NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

jonners

Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #260 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:45 pm »
jonners,   I don't know about the accuracy of the specs on the 2 sites but I have found that cutting gatorfoam on a table saw  works well. Nice clean cuts, very easy to work with. :D

I didn't doubt that a table saw cuts it OK, what amused me was the statement "Gatorfoam is woodlice"!

Donka

« Reply #261 on: 23 Oct 2009, 08:54 pm »
Sedge,

Please fill us in on what you exciters you're using and what panel material you have found best regarding LF and HF.  I am not sure if I followed correctly, but are you using midrange cones and voice coils attached to your panel??  I for sure would like to hear your insight and what final panel material, and size/exciter configuration you settled on.

usp1

« Reply #262 on: 24 Oct 2009, 03:09 am »
I tried running REW with my gatorfoam panels with no frame or spine and the results are similar to Donka's. Bass drops off below 100Hzand no highs above 11KHz. Very disappointing. I tried to play individual test ones at various frequencies and the panels do not produce any sound over 15K Hz.

Donka

« Reply #263 on: 24 Oct 2009, 06:08 am »
USP1,

Sorry to hear you had the same result.  If I have time tomorrow I will do some HF tone tests with glue vs. tape, from what I've seen the tape is dampening HF in addition to the panel.  As an aside if anyone is interested in building these I would have to say that considering the surface flatness of the exciter foot and the panel material, I would definitely buy the 5mil tape or even thinner.  The 10mil seems unnecessarily thick in my opinion, combined with its very soft/stretchy consistency it seems to not hellp our cause since or panel material is already dull in the HF.

I measured the oblong panel w/ the inset sheetmetal panel, but found the increase to the HF was only minimal.  I am going to see tomorrow if I separate the amplification to the different parts of the panel, and add some gain to the sheetmetal if I can bring everything in line.  I probably won't have any time, but I also hope to test the DCX2496 tomorrow applying different parametric eq's.

mkstat

« Reply #264 on: 24 Oct 2009, 11:14 am »
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2009, 04:39 pm by mkstat »

jonners

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #266 on: 24 Oct 2009, 02:38 pm »
Thanks boys for these news Visaton exciters,      Now things are starting to get interesting.
The VISATON EX60 looks a very good exciter, best than the Dayton or the generic, 25W, VC 32mm and neo magnet, it is a all new game for us.
How strange the Visaton papers also ignore the use of multiple exciters.

Donka

« Reply #267 on: 24 Oct 2009, 04:14 pm »
Yes very interesting, the EX60's look money.  The one promising thing for people with the PE exciters is that here they show the Visaton's being used bare with no back support. The Visaton's w/ the plate attached to the foot are purpose built to only be surface mounted with the exciter hanging off the back.  So hopefully ours don't need spine support for longevity.

jonners

« Reply #268 on: 24 Oct 2009, 09:46 pm »
Visaton also have what they call 'Structure-borne sound converters':
http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/koerperschall/index.html

sedge

« Reply #269 on: 24 Oct 2009, 10:56 pm »
donka
I am using el  cheepo exciters from parts express .I am also using dcx and deq to only  monitor the frequency responce, If I can make them sound good without the compensation this would be better.
On 12x24 inch aprox 3 mm ply panel they reach 20k .They are good drivers at a bargain price.

bobloblob

« Reply #270 on: 24 Oct 2009, 11:01 pm »
The Visaton bass "sound converter" sounds like what has been around for years to use in gamers' chairs.  Another one of their "sound converters",

http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/koerperschall/bs76_8.html

is meant for midrange and high-frequency.  Wonder if this might work to supply the missing high frequency on the panels, or would the Gatorfoam dampen these too much?  Many people add super tweeters to their full and wide range drivers to add "air", with no crossover used on the main driver, only a simple cap on the tweeter.  Would this be a possibility here?  My gut feeling is no, but....?

sedge

« Reply #271 on: 24 Oct 2009, 11:10 pm »
jonners
If you move down the page on that site, they tell you about panel materials to use

usp1

« Reply #272 on: 24 Oct 2009, 11:44 pm »
donka
I am using el  cheepo exciters from parts express .I am also using dcx and deq to only  monitor the frequency responce, If I can make them sound good without the compensation this would be better.
On 12x24 inch aprox 3 mm ply panel they reach 20k .They are good drivers at a bargain price.

Sedge,

What kind of ply panel is this? How low does the bass response go? Or would it be better to use some other material for bass?

sedge

« Reply #273 on: 24 Oct 2009, 11:49 pm »
bobloblob
If you think the panel sounds good but feel you need more hf,then I would give it a go if only to see if it works [blends in ] with the panel.

sedge

« Reply #274 on: 25 Oct 2009, 12:55 am »
usp1
they are old panels from my shed,I will use anything if it works.
I have been trying to get gator panels,but until I can get some I will keep trying other types.
the panels xover at 200 hz to 15 inchers.
Will try to do frequancy sweep

jonners

« Reply #275 on: 25 Oct 2009, 09:56 am »
jonners
If you move down the page on that site, they tell you about panel materials to use

Strange, that's nowhere to be seen when I look.

sedge

« Reply #276 on: 25 Oct 2009, 10:24 am »
jonners
It is only a short reference between the two pictures of the panels.
Tone and sound pressure level depend on material used.Soft or heavy [such as sandwich construction ] are not very appropriate,but lighter and more rigid [made from a layer only] is.

sedge

« Reply #277 on: 25 Oct 2009, 11:06 am »
donka
DO your panels sound brighter [more hf ] from the back? I am wondering if the hf travels across the surface from the exciter ,but finds it hard to cross the foam to the front surface?

sedge

« Reply #278 on: 25 Oct 2009, 12:36 pm »
zygadr
I would like to thank you for starting this thread ,if left to nxt I think this product would die a hi fi death, doomed to be stuck on cardboard boxes and toys for all eternity.
If more people interested in audio could hear good sounding panels like yours, we could finaly get rid of the stigma of the 'carboard box' !!.
they are good ,very very good and should taken seriously , but that is easier said than done.
Look forward to hearing from you further on this subject.

usp1

« Reply #279 on: 25 Oct 2009, 03:39 pm »
donka
DO your panels sound brighter [more hf ] from the back? I am wondering if the hf travels across the surface from the exciter ,but finds it hard to cross the foam to the front surface?

I tried checking from the back but there is no difference.