300/pair and have gotten favorable reviews as a near-field value-oriented speaker. I recall Stereo Mojo also reviewed them with the Virtue amps in one of their write ups a while back and had good things to say. These are the desktop speakers I'd have likely gone with if I wasn't so space constrained...